How do you typically play the Americans?

• I’ve just started playing A&A Revised and LOVE this game. I’ve only played a couple of games so far, but the end result is always the same: My complete and utter destruction. I’ve always played the allies so far. I typically attempt a KGF strategy, but I think my American strategy is weak. I attempt to get a tranny train going to Europe, but it seems to take forever. I think I get too caught up trying to build a decent pacific fleet, while at the same time trying to take out the germans. I would like to hear what your typical (or insane) American strats/first couple of moves are.

• 2007 AAR League

Typically now I go 100% against Germany. I send my fleet into the Atlantic and first I retake Africa. Then I typically try to reinforce UK or Russia wherever I can in Europe. Unless something goes bad in the Pacific for Japan I usually ignore it until late in the game when UK and Russia can fight Germany by themselves. Usually by then the game is over.

• Well, I like to first re-enforce London with Bombers, Fighters, and Infantry.

• Deters Sea Lion

• Allows UK to go more offensive

• Sets up for Overlord

Then I Liberate Africa and force Germany to defend the south and the Med.  At that point, I have to see where the opportunities are and try to set up a shuck-shuck to start pouring into Europe from either England or Africa.  Also, I may extend Fighter protection to Moscow if needed.

• I pretty much do what way2slo said.

Dont waste your money on a pacific fleet.  Just garrison enough infantry to protect from a surprise west coast invasion, or build up there if you see japan in position. Since the german navy isnt usually a big threat, you dont have to worry much about protecting your transports to europe.

• KGF.  Shuck via WUS builds.
    Invest Algeria strong to control Africa and threaten Southern.
    Keep the option of a Pacific Raiding Party available to keep Japan honest and reduce pressure from the east on Moscow.

• 2007 AAR League

poorly

• @tcnance:

poorly

Thats certainly the truth for me.

What do you guys think about sending your entire pacific fleet, BB and Trn, to Atlantic?

• 2007 AAR League

That’s what I do. Unless there is a bad J1 Pearl Harbor attack.

• @ncscswitch:

KGF.  Shuck via WUS builds.
    Invest Algeria strong to control Africa and threaten Southern.
    Keep the option of a Pacific Raiding Party available to keep Japan honest and reduce pressure from the east on Moscow.

I agree with that, but how do you keep the option of a Pacific Raiding Party? You don’t actually leave boats on the west coast, do you?

• Depends on the Japan fleet deployment as to whether I keep a small fleet of WUS, or simply pop in a TRN to raid when the Pacific is empty of Japan ships.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Pearl II is a major concern for my American strategy.  Did they go light?  Did they go heavy and get wholloped?  Did my british fleet in SZ 59 really decimate the attackers?

If Japan’s navy was weakened enough (1 or 2 of 4 capital ships destroyed, or good chance of being destroyed in counter attacks for minimal losses) I’ll go hot and heavy after Japan doing a shuck from Alaska to Eastern Russia to pressure Japan’s mainland advances while getting some submarines going to sink any transports Japan attempts to get into the water.

If Japan wasn’t weakened much at all, I’ll hit Germany.  Usually landing initially in England to deter Sea Lion if Germany set up for it, or Algeria to start reclaiming North Africa and force Germany to deter 6-8 IPCs in land units into Africa a round.

The trick is to get 2 to 3 transports on USA 1 then at least 1 transport a round after taht, preferably 2 in some rounds.  And no, don’t stop when you can fill them all, you want the extra fodder to use against a Japanese fleet invasion of the Med.

• @Jennifer:

The trick is to get 2 to 3 transports on USA 1 then at least 1 transport a round after taht, preferably 2 in some rounds.  And no, don’t stop when you can fill them all, you want the extra fodder to use against a Japanese fleet invasion of the Med.

Good point, Jen.  One mistake I have made is not building enough transport fodder to kill excess Axis fleet.  The Axis have more fleet in Revised than in Classic and you have to adjust your American strategy accordingly.  Otherwise, you can rule the Atlantic, but be rebuffed from entering the Med.  That really sucks if you are the Allies.

• It reeeeeaaally pisses me off when I ahve just enough transports to carry my land army for a big invasion, then i have to take some of them away from an airstrike on my fleet.

Would submarines be better in some instances though for fodder, in place of transports?

If you need punch, then yes, submarines would be better then transports.  But honestly, if you are on defense and you have 1-3 battleships, support ships, couple carriers and some fighters, 12-16 American transports are the best fodder you can possibly have. Because they double as troopships. =)

• 2007 AAR League

I’ve played an atlantic/pacific strategy as the US with some success.  On US1 you can assemble a fairly decent pacific fleet with an investment of only 16 ipc, leaving 26 ipc (the equivalent of Russia’s income) to be spent in the atlantic.  With a continual invest of 1/3 of US ipc’s to the pacific you can be in a position to threaten Japan within a few turns while still spending the equivalent of Russia in the atlantic.  It’s a tricky balancing act but it provides alot of opportunities as well as a change from typical KGF scenarios.

• My new strategy is destroy Germany first no matter what. All out, 110% wail on Germany. Unless the J1 goes horribly horribly wrong. Then I send in the American Armada!

More importantly, with an investment of 16 IPC on USA 1 and 8-12 IPC each subsequent round in the Pacific you force Japan to spend at least 8 IPC a round, or more, to keep a fleet strong enough defensively to stop you.

Notice, the fleet is only strong enough to defend against you.  Not attack and destroy you.  This means eventually you will be forcing Japan to either spend significant portions of income to build up to destroy you, or relinquish control of the Pacific Ocean.

• My opponent just had a very very bad J1. I thus spent 40ipc on US pacific navy. 1 CV, 2 subs and 1trn. Next time i’ll pick up a bb and then a trn for atlantic and some guys. I will crush him!!!

2 Aircraft Carriers, 1 Fighter would have been better. =)

• 2 cvs is what I usually buy for kjf.

My entire allied turn is usually pretty much the same every game as britain and russia,  i go KJF or KGF depending on who looks weaker on US1.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m