Guam Solo vs crockett36 G40.2 oob

• '18

TripleA Turn Summary: Germans round 12

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Round: 12

Research Technology - Germans

Purchase Units - Germans
            Germans buy 1 armour, 1 artillery, 1 fighter, 10 infantry and 6 mech_infantrys; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Germans
            1 infantry moved from Western Germany to Denmark
            2 fighters and 2 tactical_bombers moved from Western Germany to Denmark
            1 fighter moved from 115 Sea Zone to Denmark
            1 bomber moved from Ukraine to Volgograd
            1 bomber moved from Novgorod to Russia
            1 bomber moved from Novgorod to Russia
            1 bomber moved from Novgorod to Volgograd
            1 tactical_bomber moved from Novgorod to Volgograd
            1 infantry moved from Novgorod to Archangel
                  Germans take Archangel from Russians
            1 fighter moved from Novgorod to Russia
            1 mech_infantry moved from Novgorod to Belarus
            1 mech_infantry moved from Belarus to Smolensk
            1 fighter moved from Novgorod to Smolensk
            1 tactical_bomber moved from 115 Sea Zone to Smolensk

Combat - Germans
            Strategic bombing raid in Russia
                    AA fire in Russia : 1/2 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                1 bomber killed by AA
                Bombing raid in Russia rolls: 4 and causes: 4 damage to unit: factory_major
                Bombing raid in Russia causes 4 damage total. 
            Battle in Denmark
                Germans attack with 3 fighters, 3 infantry and 2 tactical_bombers
                Americans defend with 2 infantry
                    Germans roll dice for 3 fighters, 3 infantry and 2 tactical_bombers in Denmark, round 2 : 4/8 hits, 3.33 expected hits
                    Americans roll dice for 2 infantry in Denmark, round 2 : 1/2 hits, 0.67 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Germans and 2 infantry owned by the Americans lost in Denmark
                Germans win, taking Denmark from Americans with 3 fighters, 2 infantry and 2 tactical_bombers remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
                Casualties for Germans: 1 infantry
                Casualties for Americans: 2 infantry
            Battle in Volgograd
                Germans attack with 2 bombers and 1 tactical_bomber
                Russians defend with 1 armour and 1 factory_minor
                    Germans roll dice for 2 bombers and 1 tactical_bomber in Volgograd, round 2 : 3/3 hits, 1.83 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 armour in Volgograd, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.50 expected hits
                    1 armour owned by the Russians lost in Volgograd
                Germans win with 2 bombers and 1 tactical_bomber remaining. Battle score for attacker is 6
                Casualties for Russians: 1 armour
            Battle in Smolensk
                Germans attack with 1 fighter, 1 mech_infantry and 1 tactical_bomber
                Russians defend with 1 mech_infantry
                    Germans roll dice for 1 fighter, 1 mech_infantry and 1 tactical_bomber in Smolensk, round 2 : 2/3 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 mech_infantry in Smolensk, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 mech_infantry owned by the Russians lost in Smolensk
                Germans win, taking Smolensk from Russians with 1 fighter, 1 mech_infantry and 1 tactical_bomber remaining. Battle score for attacker is 4
                Casualties for Russians: 1 mech_infantry
            Battle in Russia
                Germans attack with 1 fighter
                British defend with 1 bomber; Russians defend with 1 airfield, 1 bomber, 1 factory_major, 2 infantry, 6 mech_infantrys and 2 tactical_bombers
                    Germans roll dice for 1 fighter in Russia, round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0.50 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 2 bombers, 2 infantry, 6 mech_infantrys and 2 tactical_bombers in Russia, round 2 : 3/12 hits, 4.00 expected hits
                    1 bomber owned by the Russians and 1 fighter owned by the Germans lost in Russia
                Russians win with 1 bomber, 2 infantry, 6 mech_infantrys and 2 tactical_bombers remaining. Battle score for attacker is 2
                Casualties for Germans: 1 fighter
                Casualties for Russians: 1 bomber

