• I havent tried this so take it with a grain of salt:

The key to fending off the India Crush, I think, is the ANZAC fighters.  India should not stand on its own, and for it to survive this all-out attack the Allies (capital A) need to actually work as allies (lowercase A).  Thus, how about moving 3 or 4 of the ANZAC fighters to India as soon as it is clear the Japanese are going all-out against India?  This would need the Allies to hold on to Malaya, but if they can do so, its not hard to start ferrying fighters over to India by Allies Turn 2 and fully reinforced by Allies Turn 3.  Now, in my games, Malaya hasn’t always been held, but it does require a concerted effort by the Japanese to take it… and if there are 3+ fighters plus the staring INF sitting there, its a tough nut to crack.

Now, of course the ANZAC player wont want to vacate Australia until its clear that Japan is going all-out for India - so an early relocation of fighter assets to NT or W Australia would be appropriate – with the intention of getting them to Malaya as soon as reasonably possible.  Though inconvenient, Malaya does offer the ability for those fighters to relocate back to Australia for whatever reason.

So, without much work and depending on the builds, India could have 10+ INF and 6+ fighters on point when the India crush occurs.  Thats a lot of dice to roll.  Its no guarantee to hold off the Japanese, but it does but India in a position that if it falls, the Japanese are going to have to pay a dear, dear price.

• Agree that Anzac fighters are key to the British defense of India if Japan goes all out for Calcutta. Staging area may be important. Anzac fighters may have to stay land in Java, Sumatra, or Malaya. Preferably a location where there are at least 2 infantry to absorb losses. One alternative for the Anzac player is to build an airbase in Western Australia(Perth). Burma is only five moves away, alleviating the need for a risky stage in SE Asia.

The US fighters/TACs in Hawaii can land in the Solomon Islands if there is a J1 attack. From there, they can skip to Burma as well to shore up defenses.

• @elque:

One alternative for the Anzac player is to build an airbase in Western Australia(Perth). Burma is only five moves away, alleviating the need for a risky stage in SE Asia.

ANZAC doesn’t have the cash from the outset to build an airbase.  If it did have the income, then yeah, it would be a great idea… but until it hits one of those NOs - an airbase is pretty much out of the question.  That means staging in a central location is even more important.

• ANZAC has to wait until R2 for the airbase in WAUS so that their fighters can help defend India by R3. It’s safer then moving then moving the FIG to Malaya (Japan can wipe them out if it wants to), and they’re getting there at the same time. Move ANZAC’s 4 FIG to Queensland R1 and that way they’re in position to either defend the Caroline Islands after a US attack or shift to Calcutta.

• Take Korea with the US.
    Build a Major IC there.
    Blockade Japan, retake some mainland.
    India crush will stop.

• @Make_It_Round:

Take Korea with the US. 
    Build a Major IC there.
    India crush will stop.

Take Korea with the US                        -  US1 at best, likely US3
    Build a Major IC there.                          -  US2
    Blockade Japan, retake some mainland.    -  US3
    India crush will stop.                            -  India Crush already happened

• Maybe you don’t get it.

India crush doesn’t matter anymore if you’re economically strangling the Japanese home islands and have a US major IC on the mainland…

• @Make_It_Round:

Take Korea with the US.
    Build a Major IC there.
    India crush will stop.

How can the US take Korea when it can be defended with ships built in SZ6 and planes based on Japan? Wouldn’t Japan see it coming and keep/build some planes to scramble and ships to defend?

• The whole point is guys, if the USA is doing this attack, Japan is pulling forces back.  They wont be spreading like a plague on the mainland and wont be gobbling up the DEI.  The whole point is to continually attack in and around the main island of Japan herself as stated before.  If I am playing Japan and I see this, the threat to my capital is far more important than trying to knock out another capital.  Honestly, the USA can put immediate pressure on Japan really fast.  If you argue that defending ships and planes would thwart or deter or slow the USA advance then you are right.  But also think, what are those units NOT doing, killing India.  It isn’t hard to see.

• The question behind this thread, ‘how do stop Japan from crushing India’, is easy to answer:

Japan will crush India if it wants to, regardless of what the Allies do to try to prevent it, either with a J1, J2 or J3 attack.

The question that should have been asked is: how can the Allies take advantage of Japan going after India to win the game?

If you’re just responding to a Japanese thrust against India then you have already lost the game. If you are playing to force the Japanese player to react to your moves and assume that India is lost, regardless if that’s what happens later, then you’re balancing the odds of winning the game.

