• I don’t think Germany would focus largely on taking Norway. If Germany attacks Norway, they’ll of course win, because of the awesome power of the Germany airforce. But when it comes to the British counter-attack, it’ll be the exact opposite, because fo the grand power fo the British airforce. If it turns into an aggressive trading war, in which Germany, and the Western powers trade off Norway every turn, that means the Allies are winning, because those are ground forces not fighting the Russians. And I doubt Germany is going to use its bomber to strat bomb a target worth 3 IPCs. Yes, transports will soak damage for the American fleet, but it’s all in degrees. We’re talking about two transports, two hits, vs. having either a Northern European trap for Germany, or a logistical paradise, in which America can send three tanks a turn to the Eastern front, a front otherwise devoid of anything but American aircraft. If Russia is in the lurch, it’ll immediately help, if your fleet gets unlucky, it’ll lessen the blow, and after a few turns of deploying tanks, you’ll have a number of tanks at your disposal, to be backed up by your airforce, possibly also in Nroway, not a weak force, even on the Eastern front.

• @Squash:

I don’t think Germany would focus largely on taking Norway. If Germany attacks Norway, they’ll of course win, because of the awesome power of the Germany airforce. But when it comes to the British counter-attack, it’ll be the exact opposite, because fo the grand power fo the British airforce. If it turns into an aggressive trading war, in which Germany, and the Western powers trade off Norway every turn, that means the Allies are winning, because those are ground forces not fighting the Russians. And I doubt Germany is going to use its bomber to strat bomb a target worth 3 IPCs. Yes, transports will soak damage for the American fleet, but it’s all in degrees. We’re talking about two transports, two hits, vs. having either a Northern European trap for Germany, or a logistical paradise, in which America can send three tanks a turn to the Eastern front, a front otherwise devoid of anything but American aircraft. If Russia is in the lurch, it’ll immediately help, if your fleet gets unlucky, it’ll lessen the blow, and after a few turns of deploying tanks, you’ll have a number of tanks at your disposal, to be backed up by your airforce, possibly also in Nroway, not a weak force, even on the Eastern front.

Sure, you don’t have to believe me.  Go for a US IC in Norway.

I’m going to say again - a US IC in Norway is great IF YOU CAN GET IT.  But it is not easy to get a Norway IC unless the German player is REALLY horrible.  It is far easier for UK to take Norway and US to reinforce.

Your own words:  “I don’t think Germany would focus largely on taking Norway . . . a logistical paradise, in which America can send three tanks a turn”  In other words, you yourself are saying taht the Germans aren’t going to try to take Norway in spite of the fact that a US IC in Norway is very good for the Allies.  i.e. the German player sucks.

• I’m going to have to side with those who think this is a bad idea.

1. The majority of the UK’s income is vulnerable early in the game and Norway is cool 3 IPC to replace what you’re going to lose in India alone.
    2. If the US has transports they have options.  Attack western Europe or take back Africa for the Brits.  wherever they are need they can go.
    3. Why give Germany another IC?  If you build it the Germans will come and while the units headed to Norway aren’t attacking Russia, Japan sure will be.

• I think it is safe to assume that the IC, IF it is built, should be built after the SZ5 fleet is toast and US has already established a nice TRN network.

However, I would not be inclined to let Norway in German hands that long, which means either UK will take it, ot US has already sent a minimum of 1 TRN north so that they can take Norway early.  And that reduces teh strength of intial Allied counters in Africa, and leaves any Allied fleet in SZ12 a bit mroe vulnerable.

• Okay paintbrush, I absolutely see your point now. The value of Norway to the Allies makes it valuable to Germany. You’re sounding alot like an economic historian when it comes to market trends actually. But here’s the trick: Isn’t this another trap for Germany? If Germany invests heavily (and the only way to invest in trading/defending Norway would have to be heavily) in Norway, those are resources not going to Southern Europe (region not territory), which Russia could capitalize on. I see it as a valuable way for the US to establish a new front with Germany, and whenever the US trades troops with Germany the Allies win.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@ncscswitch:

I think it is safe to assume that the IC, IF it is built, should be built after the SZ5 fleet is toast and US has already established a nice TRN network.