Non Combat Move - Germans
            1 mech_infantry moved from Novgorod to Bryansk
            1 tactical_bomber moved from Smolensk to Bryansk
            1 fighter moved from Smolensk to Bryansk
            1 mech_infantry moved from Novgorod to Bryansk
            1 armour moved from Novgorod to Bryansk
            1 armour moved from Novgorod to Bryansk
            1 tactical_bomber moved from Volgograd to Samara
            1 bomber moved from Volgograd to Bryansk
            1 bomber moved from Volgograd to Bryansk
            1 bomber moved from Russia to Novgorod
            3 fighters and 2 tactical_bombers moved from Denmark to Western Germany
            1 artillery moved from Normandy Bordeaux to France
            1 infantry moved from Normandy Bordeaux to France
            1 artillery moved from Novgorod to Belarus
            1 artillery moved from Novgorod to Belarus
            1 infantry moved from Novgorod to Belarus
            1 infantry moved from Novgorod to 115 Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from 115 Sea Zone to Finland
            1 aaGun moved from Poland to Germany
            1 infantry moved from Western Germany to France
            1 infantry moved from Germany to Western Germany

Place Units - Germans
            1 armour and 2 mech_infantrys placed in Novgorod
            4 mech_infantrys placed in Western Germany
            1 artillery and 2 infantry placed in France
            4 infantry placed in Western Germany
            1 fighter and 2 infantry placed in Germany
            2 infantry placed in Western Germany

Turn Complete - Germans
            Germans collect 52 PUs; end with 52 PUs
            Trigger Germans 5 Swedish Iron Ore: Germans met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 57 PUs
            Objective Germans 3 Control Caucasus: Germans met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 62 PUs
            Objective Germans 2 Control Novgorod Or Volgograd Or Russia: Germans met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 67 PUs
            Turning on Edit Mode
            EDIT: Adding units owned by Germans to Bryansk: 1 fighter
            EDIT: Adding units owned by Russians to Russia: 1 bomber
            EDIT: Turning off Edit Mode

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

AA fire in Russia : : 0.67
    Germans : 3.00
    Americans : 0.33
    Russians : -1.83

Savegame

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

9.10.20gs.tsvg
    I’m always torn about when to call a game. I feel like it has to be something bigger than Calcutta. Sometimes not. So let’s call it after you take Moscow and begin the analysis. I’m going back to work in the next two weeks so we had better do it sooner rather than later.

• '18

@crockett36 Sounds like a good plan.

• '18

TripleA Turn Summary: Japanese round 12

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Round: 12

Purchase Units - Japanese
            Japanese repair damage of 3x factory_minor; Remaining resources: 94 PUs; 3 SuicideAttackTokens; 
            Japanese buy 3 armour, 1 carrier, 1 fighter, 6 infantry, 1 tactical_bomber and 3 transports; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 3 SuicideAttackTokens; 

Combat Move - Japanese
            1 armour, 1 artillery, 2 bombers, 1 fighter, 5 mech_infantrys and 2 tactical_bombers moved from Samara to Russia
            1 mech_infantry moved from Tambov to Russia
            2 armour and 2 mech_infantrys moved from Kazakhstan to Russia
            1 bomber moved from India to Russia
            1 armour moved from Persia to Northwest Persia
            1 mech_infantry moved from Persia to Northwest Persia
            1 mech_infantry moved from Eastern Persia to Persia
            1 mech_infantry moved from Eastern Persia to Northwest Persia
            1 artillery moved from Persia to Northwest Persia
            1 infantry moved from Yakut S.S.R. to Yenisey
                  Japanese take Yenisey from Russians
            1 battleship, 2 carriers, 1 destroyer, 2 fighters and 2 tactical_bombers moved from 16 Sea Zone to 26 Sea Zone
            2 fighters and 2 tactical_bombers moved from 26 Sea Zone to Hawaiian Islands
            2 armour, 3 artilleries and 7 infantry moved from Japan to 6 Sea Zone
            2 armour, 3 artilleries, 2 carriers, 3 fighters, 7 infantry, 1 tactical_bomber and 6 transports moved from 6 Sea Zone to 26 Sea Zone
            2 armour, 3 artilleries and 7 infantry moved from 26 Sea Zone to Hawaiian Islands
            1 infantry moved from Alaska to 2 Sea Zone
            1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 2 Sea Zone to 3 Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from 3 Sea Zone to Soviet Far East