Everyone assumes that China will be crushed by Japan (at least no one seems to be discussing how stop Japan from doing it). Better to do the same with the UK.

• Long time reader, first time poster.

Looking at the map here and what if with the US you stack the starting navy and subsequent tt and other navy buys with a naval base in the Aleutians?  Seems to me that from there you can hit both sz6 and 19 with suicide transports and disposable destroyers and subs?  That both poses a threat to the home islands and to the territories bordering sz19.  Carrier based planes in sz8 can hit korea is there are units there as well as japan itself if the landing force is good enough.  I havent seen anyone discuss this route yet. Thought id bring it up and see if i missed anything.

• Customizer

I also wonder if assuming that India is lost and play with a differetn focus is doable.  Not sure though.  I thought that getting the UK planes out of India to Wau and help harass JP money there?

Or flying them with the Chinese to lock down a Chinese stack?

• @jim010:

I also wonder if assuming that India is lost and play with a differetn focus is doable.  Not sure though.  I thought that getting the UK planes out of India to Wau and help harass JP money there?

Or flying them with the Chinese to lock down a Chinese stack?

Or send the planes to Java or Sumatra to stall Japan’s advance and create openings for the US/ANZAC to attack the Japanese fleet.

• Customizer

Tried putting them in Java or Cel - along with AN planes.  Got smashed.  Got to be a better place to send them.

• If Japan really went all out for India, you can quite possibly move the US transport in Hawaii straight to New Zealand, then Java - or even Oz then anywhere. Be prepared to land unprotected fighters on the DEI, and sacrifice ships and planes generally to slow the Japanese down. If it’s a full-on India crush, buying yourself a turn or two is enough to get US or ANZAC troops dropping into the DEI on suicide transports. Be aggressive with your airforce to keep clearing Japanese screening fleets.

India will still fall, but if the DEI are contested by that point then the income balance is still in the Allies favour, just.

• Customizer

Offering up the planes in DEI has gotten them slaughtered for me, and makes it even easier for my opponent to take India since he needs less planes.  India still fell J3 and I don’t know what could be done differnt.  Jav can be taken by JP turn 1 from Car, so using that as the place to land is out.

• A typical J1 attack looks like this.

Japan take Phillipines with 2 loaded trannies from Japan, and Celebes with the Caroline tranny. As fleet protection Japan use a carrier, a cruiser and a destroyer. The rest of the fleet are elsewhere.

A typical J1 purchase will be an Airbase in Kwangsi, because Japan land a lot of planes there, and next turn the fighters/Tacs can reach India and bombers reach the seazone in case UK buy surface ships to use as blockers.

To purchase an UK Airbase on Ceylon is lame, since the J Airbase in Kwangsi will cover the seazone.
    But if UK purchase 2 subs T1, then UK can threaten the Japanese fleet nearby DEI with 2 subs, 4 ftrs and 1 Tac. The Jap fleet is bound for the bottom.

• @Razor:

A typical J1 attack looks like this.

Japan take Phillipines with 2 loaded trannies from Japan, and Celebes with the Caroline tranny. As fleet protection Japan use a carrier, a cruiser and a destroyer. The rest of the fleet are elsewhere.

A typical J1 purchase will be an Airbase in Kwangsi, because Japan land a lot of planes there, and next turn the fighters/Tacs can reach India and bombers reach the seazone in case UK buy surface ships to use as blockers.

To purchase an UK Airbase on Ceylon is lame, since the J Airbase in Kwangsi will cover the seazone.
    But if UK purchase 2 subs T1, then UK can threaten the Japanese fleet nearby DEI with 2 subs, 4 ftrs and 1 Tac. The Jap fleet is bound for the bottom.

A typical move and purchase? That’s the least common possible moves and purchases. U.K. fleets? Kwangsi airbase? Moving only like 2 ships towards India? Try typical being 3 transports for Japan, moving most of fleet towards India, and India purchasing infantry.

• Dear mr Fire Knight.

If Japan move all ships and all planes towards India, and buy 3 trannies J1, then it is a possibility that USA will place a Naval Base on Midway or Wake, and cut Japan down before India is cut down.
    Get it ?

• A naval base in Wake or Midway brings very little to the table. Even if you build it on turn two and move your fleet there the India crush happens on turn three and Japan can easily build nothing but navy to defend their home sea zone.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m