• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Dunno if they need more then one IC as a target, Switch.  2 USSR bombers, 2 English bombers, 2 American bombers and you’ll have reduced Germany to building a maximum of 4-6 infantry a round.  Hardly going to stop the Russians who will, at that time, be making at least 6-8 ground units with British assistance.

Then again, who’s going to let Russia make two bombers???

• Then again, who’s going to let Russia make two bombers???

It’s not about someone letting Russia make 2 bombers. It’s all about Russia taking a stand for herself and saying, hey, I’m just as rich as any of you! I will make 2 bombers to prove it!  :lol:

@trihero:

Then again, who’s going to let Russia make two bombers???

It’s not about someone letting Russia make 2 bombers. It’s all about Russia taking a stand for herself and saying, hey, I’m just as rich as any of you! I will make 2 bombers to prove it!  :lol:

Believe me, if Russia ends up with two bombers I’m either going to wonder if the Russian player is totally friggin insane (and start calling him Crazy Ivan) or if I’m doing something SERIOUSLY wrong OR if the Russian player’s allies have some weird and mysterious trick they’re going to use…like loaded dice or something!

• Or maybe they’re playing with the national advantage lend lease out of the box >> The UK/US could each bomb Germany, land in a red territory, then Russia converts those units and bombs Germany! Here we go mass bombers ^^

• Actually, if the US and UK are going heavy on BOMs for Germany, and Russia is building in the 30 range, and I am not being hard pressed on the ground… I MIGHT buy a Russian Bomber.

Probably not though… because that would be the ideal time to just over-load on land units and finish Germany off :-)

• One Bomber for Russia isn’t a bad idea, so long as no other purchases are immedeate…unlike a fighter, it can support units on either front without being out of reach of the other front.

Of course, there’s always Long-Range Aircraft, but in my mind, America is the only Allied nation who should ever bother with it anyways.

• Actually, when I looked back at the rules it says per bomber.  So it would seem to me that out of the box you can do the limit of the territories worth with each bomber you have.

@ncscswitch:

Actually, if the US and UK are going heavy on BOMs for Germany, and Russia is building in the 30 range, and I am not being hard pressed on the ground… I MIGHT buy a Russian Bomber.

Probably not though… because that would be the ideal time to just over-load on land units and finish Germany off :-)

Exactly.  Only way I’m considering bombers with Russia before Germany falls is if Japan’s been kicked off the mainland.  Otherwise, I’d rather have 3 tanks then 1 bomber.  (15 IPC, ATT 4, DEF 1, vs 15 IPC, ATT 9, DEF 9)

• When you guys are saying per nations turn are you talking about the OM rules or the LH supplemental rules?  Because the box rules state that per bomber you can only take IPC amount of money.

• This is from page twenty of LHTR pdf file

Strategic Bombing Raids: a bomber can make an economic attack against an enemy industrial
    complex. During the opening fire step of combat, bombers that survive any antiaircraft
    fire may attack the industrial complex. Roll one die for each surviving bomber. The
    opponent must surrender that many IPCs to the bank. The maximum combined damage inflicted in one turn by all strategic bombing raids on one industrial complex and any rocket attack on the same industrial complex is the territory’s income value.

Italics mine.

This from the out of box rules page 28:
    Special Abilities
    Strategic Bombing Raids: A bomber can make an economic attack against an enemy industrial complex.
    During the opening fire step of combat, bombers that survive any antiaircraft fire may attack the industrial complex. Roll one die for each surviving bomber (the maximum each bomber can inflict is the territory’s income value). The opponent must surrender that many IPCs to the bank.
    Weapons Development—Heavy Bombers: If you have the Heavy Bombers development, all your
    bombers roll two dice on an attack instead of one. That means each bomber can score 2 hits in a regular attack, or inflict two dice of IPC loss in a strategic bombing raid. (It still cannot inflict more loss than the territory’s income value.)

Italics and bold mine.

If you are playing out of the box SBRs can do some hurt. Not as much hurt in “tourney” rules. Those are the out of box rules pdf from the Avalon Hill website. I think those are the latest LHTRs but it is from the link to the pdf version in the sticky thread. I guess that leaves the question of if in LHTR by turn they mean UK’s move or R thru US moves. My earlier post while not quite wrong is misprecise.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m