Mountainous/snowy defender bonus

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

No, just that the Russians knew the terrain better so knew where to drive and where not to drive while other nations (specifically Germany) were busy getting stuck in the med and permafrost.

• yeah
    it could have been pretty fun too if the Japanese attacked Russia
    not a walk in the park like in game

• Shouldn’t mountainous also limit armor movement?  I think if you are going to include physical characteristics to the map that certain other characteristics should be built in…such as the sahara should no long be impassible but should eat extra movement up or something along those lines.  What about heavily forrested or jungle areas etc.?

• @Yemble:

Shouldn’t mountainous also limit armor movement?  I think if you are going to include physical characteristics to the map that certain other characteristics should be built in…such as the sahara should no long be impassible but should eat extra movement up or something along those lines.  What about heavily forrested or jungle areas etc.?

umm the sahara isn’t impassible. you’ll just die of dehydration. and I don’t think tanks would really work in the desert. wouldn’t they sink? but your right tanks can’t blitz in the mountains.

• afrika corp worked okay fairly well in desert terrain

• @Yemble:

afrika corp worked okay fairly well in desert terrain

yeah thats why i wasn’t sure.

• yeah those are all fine ideas

AARHE has them in this form:

*all land units must stop on entering desert/mountainous terrain
    *desert upkeep 1 IPC per unit
    *Sahara is changed from impassable to desert, Saudi Arabia is also desert

• when do people pay for the upkeep of their units?  I would suggest at the begining of the round not their turn….and if they don’t those units are eliminated or they can’t move or defend or what?  I would suggest elimination…but i am a cold hearted bastard so.

I’d say at the end of their turn.  So you better save the cash, cause if you don’t then the units you don’t pay for cannot attack or defend this turn. =)

• Well if its the begining of your turn then the unit will still be able to defend until your turn.

Yup, but if you don’t have the cash for the upkeep at the start of your turn, the unit turns off until the start of your next turn.

If it’s at the end of your turn, you could declare your combats and hope to win so you can afford the price to keep your army going.

(I’d also say that there is no upkeep cost for YOUR units in YOUR capitol.)

• Upkeep is only for units traveling into or thru the Sahara desert. The cost is paid on the turn following your units moving into these territories so you don’t have to save money if you change your mind in a turn.

• by the way in AARHE you collect income at the beginning of your turn, you pay then upkeep before purchases

Imperious Leader, in the latest AARHE file
    *you are not allowed to not pay
    *if you can’t pay its carried forward
    *and nothing happens if you can’t pay

Pay 1 IPC for every unit occupying a desert terrain or transport. Pay 1 IPC for every land unit offloaded in an amphibious assault or airborne drop during your last turn. If you don’t have enough income to pay the balance will be carried to next turn.

need any adjustments?

maybe units not paid should not move?
    but that makes them stay in the desert and the costs goes up and then suddenly you pay a big bill
    sort of weird

maybe if you don’t pay they can’t move, balance not carried forward
    second tiem around they die (surrender/disband/etc)

again to avoid weirdness
    maybe airborne drop costs should be paid in real time

• Yea disregard my post. Your correct.

• what about commenting on potential adjustments?

• Imperious Leader, in the latest AARHE file
    *you are not allowed to not pay
    *if you can’t pay its carried forward
    *and nothing happens if you can’t pay

Pay 1 IPC for every unit occupying a desert terrain or transport. Pay 1 IPC for every land unit offloaded in an amphibious assault or airborne drop during your last turn. If you don’t have enough income to pay the balance will be carried to next turn.

need any adjustments?

maybe units not paid should not move?
    but that makes them stay in the desert and the costs goes up and then suddenly you pay a big bill
    sort of weird.

++++ if you didn’t allocate resources for tasks that require upkeep you MUST pay for it in any event on your following turn.

maybe if you don’t pay they can’t move, balance not carried forward
    second tiem around they die (surrender/disband/etc)

++++ no no too complicated… keep it simple.

again to avoid weirdness
    maybe airborne drop costs should be paid in real time.

Yes these however are not upkeep. Id rather remove the moniker “upkeep” and replace with “Logistical Cost”

• ++++ if you didn’t allocate resources for tasks that require upkeep you MUST pay for it in any event on your following turn.

yes you must pay
    its is the rules

what I am referring to is that if you didn’t have money to pay

++++ no no too complicated… keep it simple.

yes want to keep it manageable
    just that I found a situation not covered as above

Yes these however are not upkeep. Id rather remove the moniker “upkeep” and replace with “Logistical Cost”

thats fine, we don’t actually mention the word “upkeep”

so what does mean?
    do you agree with paying for airborne drop same turn rather than next turn?

• I feel for attacks you need to pay for airborne and invasions first.

for movement in Sahara you can pay current turn (in advance) or next turn.

Because movement is less burdensome on economy than offensive actions.

• yeah so pay for airborne drops and invasions in advance
    if you don’t end up doing it you get the money back yeah?

so what about unable to pay for Sahara? those units cannot attack this turn?

• Right they cant attack. they can only move correct. make it so.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m