Combat - Japanese
            Battle in Soviet Far East
            Battle in Russia
                Japanese attack with 3 armour, 1 artillery, 3 bombers, 1 fighter, 8 mech_infantrys and 2 tactical_bombers
                British defend with 1 bomber; Russians defend with 2 aaGuns, 1 airfield, 1 factory_major, 2 infantry and 6 mech_infantrys
                    AA fire in Russia : 3/6 hits, 1.00 expected hits
                    2 tactical_bombers owned by the Japanese and 1 fighter owned by the Japanese lost in Russia
                    Japanese roll dice for 3 armour, 1 artillery, 3 bombers and 8 mech_infantrys in Russia, round 2 : 5/15 hits, 5.33 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 2 aaGuns, 1 bomber, 2 infantry and 6 mech_infantrys in Russia, round 2 : 7/9 hits, 2.83 expected hits
                    2 infantry owned by the Russians, 7 mech_infantrys owned by the Japanese, 1 bomber owned by the British and 2 aaGuns owned by the Russians lost in Russia
                    Japanese roll dice for 3 armour, 1 artillery, 3 bombers and 1 mech_infantry in Russia, round 3 : 5/8 hits, 4.17 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 6 mech_infantrys in Russia, round 3 : 1/6 hits, 2.00 expected hits
                    5 mech_infantrys owned by the Russians and 1 mech_infantry owned by the Japanese lost in Russia
                    Japanese roll dice for 3 armour, 1 artillery and 3 bombers in Russia, round 4 : 5/7 hits, 3.83 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 mech_infantry in Russia, round 4 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 mech_infantry owned by the Russians lost in Russia
                Japanese captures 9PUs while taking Russians capital
                Japanese converts factory_major into different units
                Japanese win, taking Soviet Far East from Russians, taking Russia from Russians with 3 armour, 1 artillery and 3 bombers remaining. Battle score for attacker is -12
                Casualties for Japanese: 1 fighter, 8 mech_infantrys and 2 tactical_bombers
                Casualties for British: 1 bomber
                Casualties for Russians: 2 aaGuns, 2 infantry and 6 mech_infantrys
            Battle in Hawaiian Islands
                Japanese attack with 2 armour, 3 artilleries, 2 fighters, 7 infantry and 2 tactical_bombers
                Americans defend with 1 aaGun, 1 airfield, 8 fighters, 1 harbour and 2 tactical_bombers; ANZAC defend with 1 bomber, 1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber
                    AA fire in Hawaiian Islands : 1/3 hits, 0.50 expected hits
                    1 fighter owned by the Japanese lost in Hawaiian Islands
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 battleship in Hawaiian Islands, round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0.67 expected hits
                    Japanese roll dice for 2 armour, 3 artilleries, 1 fighter, 7 infantry and 2 tactical_bombers in Hawaiian Islands, round 2 : 3/15 hits, 5.50 expected hits
                    Americans roll dice for 1 aaGun, 1 bomber, 9 fighters and 3 tactical_bombers in Hawaiian Islands, round 2 : 6/13 hits, 7.67 expected hits
                    6 infantry owned by the Japanese, 1 bomber owned by the ANZAC, 2 tactical_bombers owned by the Americans and 1 aaGun owned by the Americans lost in Hawaiian Islands
                    Japanese roll dice for 2 armour, 3 artilleries, 1 fighter, 1 infantry and 2 tactical_bombers in Hawaiian Islands, round 3 : 4/9 hits, 4.17 expected hits
                    Americans roll dice for 9 fighters and 1 tactical_bomber in Hawaiian Islands, round 3 : 6/10 hits, 6.50 expected hits
                    1 fighter owned by the Japanese, 1 infantry owned by the Japanese, 3 artilleries owned by the Japanese, 1 tactical_bomber owned by the ANZAC, 1 armour owned by the Japanese and 3 fighters owned by the Americans lost in Hawaiian Islands
                2 tactical_bombers owned by the Japanese retreated
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 armour in Hawaiian Islands, round 4 : 0/1 hits, 0.50 expected hits
                    Americans roll dice for 6 fighters in Hawaiian Islands, round 4 : 2/6 hits, 4.00 expected hits
                    1 armour owned by the Japanese lost in Hawaiian Islands
                Americans win with 6 fighters remaining. Battle score for attacker is 15
                Casualties for Japanese: 2 armour, 3 artilleries, 2 fighters and 7 infantry
                Casualties for Americans: 1 aaGun, 3 fighters and 2 tactical_bombers
                Casualties for ANZAC: 1 bomber and 1 tactical_bomber
            Battle in Northwest Persia
                Japanese attack with 3 armour, 1 artillery and 2 mech_infantrys
                Russians defend with 2 tactical_bombers
                    Japanese roll dice for 3 armour, 1 artillery and 2 mech_infantrys in Northwest Persia, round 2 : 4/6 hits, 2.33 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 2 tactical_bombers in Northwest Persia, round 2 : 2/2 hits, 1.00 expected hits
                    2 tactical_bombers owned by the Russians and 2 mech_infantrys owned by the Japanese lost in Northwest Persia
                Japanese win, taking Northwest Persia from Russians with 3 armour and 1 artillery remaining. Battle score for attacker is 14
                Casualties for Japanese: 2 mech_infantrys
                Casualties for Russians: 2 tactical_bombers

