Painting Techniques for 15mm Infantry, 1/285 Micro Armor and 1/2400 Navy Metals/

• Thanks for the info.  I was thinking about painting some pcs next year. 
    I have several sets of revised units that I ordered  2yrs ago when you could still get spare units.

• what kind of brushes do you use? (can you take a pic and post it?)

• I go to Hobby Lobby, or Walmart, and get the package of “small detail” brushes. They are cheap, and may “fray”, but when I get one of those, I just toss it and get the next one out.
    –------
    I use medium width to apply the base colors.

I use the wider brushes for dry-brushing and weathering.

I use the tiny, sharp-tipped brushes for details.

• PanzerPainter, what do you use to seal your paint jobs. The guys I play with are really rough on my toys so I had to resort to sealing the paint with MinWax Polyshades.

Problem is, even the satin is rather glossy though it does a nice job shading and protecting.

• Go to Walmart, and get Krylon matte finish spray paint. It is really good. Yu can put on 1 coat, wait 3 minutes, add another coat. And if you really want it to look dusty dry, then add a 3rd coat of very fine dry mist (hold the can about 3 feet above the models, and let just a light spray land on them - its already dry by the time it hits the model). If you have any glossy areas, that will kill the gloss for good, and you can add coats anytime.

• '21 '18 '17 '15

It is always good to learn new tricks. Many years ago i painted my 2nd edition pieces. Some were a bit rough but i was happy with them. I brought the revised version and i learned how to do a black wash, worked well on my ships. Have just received the new aa40 pacific and europe, my new painting project begins.  :-)

• I finally got around to getting an order for board game troops, and have a new thread for them. I have a better idea now whats involved in doing them, and what they should cost.

• been busy trying to stick some Soulhunters and my god they are a pain to put together

no pictures to post at the moment but for skarres cloak i will be painting it dark green

• been busy trying to stick some Soulhunters and my god they are a pain to put together

no pictures to post at the moment but for skarres cloak i will be painting it dark green

• Customizer

Ahhhh - greetings Panzerpainter.  I slap some paint around myself - I like your work.  So, it appears that you base your work on size rather than time involved? In regard to the micro, the $1.50 to $2 each, what defines this disparity if you don’t mind me asking? Just curious…

• My orignal plan was simply to add magnets to my carriers, fighters and tac bombers so they wouldn’t flop around so much, then I thought it’d be great if my Heavy Bombers were on stands so they didn’t take up so much space, then I accidentally clicked into Dangermouses thread and BAM I saw how truely Awesome my units could look. That was lastnight, today I went and bought new brushes (as the ones I use for ceramics wouldn’t be good for the scale work I’d be looking at) and started working over my Japanese fighters. I’m using Acrylics though, should I switch to water colors? Also, you mention a loss of customers through your explinations, I intend to buy more units anyway eventually, is there a place I can view your works and prices?

• @Viracocha:

Ahhhh - greetings Panzerpainter.  I slap some paint around myself - I like your work.  So, it appears that you base your work on size rather than time involved? In regard to the micro, the $1.50 to $2 each, what defines this disparity if you don’t mind me asking? Just curious…

Combination of size and level of detail. The cheaper stuff being painted to gaming standards (simple, normal, or fine detail) or whether it is painted for collecting/display purpouse, in simple, normal, …… blah blah blah. The very small micro-armor would have no real details; just over-all coloration, inking, highlights. I try to estimate something that gets me slightly above minimum wage per hour actual time involved. If I can do many of the same things at one time, I can make better per hour, or if I screw around I can make a buck an hour, lol.

• @Carnage:

I intend to buy more units anyway eventually, is there a place I can view your works and prices?

Send me an e-mail directly (links here dont always work) at timdrocks@mchsi.com
      I dont have a set “gallery” but I can send a few samples if you specify what kinda stuff. Prices are hard to explain, but I have a rough quoting “guide” I can e-mail you. I am running about 2 to 3 months behind still. Life has not stopped being crazy yet, but it has to come winter.
      I tend to not get to these boards very often, so e-mails are best.
    Thanks. Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving.

• If I mess up horribly and botch the painjob, is there a good way to take all the paint off without dammaging the minuature?

• '18 Customizer

If you have used acrylic paints, it can be removed. What kind of miniatures are they? Plastic, metal or resin.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m