• Which of these teams was the best in NFL history?

I know its not football season, but I needed to talk football.

• '10

60’s Green Bay Packers without a doubt.  5 championships in 7 years, including 3 in a row. no other team has won 3 in a row

• I’m with johnnymar on this one.

• (a little dated but…)

How many Steeler fans does it take to change a light bulb?

Five. Only 1 to change the bulb but you need the other four to talk about how great the light bulbs were in the 70’s.

Gotta go with the Browns and the whole ‘inventing’ modern football thing.

• Depends on what you mean by Greatest.  For obvious reasons: '72 Dolphins.

I’d agree with the 60s Packers, but <gag>, as much as I hate to admit, I think the 00s Patriots could be considered the best of any decade.</gag>

• I do think the early 90’s Cowboys were the best team in NFL history. The team played in monster NFC east divsion and dominated. They beat up on a Buddy Ryan Eagles team, late era Bill Parcell Giants and a Joe Gibbs Redskins. The 1994 49ers had to ‘rent’ a mercenary team of seasoned free agents to defeat the Cowboys.

Had, modern day free agency not raked the 90’s Cowboys of talent, Dallas would have won another championship. Jimmy Johnston departure also hurt the team.

Here are some of the names Dallas Cowboys lost to free agency between 92-96.
    linebacker Ken Norton Jr, safty Thomas Everett, WR Alvin Harper, DE Jim Jeffcoat, Safty James Washington, DT Russell Maryland, LB Dixon Edwards, LB Robert Jones, DE Tony Casillas, G John Gesek, DE  Jimmy Jones, G  Kevin Gogan, WR/ PR Kelvin Martin, DB Kenny Gant.  This does not include most high level coordinators and postion coaches.

• '10

Hall of Fame players/coach on the 60’s Green Bay Packers:
       * 26 Herb Adderley, CB, 1961–1969
       * 87 Willie Davis, DE, 1960–1969
       * 75 Forrest Gregg, OT, 1956; 1958–1970
       * 5 Paul Hornung, HB, 1956–1962; 1964–1966
       * 74 Henry Jordan, DT, 1959–1969
       * Vince Lombardi, Coach, 1959–1967
       * 66 Ray Nitschke, LB, 1958–1972
       * 51 Jim Ringo, C, 1953–1963
       * 15 Bart Starr, QB, 1956–1971
       * 31 Jim Taylor, FB, 1958–1966
       * 24 Willie Wood, S, 1960–1971

In 1965, they defeated a great Cleveland Browns team in Jim Brown’s last NFL game.
    In 1966 and 1967, they defeated great Dallas Cowboys teams (greatest in Cowboys history as far as I’m concerned) to go to and win the first 2 SuperBowls.  The 1967 game being the famous “Ice Bowl”.

Had, modern day free agency not raked the 90’s Cowboys of talent, Dallas would have won another championship. Jimmy Johnston departure also hurt the team

had Vince Lombardi not retired and all the players not aged, The Packers would have won every SuperBowl.  Unfortunately, he did and they did.

• '10

Ken Norton Jr, safty Thomas Everett, WR Alvin Harper, DE Jim Jeffcoat, Safty James Washington, DT Russell Maryland, LB Dixon Edwards, LB Robert Jones, DE Tony Casillas, G John Gesek, DE  Jimmy Jones, G  Kevin Gogan, WR/ PR Kelvin Martin, DB Kenny Gant.

which one of those players went on and did anything with another team.  they were all well past their expiration date or were overrated to begin with.  Ken Norton was good, but was old by the time he left the Cowboys.  Kevin Gogan??? I dont think the Cowboys were too upset when he left.

• @johnnymarr:

In 1965, they defeated a great Cleveland Browns team in Jim Brown’s last NFL game.
    In 1966 and 1967, they defeated great Dallas Cowboys teams (greatest in Cowboys history as far as I’m concerned) to go to and win the first 2 SuperBowls.  The 1967 game being the famous “Ice Bowl”.

Had, modern day free agency not raked the 90’s Cowboys of talent, Dallas would have won another championship. Jimmy Johnston departure also hurt the team

had Vince Lombardi not retired and all the players not aged, The Packers would have won every SuperBowl.  Unfortunately, he did and they did.

I agree that the late 60’s early 70’s Cowboys teams were great, but they lost more Championships than they won. ( That’s hard to says being a Cowboys fan).

• '10

but they lost more Championships than they won.

only because they played the 60’s Packers

• @johnnymarr:

In 1966 and 1967, they defeated great Dallas Cowboys teams (greatest in Cowboys history as far as I’m concerned) to go to and win the first 2 SuperBowls.  The 1967 game being the famous “Ice Bowl”.

Those Packer teams would not have survived intact in the modern NFL structure. Much like the Cowboys of the 90’s and Patriots of the 00’s free agency would have taken many players away. I wish players would retire with the teams that drafted them. It’s was rough for myself watching Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith in different uniforms.

• '10

I thought we were talking greatest teams, not great teams with potential to win more if it wasn’t for this and that

• '10

Those Packer teams would not have survived intact in the modern NFL structure. Much like the Cowboys of the 90’s and Patriots of the 00’s free agency would have taken many players away. I wish players would retire with the teams that drafted them. It’s was rough for myself watching Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith in different uniforms.

Herb Adderley and Forrest Gregg ended their careers with the Cowboys
    Vince Lombardi ended his career with the Redskins
    Jim Ringo ended his career with the Eagles
    Jim Taylor ended his career with the Saints

• I would also submit the possibility of the 00s Colts. But then again, it depends on your “greatest” metric.

• @Jermofoot:

I would also submit the possibility of the 00s Colts. But then again, it depends on your “greatest” metric.

The Colts crossed my mind, but the Pats defeated them more time than not.

• @ABWorsham:

I do think the early 90’s Cowboys were the best team in NFL history. The team played in monster NFC east divsion and dominated. They beat up on a Buddy Ryan Eagles team, late era Bill Parcell Giants and a Joe Gibbs Redskins. The 1994 49ers had to ‘rent’ a mercenary team of seasoned free agents to defeat the Cowboys.

Had, modern day free agency not raked the 90’s Cowboys of talent, Dallas would have won another championship. Jimmy Johnston departure also hurt the team.

Here are some of the names Dallas Cowboys lost to free agency between 92-96.
    linebacker Ken Norton Jr, safty Thomas Everett, WR Alvin Harper, DE Jim Jeffcoat, Safty James Washington, DT Russell Maryland, LB Dixon Edwards, LB Robert Jones, DE Tony Casillas, G John Gesek, DE  Jimmy Jones, G  Kevin Gogan, WR/ PR Kelvin Martin, DB Kenny Gant.  This does not include most high level coordinators and postion coaches.

I forgot to add LB Jack Del Rio and Center Mark Stepnoski

• @ABWorsham:

@Jermofoot:

I would also submit the possibility of the 00s Colts. But then again, it depends on your “greatest” metric.

The Colts crossed my mind, but the Pats defeated them more time than not.

That’s why I said the metric mattered, because if you count Superbowl wins (which I would completely agree), Patriots take it, but the Colts had the best winning percentage in the 2000s as well as most playoff appearances.  Which is amazing because in '99 (I think) they royally sucked.

• The Dallas Cowboys played the 1994 season with 24 players that were on the last year of their contracts.

• Panthers :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

• GO CARDINALS!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m