Non Combat Move - Japanese
            1 aaGun moved from Kansu to Tsinghai
            1 bomber moved from Russia to Northwest Persia
            1 bomber moved from Russia to Northwest Persia
            1 bomber moved from Russia to Bryansk
            1 mech_infantry moved from Sikang to Turkmenistan
            1 mech_infantry moved from Sikang to Turkmenistan
            1 artillery, 2 infantry and 1 mech_infantry moved from India to 39 Sea Zone
            1 artillery, 1 cruiser, 2 infantry, 1 mech_infantry and 2 transports moved from 39 Sea Zone to 56 Sea Zone
            1 artillery and 3 infantry moved from Java to 42 Sea Zone
            1 artillery, 1 battleship, 1 carrier, 1 fighter, 3 infantry, 1 tactical_bomber and 2 transports moved from 42 Sea Zone to 56 Sea Zone
            1 tactical_bomber moved from Hawaiian Islands to 26 Sea Zone
            1 tactical_bomber moved from Hawaiian Islands to 26 Sea Zone
            1 submarine moved from 25 Sea Zone to 9 Sea Zone
            1 bomber and 1 fighter moved from Japan to 25 Sea Zone
            1 fighter moved from 25 Sea Zone to 26 Sea Zone
            1 bomber moved from 25 Sea Zone to Midway
            1 mech_infantry moved from Burma to West India
            1 infantry moved from Amur to Korea
            1 bomber moved from Northwest Persia to Persia
            1 bomber moved from Northwest Persia to Persia

Place Units - Japanese
            1 armour and 1 tactical_bomber placed in Caucasus
            1 carrier and 2 transports placed in 6 Sea Zone
            1 armour and 5 infantry placed in Japan
            1 fighter placed in 6 Sea Zone
            1 armour placed in Caucasus
            1 transport placed in 6 Sea Zone
            1 infantry placed in Japan

Turn Complete - Japanese
            Japanese collect 92 PUs; end with 101 PUs
            Objective Japanese 4 Control Dutch East Indies: Japanese met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 106 PUs
            Objective Japanese 3 Control Honolulu Or Sydney Or Calcutta Or Western United States: Japanese met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 111 PUs

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

AA fire in Russia : : 2.00
    AA fire in Hawaiian Islands : : 0.50
    Americans : -4.17
    Russians : 3.83
    Japanese : 0.50

Savegame

• '18

@crockett36 Moscow fell to the Japanese. I took a crack at Hawaii too, a little premature and you held it. I went ahead and finished the round. If you are ready to call it and talk strategy I’d love that. Thank for a great game. How do you want to proceed? Do you want to just just post questions and dialogue here?

