What's the consensus on a standard bid?

• 2007 AAR League

I’ve only played the new game several times, so I haven’t made up my own mind as to whether either side has a slight advantage.

In the forums, I’ve seen a typical Axis bid of 6 mentioned several times.

Is there general agreement on that?  Or what’s the typical range of bids?

• I have won as teh Axis with 0 bid.  I have lost as the Allies with 0 bid.

In the current Tournament, I have ended up with the Axis twice with a 6 bid, and won both games.

I have seen discussions of up to 12 for a Revised bid.

With a free-placement bid (able to declare all of the bid for pre-start placement), I would say 3-4 would be enough… I’d bid 4.

• 6 is such a sweet bid in the current tourney (only place half the bid in units) because you get a nazi for either europe or africa then 2 bucks to germany for the old 1AC, $26 in ground (insert your favorite combo here) then japan get 2 trannies AND an IC in j1.  i would think it would be hard to lose as the axis like this.

switch what would you do with your $4?

• In a free-placement bid?  An INF for Germany, and an IPC for Japan :-D

• thats what i figured, 2 trannies and an IC j1 is insane!

• 2007 AAR League

The standard bid is 8 IPCs, as mentioned by the Caspian Sub and Flames Of Europe.

• 2007 AAR League

I guess what someone needs to do is keep statistics on bids and game outcomes.  Over time if good players were playing each side the same number of times (and as strategies became more standard), you’d come up with a good estimate.

• i think a bid of 8 is crazy, extra german inf plus $44 and a buck to japan for a 2 trannie 1 IC open?

• 2007 AAR League

6 bid i think will become the norm in half bid purchase system…

• I think you are correct Nix.

The reason is superior Axis strats being introduced, and Octo needs some credit in that department.

Flames may say 8, but in this Tournament 6 has been standard, with a HIGH percentage of Axis wins at 6…

• The Triple A War Club uses a 9 IPC bid for the Axis with the stipulations that you can only place one new unit in a given territory, and you can only place sea units with other units of the same country (not SIDE, country).  Ground units can be placed in any territory controlled by that country; and some, none, or all of the bid can be banked.

With over 1000 games played, the Axis holds a slight edge winning 51.1% of the time.
    http://tripleawarclub.org/ladder/standings.php

Seeing as it’s almost 50/50, a bid of 8 or 9 for the Axis is probably about right.

• Well, we have been using a system that allows only half of the bid to be placed as immediate units, the other half is IPC’s that can be spent Turn 1.

And even with those restrictions, Bid 6 has been consistently winning games…  And that is only 1 INF placed either for Germany or for Japan, and 3 IPC’s for one or the other, or split up.

• True, but your sample size is much smaller than the War Club….

• True, but our odds are also running well over 50%… closer to 80% with a 6 bid, half restricted.

• But with such a small sample size, it is really impossible to draw conclusions.  It could just be the superior players are drawing the axis.  Or flukey luck is running in the axis favor.

As counterpoint in your favor, on the war club, of the last 20 games, 13 were won by the Axis.  So it is possible that new Axis tactics are being developed making a bid of 9 a mite high.  But since the previous 20 were 11 axis, 10 allies, its too soon to tell.

• 2007 AAR League

james makes a good point.  The more confident and possibly “better” players might feel that they can win with a smaller bid, lets say 6, while the less confident, and possibly less skilled players would be more likely to bid higher, maybe 8 or 9 and thus be outbid every time.  The better player ends up playing the axis every time, and thus the appearance of axis advantage at 6 bid.    The best way to decide this would be to have a tournament with a standard 6 bid, and alternating sides.

mateooo

• Excellent point mateooo, I had not even considered that.  That does further skew things in the axis favor.

And I don’t think I mentioned the War Club games are in sets of two, with each player in a pairing playing once as the axis and once as the allies.  In other words, the alternating sides you just proposed, mateooo.

• Carrying over IPC remainign from the bid to be used on Turn 1 is essential to pairing down the bid.

Otherwise, you end up with low bids all being in increments of 3 (for the most part)

Allowing for IPC carry over, I’d be willing to take a bid of $1 against most opponents…

• I agree that giving the players the option of “banking” a portion their bid is important.  Usually units pre-placed on the board are better than extra money in the bank, but there are obvious exceptions, such as the $1 to Japan allowing an IC and two trannies to be purchased round one.

I don’t think there is a consensus “best bid” on the War Club for that standard $9.  Common options include:

3 Inf (either all for Germ or 2 Germ, one Jap).  If a Jap Inf is used, it usually goes to Frindo.  Extra Germ Inf may be in Europe or Africa, or split between them.

Tank and Inf in Africa for Germ, $1 to Jap.

Trannie for Germ, $1 to Jap

Many others I’m sure.

• If you have a bid of 6 and you don’t want to place that extra inf (meaning 3 IPC’s left)…

can you give all 6 IPC’s to the germen/japanese bank, too?
    meaning - not spending anything of it before purchases being made?
    or do you have to pre-place half the amount?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m