Tjoek's 1940 Global Map file and setup charts (Updated May 30th 2018)

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Updated first post for my first release of the map. Let me know what you think and don’t forget to send me pics of your printed copy of this map!

Let me know your specific wishes/change request and I might be able to work on them for a small fee.

• awesome!
    would you mind also sharing the PSD(?) file? or indicate where I can find one?
    I’d like to work on a global 42 map version but based on the AAG40 map…
    thanks!

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Loig:

awesome!

Thanks mate!

@Loig:

would you mind also sharing the PSD(?) file? or indicate where I can find one?
    I’d like to work on a global 42 map version but based on the AAG40 map…

Simply load my png file in Photoshop and you’re good to go. The quality doesn’t get better as the original file was jpeg to begin with.

In case you’re looking for a layered PSD document, that doesn’t exist. The original file was a scan of the board, not a proper design document with layers for borders, country colors, names etc.

• Good day, I want to know on what scale it is better to print this map (1m 30cm/ 60cm)?
    Or is there a much better scale?

• thanks for the reply. did you layer it?
    :mrgreen:

• I have been keeping a attentive eye on this project. After taking a good look at the map, I wanted to provide some feedback  The quality of your work is exceedingly impressive! I am currently shopping around for a printer to bring this to reality. Thanks for all the countless hours you spent on this project and for supporting this community in such a tangible way.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Krutoy_Walker:

Good day, I want to know on what scale it is better to print this map (1m 30cm/ 60cm)?
    Or is there a much better scale?

The original Global 1940 map is around 177cm by 81cm, so I would definitely don’t go below that.

However I do recommend a slightly larger print out at 219cm by 100cm. This really helps with unit placement as every territory is just a bit larger.

But after all it’s up to the size of your table what will fit.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Loig:

thanks for the reply. did you layer it?

Short answer is no. I did make my changes in layers, but most where merged along the way to keep the total file size manageable (just under 1GB)

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Macaoidh:

The quality of your work is exceedingly impressive!

Thanks!

@Macaoidh:

I am currently shopping around for a printer to bring this to reality. Thanks for all the countless hours you spent on this project and for supporting this community in such a tangible way.

Please share your pictures in this thread when you’ve found a suitable printer, I would love to see this file coming to live on other tables and gaming groups.

• @Tjoek:

@Loig:

thanks for the reply. did you layer it?

Short answer is no. I did make my changes in layers, but most where merged along the way to keep the total file size manageable (just under 1GB)

thanks buddy!

• '17 '16

@Macaoidh:

I have been keeping a attentive eye on this project. After taking a good look at the map, I wanted to provide some feedback  The quality of your work is exceedingly impressive! I am currently shopping around for a printer to bring this to reality. Thanks for all the countless hours you spent on this project and for supporting this community in such a tangible way.

Thumbs up.
    Plus 1 to  you, Tjoek.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Our group and other local players in the Netherlands have printed over 8 maps now and we all love it!

And the game plays really well on a map 219cm by 100cm large. So much more room to navigate your units around. It’s a real difference that has more impact in how your play and perceive the game that I expected. I will make some pictures of it next time we play the game. I just forgot to do it. Might be a while due to the holidays.

@Macaoidh: just curious, did you find a print shop?

• '20 '19 '18

Dutch Lancaster recently uploaded a video on youtube of the G40 event we recently had in Amsterdam (the Netherlands).

There were 2 printed versions of this map present (the right table is the scaled version of 100x219 cm)

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inf0muIwV_I

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Thanks for sharing Quirky Turtle!

• @Quirky-Turtle: Great video! The printed map looks fantastic. I’m curious though- what do the Litko Flaming Wreckage and Splash Markers indicate on the printed map, and the large green chess pawn looking things on the oob board represent?

• '20 '19 '18

@DMcLaren: Haha good spot
    In my games I use the Medium Flaming Wreckage markers from Litko as indicators for Combat’s and territories that change hand. This makes it easier to see in one overview if you’ve rolled all battles and handled all IPC changes. I believe the green pawns on the other map are used in a similar way.
    In order to not forget to move certain units in the non-combat movement phase I use the Litko yellow alert tokens.
    I use the micro flaming wreckage markers for damaged capital chips.

Finally the splash markers are used to mark convoy disruptions. We’ve found that typically when moving into a SZ during your own turn you tend to remember there is a convoy disruption but by the time the next player comes around you forget, so this way we can quickly scan the board at the end of each round and see if we’ve overlooked anything.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@DMcLaren: in my opinion it helps game play while at the same time looking really nice on the table!

• @Tjoek this is incredible. Printing this out as I type. Now to find a sheet of 36x78in plexiglass…

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@vodot said in Tjoek's 1940 Global Map file (Updated May 30th 2018):

@Tjoek this is incredible. Printing this out as I type. Now to find a sheet of 36x78in plexiglass…

Thnx @vodot! Please share a picture of your map when it’s printed, I would love to see your result!

• @vodot said in Tjoek's 1940 Global Map file (Updated May 30th 2018):

@Tjoek this is incredible. Printing this out as I type. Now to find a sheet of 36x78in plexiglass…

In case this info helps, here’s how I obtained the 36" x 96" sheet of plastic that my customized table (which has an extended-width version of the Global 1940 map board) needed. I found a local plastics company whose merchandise lines were described on their website, and I determined that the best option was a material called non-glare Acrylite P-99; the company had various sizes in stock, and one of them was originally sized by the manufacturer at 48" x 96" x 1/16" thickness. The 96" length was already correct, so all the plastics company had to do for me was to cut the sheet to the correct width. They then shipped it to me by delivery truck, rolled up into a tube about two feet in diameter with a sheet of cardboard wrapped around it to protect it. They even included the slice they had removed. They only charged me ten bucks for the custom cutting, and they did a nice job; the sheet went straight onto the table without needing any work on my part, other than my peeling away the manufacturer’s thin temporary film which protects the acrylic from scratching during storage and shipment.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m