• Just wondering what people have experienced as 150 point armys both axis and allies.  I seen someone put up a KT, PGs and some other support.  But I would like to know what other people have come up with.  Thanks

• I actually try not to come up with perfect armies, but rather armies that will fill the following criteria:

(1) Is fun for me to play.
    (2) Is fun for my opponent to face.
    (3) Is somewhat historically accurate
    (4) Isn’t Lame/Cheesy or can be interpreted as such.

But it’s not a suprise to my friends should any of them stumble across this post. I’m the guy, afterall, who used to look across the table at my opponents before a Warhammer, Flames of war, or Confrontation game and ask, “OK, why are we fighting? What’s the story behind this conflict here?”

That being said, the closest I’ve come to perfect as I’d like is my highly mobile Allied army. Until I actually get halftracks I’ve been using miniatures from another WWII game (but they look out of place), but I use 4 American Halftracks, 2 jeeps and 2 British Inspiring Lts. for movement. Since we use the HHR from the A&AM Forums on the WotC site, you bet there’s 2 American mortars in there too! I have 2 AB and 1 AB Commander (w00t to the Screaming Eagles) for further mobility. Then I use filler based on what I think my opponent is taking and what sort of battle we are doing*.

-=Grim=-

• We made up missions, such as “Hold the Line”, “Meeting Engagement”, “Break Out”, “Flanking Maneuver”, etc., so the games get a little bit more tactical at times. The two objective markers just add to Victory Points totals.
  • Founder TripleA Admin

Lame and cheesy can be fun too. Why? To figure out what is lame, cheesy, and broken about the game and try to figure out why or how it should be fixed.

• When you guys use the 150 point armies, do you still go with the 15 unit maximum??

• Wow, I actually missed that rule. 15 Unit Max? But the Soviets were based on HORDES, lol. No, now that I know about it it doesn’t change anything. It also should be noted that the armies we play are only sometimes 150. Quick battles we do 100 and there’s nothing sweeter than a 250 point battle across 8 maps pieces. Epic isn’t the word, but it’ll do.

:)

-=Grim=-

• I don’t pay attention to number of units max, especially with the Soviets. 
    My 150 army, when the map calls for it, involves one Nashorn and at least two more decent tanks.  This I play on defense and once I’ve got my movement kills on the enemy tanks, I will use the MBTs to close in and crush them.  Of course, this means that I can’t let myself get too spread out (Nashorn is expensive so I have limited defense otherwise).  Last night I tried this and got surrounded by the faster west-Allies tanks.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m