Accurate Miniature Equivalents for Custom Painting your 1940 E&P

• Customizer

@maverick_76:

How did you manage that? Did you find a great deal or something?

Great as in $250… I figure if anyone is crazy enough to pay that price for a board game it should be me.

@Fearless:

Man this is bad to the bone.  I didn’t read all the pages but you got a price for this yet?

No prices yet. Getting rough estimates, but a) I’ll be on a trip overseas for three months very soon, and b) I want to finish my own set first (if nothing else to time out everything).

I’ll have a website up for ordering sets after I get back from the trip. News will be posted here of course.

• Well that is a good price, I have seen up to $500 for the game. Once it went past $200 I decided that I would rather not purchase it, too much for the amount of enjoyment I would get out of it.

• @Dylan:

@finnman:

It’s is defiantly a ppsh. why would they be holding a tomson. I always thought they were holding a mausin-naguit.

because umm it they can. I also think that a tomson and a tommy gun are different.

Thompsons and Tommy guns are the same thing I am pretty sure. I think Tommy gun is more a 20s/30s gangsters moniker. The main difference is you often see Tommys with the drum, Thompsons with the stick, but almost any gun can use mags or drums, just depends on how much shooting you expect to be doing/weight you can carry.

• TripleA '12

Wow!! Those Soviet troops are so good I could cry! Excellent work!  :lol:

I believe the weapon they’re holding is the PPSh-41 submachine gun. One thing that I noticed though: the standard Infantry are clearly wearing the knee-high black leather jackboots. But the winter troops are not - is this a different sculpt? They look like they’re wearing crumpled trousers… Can you please clarify where you got them?

Thanks!

• Customizer

Pretty sure that’s a mod…  :wink:

• Customizer

@Lozmoid:

Wow!! Those Soviet troops are so good I could cry! Excellent work!  :lol:

I believe the weapon they’re holding is the PPSh-41 submachine gun. One thing that I noticed though: the standard Infantry are clearly wearing the knee-high black leather jackboots. But the winter troops are not - is this a different sculpt? They look like they’re wearing crumpled trousers… Can you please clarify where you got them?

Thanks!

They’re the same sculpts - the knee highs have some folds so they can look like fabric if you paint them the same color as the pants. No moding, just painting.

• Customizer

Ah yeah… I meant ‘mod’ as ‘modification,’ kinda vague I know, but anything from thick paint to whatever. But essentially, the same minis. I did similar to my Brits, didn’t want all of them in shorts…  :wink:

• Customizer

@Viracocha:

Ah yeah… I meant ‘mod’ as ‘modification,’ kinda vague I know, but anything from thick paint to whatever. But essentially, the same minis. I did similar to my Brits, didn’t want all of them in shorts…   :wink:

I’m thinking about going back and doing that. Also thinking about painting 10 Brit infantry with the different Pacific roundel.

• Customizer

Yeah?  That’d be cool.  I also got tired of so many soldiers with rolled up sleeves - solved that one as well  :lol: Are you going to paint your A&A50th? (my favorite edition still).

I’ll show you some of my mods this weekend - posting some individual pics instead the mass ones I did before…

• Customizer

@Viracocha:

Yeah?  That’d be cool.  I also got tired of so many soldiers with rolled up sleeves - solved that one as well  :lol: Are you going to paint your A&A50th? (my favorite edition still).

I’ll show you some of my mods this weekend - posting some individual pics instead the mass ones I did before…

Really most of my current painted set would stand for the A&A50th. I think one of the only real differences are the Italian tanks…?

• Customizer

True - that’s my retentive side coming out (don’t like to swap out pieces for each set). Yeah, the only difference is the Italian tanks I believe - err, and their artillery changed to 88’s in the global I believe (haven’t got a copy yet) - but that’s negligible.

• '12

@Viracocha:

True - that’s my retentive side coming out (don’t like to swap out pieces for each set). Yeah, the only difference is the Italian tanks I believe - err, and their artillery changed to 88’s in the global I believe (haven’t got a copy yet) - but that’s negligible.

Their bomber changed from Japanese to German as well, I think.

• Customizer

Moralecheck - didn’t realize that, huh.  Well, that’s okay I suppose… plan on using FMG minis eventually.

