• Ok, I searched and did all sorts of fun stuff but couldn’t find an answer to this question so don’t go on a witch hunt on me or anything.  :-P

Secenario 1: Say you attack with a submarine vs. defending battleship.
    You do your sneak attack and score a hit.  Is the battleship sunk?  Or has it taken only ONE of it’s two hits and can now fire a defending shot?

If it only takes one of two hits then suppose…

Scenario 2: Say you attack with a submarine vs. a defending transport and defending battleship.
    Once again, you do your sneak attack and score a hit.  Does this mean I can have the battleship “absorb” the hit instead of losing the transport?

Thanks all,
    Kharn

• Gah I found the FAQ on Avalon Hill……nevermind.  :-)

• But i haven’t found it, I’m a beginner to this game! Please answer anyway! :-) /Joel

• 2007 AAR League

anything attacked by a sub surprise attack does not get to fire back. The only way it gets to fire back is if there is a destroyer present. The Battleship always takes 2 hits to sink. You can designate your enemy hits as you like, on scenario two i would hit my sub once, then my transport and last my sub again. I bet everyone in this forum would do the same thing. Any other questions?

• @ezto:

anything attacked by a sub surprise attack does not get to fire back. The only way it gets to fire back is if there is a destroyer present.

Not quite accurate.  A sub gets to fire in any circumstance even if an enemy destroyer is present, but its casualty is not removed early if an enemy destroyer is there.

Assume a battle of 2des 5sub attacking 1btl 1sub 2tra.  Battle:
    Attacker rolls for 5sub and gets three hits.
    Defender allocates 1 hit to wound his battleship, 1 hit to his sub, and the third hit to one transport.
    Defender rolls for 1sub and gets 1 hit.
    Attacker allocates 1 hit to his sub.
    Defender now removes the sub and transport that were hit; the transport won’t get to fire.
    Attacker rolls for 2des and gets one hit.
    Defender assigns hit to 2nd transport.
    Defender rolls for 1btl and 1tra and gets one hit.
    Attacker assigns hit to a sub.

After this round of combat it looks like this:
    Attacker: 2des 3sub
    Defender: 1btl

• The sneak attack rules we have always played with are this:

The sub can declare it’s target

A hit of 2 is an automatic sink except against a battleship, where it damagers it to the point that it does not participate in the first round.

A hit of 1 sinks everything, including a battleship. A hit of 1 will also hit a carrier before the fighters launch and the fighters go down with the ship. We made that ‘1’ real important. We usually don’t risk it, but you’d be surprised the number of times it’s worked and changed the whole war.

• @Silstar:

The sneak attack rules we have always played with are this:

The sub can declare it’s target

A hit of 2 is an automatic sink except against a battleship, where it damagers it to the point that it does not participate in the first round.

A hit of 1 sinks everything, including a battleship. A hit of 1 will also hit a carrier before the fighters launch and the fighters go down with the ship. We made that ‘1’ real important. We usually don’t risk it, but you’d be surprised the number of times it’s worked and changed the whole war.

Two things…

One… too powerful for subs.

Two… House Rules section for further discussion.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m