• I have 2 quick rules question. Do your own fighters being carried on ACC defend if the carrier is attacked?

My read on the rules is that they do not but upon reading some of the forums here I am not sure this is correct.

Also, is it legal for a transport to load troops move to an adjacent sea zone and unload the troops all in one turn?  For example can the USA load up troops in SZ 10 and unload them into ALgeria in SZ 12 all on its first turn?

Please clarify these for me.

• 2007 AAR League

@Apollo1q:

I have 2 quick rules question. Do your own fighters being carried on ACC defend if the carrier is attacked?Â

My read on the rules is that they do not but upon reading some of the forums here I am not sure this is correct.

Yes.  Fighters embarked on a carrier defend with that carrier.  This is true even if the fighters are from an allied nation.

@Apollo1q:

Also, is it legal for a transport to load troops move to an adjacent sea zone and unload the troops all in one turn?  For example can the USA load up troops in SZ 10 and unload them into ALgeria in SZ 12 all on its first turn?

Please clarify these for me.

Yes.  The example you reference is entirely legal.  Note that the land units do not move before or after unloading.  The transports end their turn when they unload but could load at two different locations or sea zones.

• 2007 AAR League

Yes and Yes.

Fighters on a carrier always defend.  Even if your fighters are on my carrier, they still defend if we are attacked.  However if I am the instigator of the attack and move my carrier into combat with your fighters on it, then your fighters do not attack, they are considered cargo on my carrier.  And if my carrier is sunk, the fighters are sunk with it.

As for transports, yes your posted move is legal.  Remember the following rules:
    1. After you unload units from a transport, those units may not move any more this turn. (ie. a tank may not unload, then move a space).
    2. After a transport unloads units, the transport may not move any more this turn.
    3. A unit may not load into a transport if it has already moved this turn (ie. a tank may not move a space, then load)

So basically a transport may load then move then unload in the same turn, but it may not unload then load because unloading ends its turn.  Hope that clears it up. (like mud)

(edit: Baghdaddy beat me to it!)

• Thanks for your response Bagdaddy. Â

Is there a particular section of the Rulebook you are referring to in your answer to the fighter question.  I am a NOOB as are all the guys I play with and we had quite an argument over it.  Obviously I was wrong to my detriment  but I would like to have a section to quote next time we play so that there is no whining over implementing the correct rule

• 2007 AAR League

@Apollo1q:

so that there is no whining over implementing the correct rule

Well, you sure like to take all the fun out of it!  :lol:

It’s in the OOB revised rulebook on page 30 under aircraft carriers.

• 2007 AAR League

You might also want to look at the revised rules that most of the board members here play with.  They tend to be better written, removing quirks that allow really strange events.

Or perhaps you want to learn those strange quirks and use them against the other players!  :evil:

• Though your questions have been answered more than sifficiently, I’d like to add that it is only cheating if you get caught.
    So know the rules!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Though, that would be an interesting HOUSE RULE.  You can only load OR unload a transport in a turn.  Would stop a lot of the transport fodder issues and make it more viable to transport allied troops.

• Thanks for the help everyone.

One last question  does anyone have a link to the “revised rules that most of the board members here play with”

• What about a carrier with allies planes on it that is used as part of an attack?  Can the planes attack?  Can they take damage?

• The allied planes are not part of the attack and cannot take damage.  They are treated as cargo (just like units on transports).

• 2007 AAR League

@Apollo1q:

Thanks for the help everyone.

One last question  does anyone have a link to the “revised rules that most of the board members here play with”

LHTR 1.3 rules.  Can be downloaded from the home page of this site (www.axisandallies.org)

From the home page, look in the articles section (hint the article as of this writing is on page 3, the posting date of the article is January 16, 2007)

• Got a transport question of my own. Is it possible to first move the Tran 2 spaces and then after it has moved, load from one place and unload on another?

• 2007 AAR League

Yes.  From LHTR 1.3 page 23:

Loading and Offloading: A transport can load
    cargo before, during, and after it moves. A
    transport can pick up cargo, move 1 sea zone,
    pick up more cargo, move 1 more sea zone, and
    offload the cargo at the end of its movement.
    It may also remain at sea with the cargo still
    aboard (but only if the cargo remaining aboard
    was loaded in a previous turn or was loaded
    this turn in the noncombat move phase). A
    transport can offload into a hostile territory
    only during an amphibious assault (see below).

Whenever a transport offloads, it cannot move
    again that turn. If a transport retreats, it
    cannot offload that turn. A transport can
    never offload in two territories during a
    single turn, nor can it offload cargo onto
    another transport. If a sea zone contains
    hostile units, the transport may not load or
    offload in that sea zone (unless the only
    hostile units are submerged submarines).

• @Jennifer:

Though, that would be an interesting HOUSE RULE.  You can only load OR unload a transport in a turn.  Would stop a lot of the transport fodder issues and make it more viable to transport allied troops.

Wasn’t this the rule in earlier versions (80’s).  I always thought that troops had to load in NCM, but everyone played as though you could load/unload same turn.

• 2007 AAR League

If you are referring to the original A&A (Classic), then I don’t think that was the rule.  You could always load/unload in the same turn, to my knowledge.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m