• Janus is correct: the constitution is quite clear on this issue.

So let’s amend it…

• Times change. I certainly have no desire to return to the days when the Constitution was written. Slavery was allowed, women could not vote etc etc etc. Times change and the great thing about the Constitution is we have ways to change it to fit the world it exists in. When the Constitution was written we could not protect our citizens. Bears ate people. Wars where carried out by nations in our backyards. People where their only form of protection. Do we still need guns? I have not pulled mine out from under the bed in years. I know how to shoot. I enjoy shooting, it’s just not important anymore. Being well informed is more important than gun ownership IMO. <shrug>It’s not a volitile issue for me though. Have one of my kids get hurt by some numb buts who does not secure his weapons and I will go insane though. I feel more threatened by that than the government or criminals.</shrug>

• Have you read the 2nd Amendment? We don’t have the right to bare arms to defend ourselves from bears.

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

The constitution was meant as a shield. It was tell the federal government what it could not do. It ws not ment to be used to take our rights away. That is why it is so hard to ammend. Yes, it is a complicated process. Do you think you could 2/3rds of the states to pass a law disarming the populace? Yeah right.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I’ll admit that the current administration, and all previous administrations that I have personally encountered with first hand knowledge, would almost certainly not authorize policemen and federal militia forces to go through our personal lives on a whim.

However, what about that next Hitler that might get elected? Wouldn’t you like to have a shotgun then?

Also, if a criminal thinks you might have a gun, he might take pause before breaking and entering. With guns illegal to own, the only ones with guns will be the criminals and they’ll feel so much safer breaking and entering, then raping, murdering and pillaging.

Yes, gun’s are deadly. However, I have yet to see a pistol load itself, aim itself and fire itself. Thus I refuse to believe that guns kill people.

On a personal note: I prefer a dog to a gun. A good german shepard will tear the ever living crap out of an intruder and won’t accidentally hit a family member comming home late. Besides, you can play with a doggie, playing with a gun is just irresponsible.

• @Jennifer:

However, what about that next Hitler that might get elected? Wouldn’t you like to have a shotgun then?

this reminds me of the movie “the last supper” or something like that.
    Don’t you have already this problem? Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nicols i am certain believed that the equivalent is happening. In a country of 300 million people, i’m am quite certain that there is a massive segment of your population that believes that Bush is as bad as Hitler (or worse).

Yes, gun’s are deadly. However, I have yet to see a pistol load itself, aim itself and fire itself. Thus I refuse to believe that guns kill people.

i have yet to see a person with a knife slaughter many of their classmates. True, a world of hurt can be done with box-cutters, but the things i see convince me that the world would be better off without these damn things.

On a personal note: I prefer a dog to a gun. A good german shepard will tear the ever living crap out of an intruder and won’t accidentally hit a family member comming home late. Besides, you can play with a doggie, playing with a gun is just irresponsible.

ahhhh
    This is the most reasonable thing i think that you have written. I love doggies. i’m not sure i like the idea of training dogs to “tear the living crap out of someone”, but there are worse sentiments.

• However, what about that next Hitler that might get elected? Wouldn’t you like to have a shotgun then?

this reminds me of the simpsons episode when homer gets a gun

“if i didnt have this gun, the king of england could just walk in here whenever he wanted, and start pushing you around”
    (starts pushing lisa)
    “do you want that? huh, do ya?”
    (Lisa is annoyed)
    “No…”

:roll:

LOL!!!

That one is great!

I love how he starts using it to open beer cans, turn off lights, turn on the TV.

And when he was waiting to get the gun all those targets go by him.

Great Stuff!

• @Jennifer:

Ya, but when your well trained, much loved dog dies by getting shot by the same intruder….you will rethink your choice…

CC: That’s just it. You dont have to train the dog to kill, not if you trained it to love you. It’ll do it just to protect you.

Also, I’m quite certain that there are many, maybe a million?, people that think Pres. Bush is worse then Hitler. So?

And yes, there have been many massacres with knives. One that pops out really fast is the Crusades where hundreds of thousands were slaughted at knife point (sword/knife same thing only bigger).

How about 9/11? That was all done with box cutters.

Lotsa wacko kids playing D&D with fantasy swords they bought and sharpened. I’m sure you could do a helluva good job killin classmates with a 2 handed sword, even if you are untrained.

Yes Mr. G. doggies arnt perfect either. I have two pistols in the house which are loaded w/o locks and the dog. I figure the dog should keep the intruder busy enough for me to get to the pistols and pump him with about 30 rounds of .45 ammunition. Figure if he’s dead he can’t sue - right?

Still want the .50 cal browning though. Betcha it would keep the cops up at night knowin the next house they kick the door down in could have one of those babies sitting on a tripod just inside!

• @Jennifer:

Still want the .50 cal browning though. Betcha it would keep the cops up at night knowin the next house they kick the door down in could have one of those babies sitting on a tripod just inside!

better yet…Set up a sandbag-bunker on your front lawn…draw a wide yellow line…and put up a sign saying “Enter at own risk”…you could sit in that bunker, in a lawn chair…sippin lemonade all day…wait…what the hell am I talking about??? Jen, your personality is rubbing off on me :o

• jen never ceases to amaze me. time and again, i am actually left speechless by her posts… :o

Humor doesn’t seem to work well online…pout.

I was being a bit sarcastic (slight bit of truth, mostly humor though) with the machine gun and the unsightly barbed wire.

• '19 Moderator

@Jennifer:

Humor doesn’t seem to work well online…pout.

I was being a bit sarcastic (slight bit of truth, mostly humor though) with the machine gun and the unsightly barbed wire.

I thought it was funny…

You prolly need to use more :lol: s and :wink: s

• No weapon I could own would protect me from the government if it wanted me dead. Certainly not my shotgun. Get real. Our army has Tanks. Stealth Fighters… Not that they would need them. Nope sorry. What protects me is information. An informed military and citzenry IS freedom. Power without information is a perfect tool for the next generation of dictator. Freedom of the press IS the United States. When a government starts vilifying the press start worrying. Can anyone say “Liberal Media”? Your being worked.

• '19 Moderator

Well, I wasn’t there, but I can imagine there were quite a few people in 1770 that were saying “Get real, the British have cannons, rockets, friggates and trained horse cavalry, we could never beat that!”
    :roll:

• rockets? :-?

lizard is right…at the individual level, being armed will do nothing if the govt wants you dead. being intelligent, informed, and educated will protect you better.
    an armed populace, however, can overthrow a military. thats why dictatorial regimes dont allow gun ownership, its not prudent to have an armed populace if they dont like you.

i dont think that means it should be unrestricted, we dont want people running around with SAWs, LAWs, grenades, mortars, etc. even handguns are debateable, since they are the weapons most linked to, and easiest to use in criminal activity.

there should certainly be restrictions on what you can own, and not everyone should be eligible (i.e., children, mentally ill/challenged should not be able to own weapons)

thats my two cents

• @Janus1:

rockets? :-?

this was a MAGICAL British army. You see, the real fear was their available to TIME TRAVEL!!!

• I’m no revolutionary war expert and not that it matters, however……I do belive Britain starting experimenting with rockets during the Napoleonic wars sometime after or around 1810.

…just wanting to post something here really…sick.

• sorry double post

• oops double double post

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m