However, I would not be inclined to let Norway in German hands that long, which means either UK will take it, ot US has already sent a minimum of 1 TRN north so that they can take Norway early.  And that reduces teh strength of intial Allied counters in Africa, and leaves any Allied fleet in SZ12 a bit mroe vulnerable.

I’d agree.  The IC shouldn’t replace your transport fleet, it should compliment it.  Maybe getting 6 transports instead of 8 transports and an IC or 8 transports instead of 10 transports and an IC is the route to go.

And yes, it’s nice for England to have as well, but really, England only needs 18 IPCs to fill 3 transports.  England + Canada is 12 IPC right there.  Most smart Jap players won’t hit Australia or New Zealand until later in the game, that’s 4 more to 16 IPC and Madagascar is also usually untouched for a long time.  So England’s got 17 of 18 IPCs already, usually.  Add that to as yet onconquered middle east and Africa and you’ve exceeded the 18 IPCs needed to fill 3 transports. (4 transports is a waste, IMHO.  England can only build 8 units, and I want airpower as well as land power.)  And yes, 6 infantry < 3 Infantry 3 Artillery < 3 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 Armor  I know that.  I’m stating the MINIMUM not the OPTIMUM.

Meanwhile, America with +2 North Africa and +3 Norway is at 43 IPC a round, making up for China/Sinkiang’s loss.  5 Infantry, 5 Artillery, and savings for more ships or aircraft.

Why do I like American/Russia as my sledge hammers with British reinforcements?

A)  They work back to back.
    B)  America just has the shear power of assets every round.  (28 IPC just for the USA.)
    C)  England makes such a nice between attack force that can mobilize to assist Russian stacks or America stacks before Japan can go.

• Well put Jen. I play tomorrow, if I get the US, we’ll see how it goes.

• 2007 AAR League

I’ll just add my ignorant two cents’ worth…

This question goes to what I think is the heart of the game - logistics. The Allies start the game with an economic advantage (greater production) while the axis have the logistical advantage: they build their troops right close to the action. This means that the Allies economic advantage is a bit of an illusion - they cannot actually build more, at least in terms of fighting units. To get 8 IPCs of fight to Russia’s doorstep, Germany only spends 8 IPCs. The US and UK have to spend 16 IPCs to deliver the same fight - the armor, the infantry, and a transport to carry them.

(Actually, that’s why I think Russia is a bit under-rated. Sure, the production sucks, but what production there is is right on the front, and can be immediately used where it is needed.)

So the heart of the game then as I see it is whether the Allies can efficiently overcome their logistical disadvantage in order to realize the benefit of their economic advantage. A Norway IC is one solution to that, but thinking about it, I don’t think I like it. It delivers units to the front more quickly than any other solution once it is built. But it takes time to capture Norway and also time to build the IC. It also lets Germany know where the attack will be coming from, and as Sun Tzu says, deception is the key to all warfare. That said, if Norway could produce more than 3 units, I might think about it more.

I’ve only played about five games, but I think this is why I won and why I have seen people lose as the Allies: quite simply, they fail to get their IPCs delivered to Germany’s doorstep. They build units that they won’t have the transports to move. Or they build enough transports, but fail to protect them from attack. Or they build extra transports that won’t have anything to carry the next round. Any of these result in wasted IPCs sitting around on Great Britain (or in the water) while German tanks roll happily across Africa and Russia.

So I think the key to the game is simply planning carefully how to get (or prevent) Allied IPCs flowing into Europe (or Japan) as efficiently as possible, and thereby realizing as much as possible the economic advantage. This means getting control of the sea while preparing an invasion fleet that wastes no IPCs. The Axis meanwhile have to leverage their logistical advantage to prevent the Allies from setting up an efficient delivery system.

Another thought I’ve had for getting Allied IPCs across is in the form of fighters. They can arrive to help defend Russia in one turn, and avoiding the sea means that Germany’s navy is all a complete waste. The problem though is that they can’t support Russian offensives, and are too expensive to use to attack on their own. But they might be a good interim idea while the shipping gets set up?

