• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Need an el-cheapo laptop.  Like 100GB HDD, 1GB DDR RAM, 720 resolution, 14-15" screen, win xp or vista.  Any ideas where i can find a cheap one?  HP is preferred, but he’s just a guy, he doesn’t need anything over the top for Christmas!  He just needs something to bring to and from Great Lakes Naval that he can leave in the car accidentally or drop, or put in a cannon and shoot, you know how you guys are!

• Yep.  I know how guys are.

Which I why I have a mid-tower case DESKTOP!
    :-D

@ncscswitch:

Yep.  I know how guys are.

Which I why I have a mid-tower case DESKTOP!
    :-D

We don’t use desktops and he is forbidden to touch my laptop.  Especially after he dropped his laptop off a training boat in Lake Michigan!

So I need to find him a new one, but I can’t seem to find any in the $300/$400 range.  Best I can find is $529.99 but at least it’s an HP!

• That is not a bad price for a laptop Jen.

But if you want a real deal…

Wait 2 weeks, watch the sales fliers, and be ready to go to Best Buy or Circuit City or Staples, or wherever at O’Dark-Thrity on Black Friday.

You SHOULD be able to get a $399 laptop as a “doorbuster” at one of those stores if you are there first thing and head straight for it when the doors open.

You just have to decide if it is worth the effort to save $130 bucks to go through the headaches…

$130 bucks is a lot of money though.

• '19 Moderator

I picked one up for my wife at best buy, I think it was in the $300 to $400 range.  They don’t stay in stock long…

I get a best buy add in the paper every week.  I went in the after noon it went on sale and got the last one.  It was an accer, don’t remember the specs but basic.

• You realize you are getting a cheap laptop when you go cheap?  I guess if there is the danger of it becoming an underwater relic, that may be smart to do.

You can try refurbished on Dell, but I don’t think theirs are that cheap.  Or maybe clearance somewhere.

Yea, but he only needs to open PDF files, Outlook 2002 and Word 2002.  Not like he needs anything as powerful as my graphing calculator, let alone a high gloss, wide screen with surroundsound laptop with 2 dual processors and 4 gig of memory, ya know?

• Where to buy cheap laptops?

somwhere in the heart of a communist regime in the jungles of asia. (cracks whip, make me my shoes, make me my plastics and my computers. but comrade why do you opress us so? Angrily says am I not the one who gives you a shinny quarter every week. now be grateful.  cracks whip agian)

@cyan:

Where to buy cheap laptops?

somwhere in the heart of a communist regime in the jungles of asia. (cracks whip, make me my shoes, make me my plastics and my computers. but comrade why do you opress us so? Angrily says am I not the one who gives you a shinny quarter every week. now be grateful.  cracks whip agian)

Wow, you pay too much, Comrad!  A whole quarter is worth at LEAST the labor of 3 moons and a fortnight!

• Come to Iraq. You can find them for 20 bucks. :wink:

• Why not get him a palm then?  Or a Blackberry?  A laptop seems like overkill.

@Jermofoot:

Why not get him a palm then?  Or a Blackberry?  A laptop seems like overkill.

He wants a keyboard that he can type on.  He also likes to attach a mouse, and I can’t blame him, I use a mouse for my laptop too!

• @Cmdr:

@Jermofoot:

Why not get him a palm then?  Or a Blackberry?  A laptop seems like overkill.

He wants a keyboard that he can type on.  He also likes to attach a mouse, and I can’t blame him, I use a mouse for my laptop too!

Not a problem, you can get those as well.  A wireless mouse would be better, IMO.

Yea, but I don’t think palms are that advanced.  I have one, it does more crashing then talking to my Mac.  Works okay with my PC, but then again, my PC runs Windows 98b everything works with that!

Besides, I don’t think he wants to be limited to a 2 inch display with itty bitty keys or multiple things to assemble, you know?  Best just to get him a real laptop, just a cheap one.  By the time I get a PDA ($250) + Keyboard, + Memory + Mouse I think it’ll be more then just a laptop.

Gunna take the suggestion of looking at Midnight on gluttony day.  Hopefully find something there.

• @Cmdr:

@cyan:

Where to buy cheap laptops?

Wow, you pay too much, Comrad!  A whole quarter is worth at LEAST the labor of 3 moons and a fortnight!

1 quarter for the whole factory, comrade!

• '19 Moderator

• 2007 AAR League

even cheaper yet!

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9749768-1.html

$150!  i knew i heard about them before.  they are made with the intention of every schoolchild in the world being able to afford one.  so that means in the future they’ll even get cheaper.

Wow, almost perfect!

Wonder if I can upgrade it to 512 ram?  Just worried he won’t have enough to run MS Office 2007 Ultimate Edition….it chews up memory bad…think Win 95 with Active Desktop installed, for you old timers out there…Sorry I upgraded, but I had too. Couldn’t read my school files anymore on XP hehe.

Anyway, I’ll have to look into giving them a call tomorrow.

• 2007 AAR League

@balungaloaf:

even cheaper yet!

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9749768-1.html

$150!  i knew i heard about them before.  they are made with the intention of every schoolchild in the world being able to afford one.  so that means in the future they’ll even get cheaper.

I was excited about that link too until I read the comments and found this:
    http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772144-1.html

Also, the laptop runs linux, which I have just switched to (again) at home, but this time for good. Ubuntu 7.10 - everything worked like a charm pretty much off the bat, and the Compiz Fusion window manager makes Vista look like Windows 3.1.

Just can’t get triplea to work yet :( …

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m