Allwork - started posting some pics of my AA50th if you’re interested, as a fellow painter thought you might be interested…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20025.msg675203#msg675203

• Customizer

@Viracocha:

Moralecheck - didn’t realize that, huh.  Well, that’s okay I suppose… plan on using FMG minis eventually.

Allwork - started posting some pics of my AA50th if you’re interested, as a fellow painter thought you might be interested…

1. I just compared the 1940 series of minis with the A&A50 miniatures. The Italian tanks, strat bombers, and cruisers are different models. Really all of the navy for both Italy and Germany are slightly more refined in the newer minis (the cruisers for both are different). Also: Japanese artillery, US fighters, and SU tanks (maybe some SU navy as well - I didn’t check).

2. Viracocha: Awesome stuff! I especially like the unit badges on their sleeves. I thought about doing something similar, but was already going crazy enough filling up 40 infantry roundels. Just out of curiosity, which setup for A&A50 do you prefer? 1941 or 1942?

3. Just as an update: I have been going on a grinding and cleaning frenzy since I got E1940 (as well as playing the game). The rest of the SU is fully ready to prime, however I’ll be going out of town for the weekend so won’t get started on it until then. Excited about the T-34s! Here’s the total forces I’m painting for the SU:

40 Infantry
    16 Mechanized Infantry
    16 Artillery
    24 Tanks

16 Fighters
    12 Tactical Bombers
    8  Strategic Bombers

8 Subs
    8 Transports
    8 Destroyers
    4 Cruisers
    4 Carriers
    4 Battleships

Heavy on ground, medium on air, and light on navy… Excited about the T-34s!

• Customizer

Thanks man!  I prefer 1941 - with a few house rules (probably because it’s so different from past set-ups).

Huh.  I didn’t realize the cruisers were different.

Yeah… I imagine your roundels take a lot of time and care!

Posted some more…

• '12

@allworkandnoclay:

@Viracocha:

Moralecheck - didn’t realize that, huh.  Well, that’s okay I suppose… plan on using FMG minis eventually.

1. I just compared the 1940 series of minis with the A&A50 miniatures. The Italian tanks, strat bombers, and cruisers are different models. Really all of the navy for both Italy and Germany are slightly more refined in the newer minis (the cruisers for both are different). Also: Japanese artillery, US fighters, and SU tanks (maybe some SU navy as well - I didn’t check).

2. Viracocha: Awesome stuff! I especially like the unit badges on their sleeves. I thought about doing something similar, but was already going crazy enough filling up 40 infantry roundels. Just out of curiosity, which setup for A&A50 do you prefer? 1941 or 1942?

3. Just as an update: I have been going on a grinding and cleaning frenzy since I got E1940 (as well as playing the game). The rest of the SU is fully ready to prime, however I’ll be going out of town for the weekend so won’t get started on it until then. Excited about the T-34s! Here’s the total forces I’m painting for the SU:

40 Infantry
    16 Mechanized Infantry
    16 Artillery
    24 Tanks

16 Fighters
    12 Tactical Bombers
    8  Strategic Bombers

8 Subs
    8 Transports
    8 Destroyers
    4 Cruisers
    4 Carriers
    4 Battleships

Heavy on ground, medium on air, and light on navy… Excited about the T-34s!

I was happy to see the new Japanese artillery piece in AA42/G40.  It’s the same gun, but in firing position.  In the previous games the trailing arms were closed, in tow mode.

• Customizer

UPDATE

Soviet Union Ground Support

Soviet Union Mechanized Infantry

Soviet Union Artillery

Soviet Union Tanks

Soviet Union Ground Support - Flat Green Camo

Soviet Union Ground Support - Temperate Regional Camo

Soviet Union Ground Support - Short Supply Whitewash Camo

Soviet Union Ground Support - Winter Camo

Soviet Union Ground Support - Complete

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Amazing….you are the man.

• So very cool. I can’t wait to see them in play.

• '12

Every time I read through and look at these pics (done it now about 50 times) I am utterly amazed at your talent and patience.  I cannot WAIT to try myself.  You are an inspiration!  I don’t think I’ll try the roundels becuase I’m afraid they won’t be nearly as good as yours, but I may give it a shot in the end.  Either way, I’m waiting until the FMG pieces come to start as I get them.

Can’t wait to see your Gerries and Italians!  Keep up the incredible work man!  :-o

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m