• a couple of questions:
    1. usa takes over japan and eliminates all their men. german slowly comes back and claimes japan land and eventually gets tokyo back (by a battle usa vs germany). What happens now? does this land go back to japan even though they have no men left? I was under the impression whoever wins the battle claims the land and it doesn’t matter who the original owner is. If this is true then once your country’s men are completely eliminated is it far to say they are out for the rest of the game?
    2. once germany hits 63 IPCs do they still collect IPC when they claim more land? or is the max 63 IPCs no matter what?

i look forward to your response.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Once a capitol is liberated all the territories that nation starts the game with, that are under the control of any of their allies, returns to their control.

Thus if Germany conquered all the lands that Japan originally held before liberating Japan, then Japan would be restored to 30 IPC worth of land and Germany would lose control of the lands it had conquered.

This is one of the reasons that some players will stop just short of liberating a capitol if they do not think they are in a position to maintain their winning streak.

• @sanya33:

a couple of questions:
    1. usa takes over japan and eliminates all their men. german slowly comes back and claimes japan land and eventually gets tokyo back (by a battle usa vs germany). What happens now? does this land go back to japan even though they have no men left? I was under the impression whoever wins the battle claims the land and it doesn’t matter who the original owner is. If this is true then once your country’s men are completely eliminated is it far to say they are out for the rest of the game?
    2. once germany hits 63 IPCs do they still collect IPC when they claim more land? or is the max 63 IPCs no matter what?

i look forward to your response.

WOW. Where to start…
    Question 1. If you lose your capital (Japan in this case) you collect no income but you can move any existing pieces you have. You can do combat and/or move units including AA guns and ships in your non-combat phase. Once all your pieces are gone, you sit and wait basically. Now, if your partner liberates your capital, (Take it back, as you described above) it brings you (Japan) back into the game. On your next turn, if it is still owned by you, you collect income for whatever land you own. Then you return to normal game play as long as you own it.

Question 2. There is no limit for IPCs for any country. The more land you own the more you make. You will need to use an extra marker so that the total of the 2 markers equals you currently IPC income. (Easiest way to do it)

Hope that helps…

Please read and understand the manual, as I think you may have more issues than these.

• just so I get this straight. usa has taken over all japan’s originally own territories. japan has no men left. german comes in and slowly re-claims japan territories - either by battle or just blitz through them with tanks. however german does not have tokyo yet. all these territories that japan originally had and german has taken them over from usa are now back in japan hands and japan collects ipc? (even though they can’t actually can’t claim their ipc cuz they have lost tokyo). am i correct?

• '19 Moderator

In that case until Japan is liberated the former Japanese lands are owned by the current occupier.  As soon as tokyo is liberated all territories originaly owned by japan reverts to Japans control, but not until Tokyo is liberated.

• ok so if tokyo is still in usa hands, and german is slowly taking over japan from the usa (but hasn’t yet captured tokyo back) all IPC’s are going to germany? once germany gets tokyo back from usa japan is back in the game with IPCs and all japan land that germany captured is now japan’s? (and the IPC are subtracted from germany)?

• '19 Moderator

You got it

• Not quite.

No IPC’s are transfered from Germany to Japan when Tokyo is liberated.  Japan will not get ANY IPC’s until their first turn of play after liberation (they get liberated by Germany, then UK goes, then Japan has a turn, but no cash to spend so they cannot buy anything that turn.  At the end of that move, they can collect income for all of the territories they control (which will be Tokyo as well as any “yellow” territories that Germany had taken control of prior to Tokyo being liberated).  Then on the following turn, Japan can purchase units with the cash collected…  assuming USA has not re-taken them during that time…

Upon Liberation, the TERRITORIES change hands, and Germany stops getting paid for them, but no cash changes hands for those territories from Germany to Japan.

Based on the way a previous post was worded, I thought that needed to be clarified

• Which means you would have to consider if the 22 IPC loss to the Axis was worth it.

• Very true…

In this example, Germany liberates Tokyo (how in the hell do they have that kind of fleet in the Pacific… but alas I digress…).  Then Japan just gets a turn (in the example, they have no forces left, so they cannot attack).  They collect their income and they SIT, with only the German liberation force to defend Tokyo from re-capture by the US.

If they survive that, Germany moves, and collects $22 less than they did the last turn (still amazed at a German fleet that liberated Borneo, EI, NG, Phil, Oki and THEN Japan with the US in control of Tokyo…).

Then FINALLY Japan gets to build $30 worth of units, but again they have no units on the board, so build is all they get to do… Then the US gets to go AGAIN…

As it says in the OOB… “It is a long road back from losing a capital.”

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Liberating Japan is worth it if Germany has complete domination of the Pacific and wants to set up an Atlantic attack strategy.  In that case, America is in no position to reconquer Japan and thus Japan should have at least half a dozen rounds to build a fleet, easily done at 30 IPC a round.  Meanwhile, the infrastructure that Germany has in Asia will be turned over to Japan.

Sure it’s a hit to Germany, but presumably, if you are doing that kind of damage, you own all of Asia at least that’s +24 for Russian territories, +4 IPC for the Chinas and presumably +4 or 5 for Persian, India and maybe T-J as well.  So it’s not like Germany is going to miss the cash.

• '19 Moderator

Your right switch, I should have been more clear…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m