• I just bought D-Day the other day.  I was looking through the rules last night and I came up with a few questions - I’m hoping someone can help me.  I could probably find the answers to all these questions here on the forum - but honestly, it’s hard when I’m working, and I’m a little lazy!
    1. What happens when you run out of reinforcements?  Do you start at the beginning of the chart again?
    2. The city of Caen consumes 3 territories, do all 3 have to be in Allied control or just the “main” territory that the city is in?
    3. Do blockhouses ever get replenished, or once they are destroyed they are gone for good?
    4. During a land battle (card #11 I think), can you take a blockhouse as a casualty, or can they only die during BB bombardment?
    5. Why are there blockhouses on the west coast?  They can’t hit the boats, right?
    6. Can a blockhouse shoot during card #13?
    7. During card #8, can the Allies move if they are in a zone with Axis units, or do the Axis need to be completely destroyed before the Allies can move out of that territory?
    8. Fighters strafing?  The cards say “roll one die for each fighter per unit that moves”.  So if I have 4 fighters in an area with 3 German units, would I roll 12 dice?

I’m sorry for all the questions - but I really appreciate any help you can give me.  Thank you!

• Official Q&A

@captainjack:

1. What happens when you run out of reinforcements?  Do you start at the beginning of the chart again?

Nope, you’re just out of reinforcements.

@captainjack:

2. The city of Caen consumes 3 territories, do all 3 have to be in Allied control or just the “main” territory that the city is in?

Just the zone that the city is actually in.

@captainjack:

3. Do blockhouses ever get replenished, or once they are destroyed they are gone for good?

They’re gone for good, unless you’re using Tactics Cards.

@captainjack:

4. During a land battle (card #11 I think), can you take a blockhouse as a casualty, or can they only die during BB bombardment?

Yes, they can be taken as casualties.  They can also be hit by bombers.

@captainjack:

5. Why are there blockhouses on the west coast?  They can’t hit the boats, right?

No, they can’t, but they can still participate in land combat.

@captainjack:

6. Can a blockhouse shoot during card #13?

Yes.

@captainjack:

7. During card #8, can the Allies move if they are in a zone with Axis units, or do the Axis need to be completely destroyed before the Allies can move out of that territory?

The Allies can only move if there are no Axis units in the zone.

@captainjack:

8. Fighters strafing?  The cards say “roll one die for each fighter per unit that moves”.  So if I have 4 fighters in an area with 3 German units, would I roll 12 dice?

That’s correct.

• Thanks Krieghund!

• @Krieghund:

@captainjack:

That’s correct.

Is it still choose a unit to move, roll for the fighters, choose a unit roll for the fighters?

You have to declare all the units that are moving at the same time but you don’t just drop 12 dice and see if you get three hits right? That would be like getting 10 dice on each unit instead of 4 wouldn’t it?

• Official Q&A

Good point, Frimmel.  I should have made that clear.  You would roll 4 dice against each individual unit, not 12 dice all at once.

• that’s just because it forces you to take a hit on a tank vs. an infantry, right?

• Official Q&A

Yes, and also because of the hit distribution.  If you roll twelve dice all at once, you are guaranteed to destroy a unit for each 1 rolled.  However, rolling the dice in sets of four allows for the possibility that one individual unit may be hit more than once by different fighters.  Thus, the possibilty exists that even though you rolled more than one hit, you still only destroy one unit.  Each individual unit must take a hit from one or more fighters in order to be destroyed.

Just rolling twelve dice all at once increases the probability of hitting, because you can assign the hits to any unit.  Does that make sense?

• @captainjack:

that’s just because it forces you to take a hit on a tank vs. an infantry, right?

Mostly because the odds of anything moving would fall dramatically.

Also as you point out it gives a random element to it. All at once and you’re going to lose the least valuable first where as each unit moves you get a shot at the big guys.

And what Krieghund said who posted while I was covertly typing this at work.

• That makes perfect sense.  Thanks Krieghund and frimmel!

• A couple more questions…
    1. Can a blockhouse ALWAYS choose their target, or only when they are firing upon the beach heads?
    2. An artillery is the ONLY ground unit that can return fire on aircraft, correct?

• @captainjack:

A couple more questions…
    1. Can a blockhouse ALWAYS choose their target, or only when they are firing upon the beach heads?
    2. An artillery is the ONLY ground unit that can return fire on aircraft, correct?

I think the answer is pillboxes pick only when firing at the beachhead boxes and only in the appropriate order cards (1 ea. for fighters and bombers ) for the artillery.

I think there is a fortune card that shoots down aircraft.  :|

• Official Q&A

@captainjack:

Only firing on the beachheads.

@captainjack:

Correct.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m