I can start by asking about your defense of Calcutta. That was really the main reason I first asked to play you. If you recall, I was curious about counter moves to a Japanese full run at India using a tactic I saw Gargantua use in YG’s tournament. That being the air and navy base purchased on J2 and placed in Kwangsi. With the full Japanese forces assembled in Kwangsi they could strike India J3. The airbase allows the JAF to reach Calcutta providing it landed in Yunan. The Naval base there gave the +1 to the fleet to land jointly. You countered with a preemptive attack on Yunan with UK, as well as the allied navy you pieced together. However, you parked that allied fleet in the Indian Ocean and not as a defensive force to a Calcutta landing. I thought they were both excellent. I didn’t expect the preemptive strike because I anticipated you would keep US out as long as possible. But maybe seeing Seal Lion affected this. The fleet was too tempting to strike. In the end it delayed me. My normal purchase routine would be to buy minor IC’s for Japan. The first minor IC wasn’t purchased until round 3 when I saw the delay. I felt that gave India at least 2 turns or more. I had to build more tanks to make up for the loss of aircraft in the fleet battle. The tank purchases were also a switch in land tactics because you had placed a lot of AA guns in Calcutta and I was already thinning out due to the fleet battle losses. Anyways, that’s how I saw it in this particular theater and might be a good start for our discussion?

I want to say it again - thank you for the great game and all the time you gave it. I learned from it. You are a high level player and I feel I fortunate for how the game went.

• @GuamSolo there were two experiments this game. I tried a radically aggressive and mobile Russia. On the positive side I soared in IPC. On the negative side I gradually lost the advantage in pieces on the board and specifically pieces in Eurasia.

The other experiment was the Indian navy. I thought it worked well but was hampered by Sealion and contributed to the loss of London indirectly. Currently I am thinking that the yunnan stack is more sustainable than Calcutta.

The greatest error maybe was not committing a significant Russian force To China. At the time I considered Calcutta more important.

• '18

The aggressive Russians were both invigorating and scary. I early and high number of battle attritions on the Eastern front were not something I was used to. Because you kept purchasing mobil units you were right back putting pressure on the front. I didn’t feel like I ever had a chance to breath. If there was no sea lion do you think the tactic of only buying fast movers would fair better?

Why did you park the Indian Navy out in the Indian Ocean and not at Calcutta? With a scramble I would have had to allocate planes to cove an invasion and the sea battle already cost me too many planes as it happened.

One of my biggest questions is your opening move for UK. Your Med ships took a defensive posture and you bought an airbase – rather than attacking my Italian battleship. Was this done to help with India? I’ve always thought a UK1 needed to be for defense of Sea Lion. I’m curious about your tactical thinking–although I can see you were driven partly by experimentation. What do you consider the most optimal UK1 purchase?

• '18

@GuamSolo *the early and high number of attritions…

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

I would consider Taranto, Moscow turtle, the Yunnan and London stacks to be orthodoxy. I have a tendency to question the status quo. I have preferred making them attack my ships in the Med, a grab of Scandinavia, liked Shensi better and almost invited a sealion by over investing in the middle east. I have also despised infantry and schemed to get air units into Moscow. I have developed a fade and strike approach tactically, in combination with my operation ricochet strategy which emphasizes the preservation of pieces early on.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

I was trying to delay Calcutta by making you come out to fight me. I figured it would buy me a round or two or three, you needing to get to Malaya for repairs.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

Fast movers could work. I think better in China. But, I think I was tooo afraid to lose my Atlantic navy. I think I should have anticipated and provoked a large battle that you could win, but at great cost. With the caveat that I had another wave behind it to replace some of the loses.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

The airbase allowed the scramble into both seazones and a one move jump to Calcutta. another innovation.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

a questionable innovation.

• '18

@crockett36 I think the Indian navy achieved what you wanted. In hindsight though, it may have been smarter for me to ignore and go straight for Calcutta. It dawned on me afterwards that the Indian Navy is powerful in defense only. In attack it would have to go in parts, each of which too weak without the whole.

• '18

@crockett36 The airbase in the Med became moot once London fell I think

• '18

@crockett36 Are you talking about a provoking a large battle in China, by using Russians?

• '18

When do you want to start our next game? At least this time we can use the updated version of Triple A.

• @GuamSolo yes. Argothair mentioned something about Japan not being able to do it all. So make trouble in China, in Indian Ocean and in Calcutta. And a force in the north.

Can I get your feedback on what you would have done differently or would you like to try to show me? I could employ the same tactics. Sealion and Calcutta crush?

