• I have seen a few games were Italy takes all of Africa and becomes a pretty decent power until in meets the U.S.A and loses all of Africa so I was wondering would an Italian navy be a solution to holding Africa or is it just better to reinforce France while defending Rome?

Here is my Idea for a Navy (trying to keep it in SZ 14). Turn 1 a fighter Turn 2 a Carrier Turn 3 a Destroyer, Turn 4 a transport to stop any U.S, U.K ground forces from moving through Egypt and killing the only real source of Italian income while at the same time robbing the U.K of up to 10 dollars a turn plus a NO.

• @Violent.copper:

I have seen a few games were Italy takes all of Africa and becomes a pretty decent power until in meets the U.S.A and loses all of Africa so I was wondering would an Italian navy be a solution to holding Africa or is it just better to reinforce France while defending Rome?

Here is my Idea for a Navy (trying to keep it in SZ 14). Turn 1 a fighter Turn 2 a Carrier Turn 3 a Destroyer, Turn 4 a transport to stop any U.S, U.K ground forces from moving through Egypt and killing the only real source of Italian income while at the same time robbing the U.K of up to 10 dollars a turn plus a NO.

While I like an IT carrier, buying the fighter doesnt do much. You have one already, and a second one placed should be German for defense.

Plaus, you dont know what the allies will do (make It fleet the priority or not). So I save the 10 IPC r1. R2, if it makes sence, I buy an IT carrier. This also generally assures that IT has enough income for the carrier (either by losses due to bombing, or not having NO’s).

• If I were to strenghten the italien navy. I would do 1 cruiser and 1 transport. The sole purpose of this would be to give me the ability to land 4 units with 4 shorebombardments. I think that such a purchase would both strenghten Italy in on the african battlefield and on the eastern front.

• @northstorm:

If I were to strenghten the italien navy. I would do 1 cruiser and 1 transport. The sole purpose of this would be to give me the ability to land 4 units with 4 shorebombardments. I think that such a purchase would both strenghten Italy in on the african battlefield and on the eastern front.

I largely agree with northstorm’s analysis. The benefit of controlling the Med is being able to do amphibious assaults at will, which is necessary for holding the NOs and helping out the Germans with Stalingrad.

If US or the Brits get cheeky and try to take the pond with sea units, I build destroyers rather than carriers or cruisers, however. This is because (1) they’re cheaper as cannon fodder, and (2) they stop the prettier ships from getting nerfed by subs.

• While I don’t think ITA can ultimately defend its fleet if the Allies commit to destroying it, ITA may be forced to build a destroyer and hope for the best.
    The standard I1 play in our group seems to focus on ITA clearing the Med and usually landing in either Egy or T-J. Now, if UK fortifies either of these in UK1, at least one will remain in UK hands and keep the Suez closed. The wrinkle is the purchase of 2 bombers on UK1, so that once the ITA fleet is stuck in sz15, UK can attack with 2 Ftr and 3 bombers. UK should win that battle most times. Once the ITA fleet is gone, protecting Africa is much more feasible for UK, as is protecting Caucasus for Rus.

How does ITA protect against this? Again, hope for the best. In I1 the addition of a dd to the existing fleet in sz14 is a good option, even better if the Ger dd wants to help protect. That would give the ITA fleet a chance at survival. In the games we have played, ITA is pretty limited early without its NO or fleet to move men. The UK has to sacrifice pretty dearly to get the fleet, but it can be done before ITA has a good chance to stop it.

• '20 '18 '17 '15

I generally don’t build up my navy.  Italy starts with so little money that its hard to do.  There’s also little that Italy can do if the Allies decide to focus on your navy and take it out.  There is simply nothing that Italy can buy to prevent it.  I’d rather not risk losing that money on a sinking ship.  I focus on landing as much into Africa as I can before my navy gets whacked.  Hopefully that means I’m cashing in around Africa once that has happened.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m