• I’m just trying to figure out the logistics of Air Transports. During a non-combat move, can my Air Transport fly from one zone to an adjacent zone, pick up an Infantry, fly to another adjacent zone, drop it off, and then return to it’s original zone (assuming I’m within it’s 6 or 7 move limit)?
    Thanks.

• Unfortunately, this is only covered in the Combat Movement rules in 8.4 (Transporting Cargo) :

“A Naval Transport may not continue moving after unloading units. An Air Transport must return to a Friendly landing spot.”

Therefore, during Combat Movement an Air Transport could continue moving after unloading units, as long as it returns to a Friendly landing spot.

However, there is no equivalent in the Non-Combat movement rules., but my feeling is that the game mechanics shoud be the same during both phases.

• I guess the question is whether Air Transports operate the same as a Naval Transport, except that rather than their movement immediately ending when they offload, they can use the remainder of their movement to land.

I see 3 different ways they could potentially operate. (This is all non-combat transporting troops.)

1. Air Transports can only move from Zone A to Zone B. The Infantry must be in the same zone as the Air Transport at the start of the turn, and ends the turn in the same zone as the Air Transport.
      (This matches the rules as I understand them for their Combat Movement. Once Air Tranports land, they cannot take off again on the same turn. During Combat Movement, paratroopers are parachuting out of the plane, so they’re not landing.)

2. They can move from Zone A to Zone B, leave the Infantry in Zone B, and then use their remaining movement to land in any friendly zone. The Infantry must start the turn in the same zone as the Air Transport.

3. Air Transports may takeoff and land as many times as they like during their Non-Combat movement, but can only transport a single Infantry during their turn. Move from Zone A to Zone B. Pick up an Infantry. Move to Zone C. Drop off the Infantry. End their turn in Zone D.

or, how about this.
    4) Britain is trying to stream Infantry into France. Air Transport begins it’s turn in London along with 2 Infantry. Air Transport picks up first Infantry, flies it across the channel to Normandy. First Infantry remains in Normandy while Air Transport flies back to London, picks up the second Infantry unit, flies back and ends it’s turn on Normandy alongside the 2 Infantry.
    [and if this is correct, could they do something similar during a Combat Movement, dropping 2 different Paratroopers into combat in the same zone, or even different zones, as long as the Air Transport has enough movement to get back and forth and land…]

I was initially thinking Option #3 is correct, but it would be nice to have some official clarification.

• I think option 4) is definety out, as there in nothing in the rules that allows you to transport more than a single unit in one turn.

There is also an additional scenario not mentionned:

1A. Air transport can only move from Zone A to Zone B, but may pick up an infantry along the way and must end its turn in the same zone where the infantry is unloaded.

Looking forward to read the correct on in the FAQ.

• @noneshallpass I don’t think this has been FAQed, but I remember this discussion in the current YouTube game. I think it was decided that option 3 was correct. I will try to find where we discovered that.

• '18 '17 '16

@ghetty said in Air Transport logistics:

I’m just trying to figure out the logistics of Air Transports. During a non-combat move, can my Air Transport fly from one zone to an adjacent zone, pick up an Infantry, fly to another adjacent zone, drop it off, and then return to it’s original zone (assuming I’m within it’s 6 or 7 move limit)?
    Thanks.

Thanks for bringing to our attention that this was omitted in the rule book. The Air Transport may continue to move up to the limit of it’s movement capacity after it drops off an Infantry class unit on Non-Combat Movement and then land in a friendly territory. The Air Transport and the unit being transported do not have to begin the turn in the same territory. The Air Transport may only transport 1 Infantry class unit per turn.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m