• One space means less flexibility, and consequent damage to the gameplay.

I think I put my crack pipe down, and it was missing when I got back.

(suspicious look)

• 2007 AAR League

Yes your crack pipe appears to be missing here, and your Heineken looks lonely, owl.

• 2007 AAR League

@losttribe04:

Wouldn’t it be easier to make all the navel units only move one space instead of cutting, and recutting sea zones to make it take longer to get to where you want to go?

Just wondering what you thought are?

-LT04

Why have naval units then?

If there is no room to manuever them, no advantage in speed over ground pounders, what is the point?

• 2007 AAR League

@newpaintbrush:

One space means less flexibility, and consequent damage to the gameplay.

I think I put my crack pipe down, and it was missing when I got back.

(suspicious look)

I think I saw Jen doing a “Monica” with it…
    :-o

• It’s hard enough to get the allies to battle when the ships can move 2 spaces.  If they could only move one things would never get going.

• Considering that there is a significant press for units such as Cruisers with a movement of 3 spaces to be added to the game to increase the use/function/threat of naval units, I think that reducing navy to 1 space is a non-starter.

besides, who ever heard of a tank that can outrun a ship over a long course?

• If you did that take the total distance from the DC Navel Yard to Liverpool England it takes the following turns:

On the A&A classic it took one turn.

With A&A revised it takes two turns.

With the A&A global war proposed map it will take 3 turns.

so let me restate the question would it be easier to make ships move slower instead of chopping up sea zones?

As far as a tank out running a ship I couldn’t tell you the answer to that I not sure what the exchange of knots to MPH is. But I do understand your point of “endurance” between the two.

-LT04

• More sea zones means more movement and strategy options.

• I guess your right. It seems that the Navy does always tend to do a dance before engaging each other. At times its noseating but I think your right. I would be awesome if they did incorporate a Navy unit that could move 3 spaces.

-LT04

• yeah, even with revised i wsh tehre were more zones.  even more land zones as well…

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Honestly, I’ve played with 1 sea zone moves and it really limits what you can do with the navy in the Pacific.  For those of you who hate KJF that’s probably meaningless to you.

However, splitting all territories in 4 really livens up the game. :)

• 2007 AAR League

@losttribe04:

so let me restate the question would it be easier to make ships move slower instead of chopping up sea zones?

As far as a tank out running a ship I couldn’t tell you the answer to that I not sure what the exchange of knots to MPH is. But I do understand your point of “endurance” between the two.

-LT04

1 knot = 1.15077945 mph

Your average Victory ship had a top speed of 14.5 knots or 16.7 mph.

Not very impressive until you look at number of hours a day spent traveling.  A Victory ship does that 24 hours a day for about 400 miles a day.

The M4 Sherman had a top speed of 24 mph.  In order to do 400 miles a day it would have to be driven at top speed for 16 hours every day.

I think it becomes clear that ships perform really well as soon as the transit times start to include nightime travel.

For the Washington to Liverpool trip of 3400 miles, the Liberty ship makes the journey in < 9 days.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Great, thanks Baghdaddy.  I needed MORE useless information in my head….as if I don’t have enough of that drivvel from my more esoteric professors (as in the non-math ones) to deal with, now I know the conversion rate between miles and knots per hour…

• Whats a victory ship? Just to throw Jen for a loop if you ride a known trade current does that add to the speed of the ship?

-LT04

• @losttribe04:

Whats a victory ship? Just to throw Jen for a loop if you ride a known trade current does that add to the speed of the ship?

-LT04

Wat if ur riding a known trade current and there’s nobody there to hear it, does it make a sound?

wat if it’s UNKNOWN?!

dun dun dun!

• 2007 AAR League

@Jennifer:

Great, thanks Baghdaddy.  I needed MORE useless information in my head….as if I don’t have enough of that drivvel from my more esoteric professors (as in the non-math ones) to deal with, now I know the conversion rate between miles and knots per hour…

To 8 “decimals” too…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m