• Hello all, and thanks in advance for any help.

I just started on Axis and Allies Mini’s and have a couple questions.

First on damage.  It takes three hits in one phase to destroy a vehicle.  If a vehicle is already damaged, does it still take three hits in a phase? Or if it gets another damage counter in a later phase is that enough to destroy it.

Second, does anyone else seem to think the four map layout a bit small?  Ive only played once, and with being able to start five hexes from the end, it seemed like my opponent and I were right around the objective right away and it turned into a dice-rolling slugfest.  There was little movement, just hammering it out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• @KansasBoyd:

First on damage.  It takes three hits in one phase to destroy a vehicle.  If a vehicle is already damaged, does it still take three hits in a phase? Or if it gets another damage counter in a later phase is that enough to destroy it.

The latter.

@KansasBoyd:

Second, does anyone else seem to think the four map layout a bit small?  Ive only played once, and with being able to start five hexes from the end, it seemed like my opponent and I were right around the objective right away and it turned into a dice-rolling slugfest.  There was little movement, just hammering it out.

Well, that’s the exact reason as to why I went out and bought a second Starter set. I  wanted room to maneuver as well as have enough counters to play. I really didn’t even care about the models inside: I just wanted the maps and counters. Oh, and the second rulebook was nice too… one for each player/side. I happened to luck out and get my Tiger I in that second set though. Mmmm.

Do the extra 4 maps help? YES! It actually changes the whole game. Infantry absolutely needs transports or it takes a long time to slog across the terrain, which is nice and realistic to me. We also like to put down two Objectives (if both are held by opposite sides it’s down to Victory Points). Tanks have tons of room to maneuver and plenty of terrain to stalk behind. And with all of that room AT guns and mortars have a new importance (due to the size of the maps we use we allow AT guns to get hitched to jeeps, halftracks and certain tanks or they’d never see action.) as do paratroopers.

I highly recommend getting a second set if you can afford it. It also helps that some of the most “core” models to the game come in that set (more Shermans and Garands…Maus and Panzer IV? Sweet). I can’t imagine playing the game on 4 maps instead of 8 (sometimes we do 6). We only played once on the 4 maps before we went out and nabbed another Starter.

-=Grim=-

• Thanks so much for the feedback.

Ive been thinking about a second starter set for the counters and maps anyway.

Ive also downloaded a bunch of maps off the WOTC site.

The four maps just seemed way too limited.

Ive been extremely lucky in my pulls so far.  I think I got the starter and six boosters and already have two Tiger’s.

I’m thinking about one case of set one and that should give me and my play group a real nice selection from the first set, then I’ll move onto set two.

I dig the models, they look pretty cool.  The rules are pretty simple and straightforward.  Could use a little clearer writing in them though.

Overall seems like a pretty quick fun game.  Now I have to start diving deeper into strategy and tactics.

• Yeah, I’ve bought enough so that I now have eight map tiles.  However, I don’t think I’ve ever used more than six.  You’re right though; four tiles is WAY too small, at least for the type of fierce battles I enjoy!  :evil:

• Ok, thanks for the input.

Im glad my play group arent the only ones who thought that four maps was too limited.

Do you play three wide by two deep

or

three deep by two wide?

• @KansasBoyd:

Do you play three wide by two deep or three deep by two wide?

I do both. I wish the roads ran in different directions though. Having most of them all going in the same direction sometimes make it boring (and unrealistic), but hey… I’m just nitpicking.

-=Grim=-

• @KansasBoyd:

Do you play three wide by two deep

or

three deep by two wide?

We usually play the 3 wide x 2 deep… but we don’t usually have a large enough table for more than that.  I prefer the 3 wide because it spreads out the armies and allows more room for flanking.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m