1 starter + 1 booster enuff to play?

• Hey, newbie here. I haven’t played minis since college (80’s), but I’m thinking of buying some of these to try. If I get 1 starter set and 1 booster pack to begin, will that be enough to field both an Allied and an Axis army? If not, what would you recommend as the minimum until I play-test it a few times. And yes I know that if I like it I’ll need bunches more, but I’m looking for the initial minimal outlay of funds. Thanks.

• I split a case of set 1 and set 2 with a friend and I feel I have barely enough to make an acceptable army for the main nationalities.  You could print out the stats of the units you need and use proxy units on the battlefield.

• I bought a few boosters…maybe 5 or 6 and a starter…

What I did is substitute units with other…so if I want to use 3 or 4 ss-panzergrenadiers, but only have one, I have use the italian Fucile Modelo 1891 as proxy pieces. I wouldnt suggest that for competative play, but to learn the game and play with a friend you shouldnt have any issues. Write down what unit is being substituted and make sure the other player doesnt have any objections…

Using that method, I was able to build 4 armies (2allied, 2 axis) each @ 150 points…

Once I get more figures and have a chance to try out other armies, I plan to repaint some of them to have a unified look…

• Well… I bought two starter sets, 2 set I boosters and two set II boosters and only now am I starting to have any semblance of a themed force for my armies. You might not mind getting a few boosters though: it’s fun to crack open a box and see what random models you bought. Mmmm, King Tigers.

If you do get into the game, I suggest getting a second starter box. It helps to have the extra maps (so you can have room for manuevering or larger armies) and extra damage tokens. Having a rulebook for each player helps too.

:mrgreen:

-=Grim=-

• Don’t waste your money on starters just to get extra maps.  Read my post about Memoir 44.

• Founder TripleA Admin

@JTQuest:

Hey, newbie here. I haven’t played minis since college (80’s), but I’m thinking of buying some of these to try. If I get 1 starter set and 1 booster pack to begin, will that be enough to field both an Allied and an Axis army? If not, what would you recommend as the minimum until I play-test it a few times. And yes I know that if I like it I’ll need bunches more, but I’m looking for the initial minimal outlay of funds. Thanks.

You can supposedly get at least two 80pt teams out of a starter and a booster.

How you buy it really depends on what you want.

Q: Do you want a complete set with certain extras?
    A: Buy for yourself or split with a friend one case of each set. Fill in the gaps with eBay.

Q: Or just specific pieces for specific armies?
    A: Do some research on the pieces you want. Go on eBay and shop around. You can probably find one “eBay Store” that has all the pieces you are looking for for reasonable prices. All of the Set I pieces should be really inexpensive now.

In general, you’ll spend less money on a game like this than something like Flames of War.

• @djensen:

In general, you’ll spend less money on a game like this than something like Flames of War.

As I look over at my unpainted, unused FoW models I can only sigh and agree. :)

-=Grim=-

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m