• '18

@crockett36 The primary thought I have regarding your game strategy would be tied to the Sea Lion invasion. I could be wrong, so correct me if so, but my guess is that losing London hurt your grand strategy. I recall in the A&A forums your discourse on the game being largely about economics and the ability to wage war through maintaining the economic ability to do so. There wasn’t really anything, or enough, purchased on UK1 for the defense of London. When I saw the air base purchase and focus on the middle east UK1 that is when I really thought about Sea Lion. My G1 purchases kept me flexible for either an all out Barbarossa or Sea Lion.

I respect so much your input in the “Allied Playbook” topic of the A&A forums that I carved out notes from it. You wrote in there the order of strategic defensive objectives: 1. London, 2. Atlantic, 3. Moscow, 4. Egypt, 5. India, 6. Pacific. Did my J1 concentration of forces in Kwangsi give away that I was going “all-in” for Calcutta and entice you to think of Egypt and the middle east early? You did say the airbase was an experiment though, so maybe you planned that before we started. In a sense, your UK1 purchases reprioritized your defensive objectives. After London’s fall I kept an eye on how much you could attempt to recapture London with and tried to re-enforce it enough to make it cost something. I remember sacrificing some of my navy as blockers to keep you out of London and give me more time to build it up. In the end, I think I kept you out of London long enough that UK Europe was not able to invest into the middle east which helped Japan vs. Indian Navy and also in taking Moscow. And the battle to liberate London left the Allies fairly depleted for D-Day for a couple of rounds. It would have helped you if the battle to liberate London didn’t cost so many units. But that is what happened to me vs. the Indian navy and it set me back a couple rounds.

You wrote in your essays - Destroy the ability to wage war - (for the allies) the radical dashing of the economic ambitions of the Axis (would lead) to capitulation. It’s hard to know what the ambitions are turn one, but a defensive London purchase on UK1 deters my Axis ambition and probably removes one place of battle. As the Axis I like having the option of Sea Lion or Barbarossa. You also talk about choosing the place of battle. Would your principle apply here if the UK1 purchase can help determine the place of the battle by eliminating an Axis Sea Lion choice?

Also, you mentioned in this thread earlier that you lost the advantage in pieces in Eurasia, and maybe this is in part to the mobility experiment. We were trading pieces pretty heavily on the eastern front. Three tactical air purchases can be 11 infantry. 3 units verses 11 units - so that had to play some role in the end too. But maybe the infantry, taking longer to get to the battle, would’ve allowed me to catch my breath as well and reorganize. Anyways, I think economically the game favored me for most of it. Even when you retook London Japan was already growing fairly large.

I’m really curious how tournament play goes. Do you see a fair bit of experiments or gambits? Or is play fairly standard (orthodox as you put it)? When we reverse sides and play I’d like to try my hand against whatever you consider the most optimal Axis game strategy - without giving way to predictability of course. Thanks!

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

So I forgot that my third experiment with the game was the reprioritizing of London. I was tickled with the notion that London was the easiest place for the Americans to mix it up with the Germans. Ergo, KISS would indicate that removing the logistics of supporting Moscow would make the supply chain more efficient. Sealion should be the easiest way to “switch dance partners”, Us v Ger, Rus, Engl v Jap. So I invited a Sealion.

But, and I saw this in another game, there is a giddiness to pushing the Gerries around. It’s more money, it’s direct punishment, etc that made me abandon the dance card switch and all in on KGF. The math continued to be good for the Allies until the end, but in the wrong places and buying the wrong goods.

Orthodox play would have helped in:
    preventing Sealion by investing in London t1. Letting my other experiments play out.

1. If the Sealion experiment was attempted, I should have provoked a naval battle (with a replacement fleet in the wings) that destroyed your navy and much of your air power earlier. I might have

2. stranded your army on the Island and gone for the throat as well. The math was working and I could have accomplished something (destroying Europe with a Berlin crush). My obsession with protecting my infrastructure (costly transports) counterbalanced my excellent position.

3. Or If I just wanted to follow the original plan then I should have pushed into China instead of trying to get to Calcutta. This would have invigorated the Chinese, depressed Japanese income, pulled resources from the assault on Calcutta, and protected my Eastern holdings in toto.

These conclusions do not prohibit or even speak to the creation of the Indian Ocean fleet or the use of a more mobile Russian army, except that more of the Russian purchases would need to be infantry and assigned to defend Moscow and slow the advancing Krauts.

Conceptually I admit that three or four experiments in one game are too many. Way too many.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m