I’ve done a lot of British RAF strategies and it always comes down to the fact that they just don’t have any staying power.  Lots of British fighters tie up Russian troops and prevent them from advancing lest the British fighters are left exposed to German and Japanese attacks.  Meanwhile, America takes 4-5 rounds to come up to full speed anyway.

• long story short….the cost of an IC in norway does not outweigh the benefits…it’s just not a logical move… when you think about it, you build the IC…you can’t use it until next turn…then germany will take it…then you might take it back w/ UK or US…but then ur still not even able to use it just yet…thats 15IPC’s that arent even being used…meanwhile…u could build 1transport 1inf 1 art…thats a loaded tranny… that could be used to invade W Europe…

that would be like japan building an IC on one of it’s islands…just useless. especially since it’s right in the warzone…

german bombers could pound the crap outa it

German infantry + armour + Luftwaffe could re-take it every turn if they truley wanted too…but it would cost them infantry going to russia…

only way an IC would be a good idea would be if the baltic fleet is destroyed…and karelia is in safe allied hands…then it makes more sense since germany can’t re-take it w/o going through karelia…n by then u have 3 tanks + w/e u put there in the first place.

the US has alot of money to throw at the Axis…but i think i speak for everyone when i say that it could be much better spend. a efficient and effective tranny system would be much more to the Allies liking. like mentioned in a previous message, it gives the US the ability to adapt to what Germany is showing. you can go for W Europe… or E europe(only when baltic fleet is destroyed) S Europe or Africa…with an IC in norway, your coming from norway…theres no suprise to it.

IC in norway isn’t as useful as tranny’s

Feds10

• It is however a more efficient method of delivering specifically armor to specifically the Eastern Front, if that’s your ambition.

• 2007 AAR League

The trouble is that Germany then knows specifically it will be facing tanks from Norway, and can respond to the Allied threat more efficiently with that knowledge.

It could be a good idea in the right circumstances. But I think those circumstances are generally once the Allies have a healthy advantage, such as pumping out extra tanks faster for the final push.

Feds 10:

If you are building an IC in Norway when Germany even has a remote chance to take it before you can use it, then you are building it WAY too early.

The IC in Norway is a frosting on the cake move for the allies, not a replacement for the transportation system.  What it does is jump start America’s move towards Japan by freeing up 2 to 4 transports from the shuck shuck without reducing the American flow of troops to E. Europe/Germany.

• true…but it’s just pointless…tranny’s are far better in my opinion. and like mentioned by frood, it shows Germany where your coming from. tranny’s give you some ability to adjust to what you see from germany.

only way it would make sense is if the allies already have complete control of the seas…and is putting some serious pressure on germany…other then that i can’t agree with an IC in norway

Feds10

• jen, if your interested in playing a game id be more then happy to  :-) i want the Axis however cuz i’m not that strong of an allies player yet.

Feds 10

Sure Feds.

You registered with Flames of Europe or DAAK or AAMC?  If so, we can start the game there and post the results here for all to see.  My registered name on all 3 is Jennifer.

If not, do you want a bid for Axis or just want to take them as is?

• i’m AAMC….dogtag is ahttr_86…i don’t know how to use the dicey’s too well…but i’m up for posting results on the website lol

8-)

Feds 10

Started a thread in the games in progress board, Fed.

• Of course only AMERICA should be allowed to take Norway.  America’s navy in the Baltic…IC on Norway…building one battleship every turn until it has 13 bombarding Berlin and bringing in one man on a transport.  This is the guaranteed failsafe way for Allies to win.

• If you happen to play with National Advantages, a US Norway IC is a great way to get tanks to Russia to be converted by Lend-Lease without tying up your fleet.

Otherwise, leave Norway to the Brits…they usually need the money.

I’m surprised by the number of people commenting on the possibility of Germany bombing the IC. If America brings an AA over, is Germany going to risk a 15 IPC bomber on a 3 IPC raid? Seems like a bad risk when German bombers are needed to threaten the Allied fleet.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m