• A few memories come back to me when I think about my earliest days of playing A&A Revised (I had never played Classic before so this is an entirely new experience).

The first was when I was playing Russia and lost it on Round 1. I hadn’t attacked Western Russia because I thought it would be best if I purely defended and never attacked, and I had split my forces evenly between Caucasus and Moscow. The German player, my friend, simply invaded and took it  :wink:

The second time was when I invaded Western Canada with 1 transport of Japanese stuff (1 inf 1 tank). The US player, another friend of mine, built about 10 infantry on the West Coast, and completely didn’t bother to block Central US or Washington. I blitzed into DC the next turn, as well as took Central US with the infantry. It was awesome! I think the next game, I took Mexico and he again forgot to block Central US (but he did built units in DC).

And it was also pretty unbelievable how many rules we screwed up since none of us had real prior experience. We would blitz tanks the instant they got off transports, build complexes in another power’s area (US had built a complex in Australia), and do a lot of weird strategies like tons of bombers and no transports for men because we were lazy, and I even remember as Russia one of my friends purchased 2 destroyers in the first round  :lol:

Good times  :-P

• First game, we allowed armor(edit- all units for that matter) to attack ships off shore.

• First game, we allowed armor(edit- all units for that matter) to attack ships off shore.

You win.

• Well, when I first played Classic, we had what I guess now is a variant of an NA in Revised…

US could build anything it wanted, and they were US  forces.  BUT, once those forces reached any other Allied territory or group of forces, the US could “give” those forces to the Allied nation.  Any nation could use it, but the US is the one that did it most… the “great giver”.

US would build trannies and troops, send them to UK, and then all of those forces became UK forces.

Imagine what THAT would allow some of these very skilled players to accomplish!  Germany would not survive past UK3, EVER!  LOL

• @ncscswitch:

Well, when I first played Classic, we had what I guess now is a variant of an NA in Revised…

US could build anything it wanted, and they were US  forces.  BUT, once those forces reached any other Allied territory or group of forces, the US could “give” those forces to the Allied nation.  Any nation could use it, but the US is the one that did it most… the “great giver”.

US would build trannies and troops, send them to UK, and then all of those forces became UK forces.

Imagine what THAT would allow some of these very skilled players to accomplish!  Germany would not survive past UK3, EVER!  LOL

lol yea, Germany would never have a succesful Battle of Britain in that case.

• @MechanizedWarfare:

lol yea, Germany would never have a succesful Battle of Britain in that case.

The amazing thing is that, back in those earliest days, I would still win a fair number of games (about 1 in 3) as the Axis…

• 2007 AAR League

The first time I ever played was when I was in about 6th grade and the uncle of my friend introduced us to the game and didn’t have the time to teach us all of the rules so he simply told us that all the units could move 5 spaces, you put all the units that belonged to you wherever you wanted in your territory to start the game.  The game lasted probably about 4 to 5 hours considering none of us hardly even knew what we were doing.  It then took me even longer to figure out the game when I actually bought it because I was still playing by the rules taught to me  :roll:

• My first time playing the game at all was just after this most recent Christmas.  I had been dying to try out the game, and so I gathered up a few other friends of mine and we got to playing.  But we started playing at 6 pm and it took us a really long time to finish the game, and I mean “really” long time.  Along the way, we pretty much had our noses in the gamebook on what we could and couldn’t do.  Ah, good times, good times.

• the first time i played we thought that it was every country for themselves, i would always pick america and DOMINATE Canada HARD!!!
    (i felt like such a badass 8-))

• the first time i played we thought that it was every country for themselves

Free for all would be so harsh for the UK and Russia….their territories would simply be there for other nations to grab while they huddle and wait to die…

It’d almost be like there are 3 Axis nations. The German/Japanese strategy don’t really change until late game since they’re both eating up Russian/Uk territories in the short run, but now Russia/UK don’t have each other’s help, nor the US’s.

• lol, yeah they got owned, and the people playing them were like……“man this game sucks!”

• The first time I played was with my brother, and I couldn’t count how many rules we messed up (this was 2nd Edition; I knew how to play by the time I got Revised ;) ). Among them, though, was allowing armor units to shoot at sea units (especially used during amphibious invasions), allowing allies to build ICs in each other’s territory, and placing as many units as we wanted on newly captured and built ICs on the same turn they were captured or built! :P

• That would certainly make Karelia a MUCH juicier target for Germany :-)

• allowing allies to build ICs in each other’s territory

Geez we did the same thing in our first game. The US bogusly put up an IC in Australia and proceeded to island hop like mad……

• We didnt even use ICs my first game. :oops: :lol: Man that was a riot.

• @M36:

We didnt even use ICs my first game. :oops: :lol: Man that was a riot.

That actually is not THAT far out there.  I have seen “house rules” that allow for INf to be raised in ANY territory up to the IPC limit of the territory, often called “Militia” raising.  Manufactured goods (navy, tanks, air force) have to be built in factories.

Makes Africa and Asia a lot more of a challenge, but also allows Germany to develop “fodder” right at the front lines…

• Sounds like Risk lol.

• What I did once (wasn’t even a newbie move, it was on my like 12th game after 70 hours of expericence)  was I forgot to buy units at the start of my turn. But my friends let me do it after because they didn’t want to win on a cheap thing like that.

• '19 Moderator

Heck, I’ve done that lots of times, not from inexperience, just too much beer!

• I have to keep reminding my friends to start by purchasing units. They like to skip straight to combat first then worry about purchasing, but that takes much of the strategic planning out of the game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m