Guadalcanal Combat system for AAE

• I played a game AA Europe with the Guadalcanal type combat and movement system. I also added some other house rules my small group usually plays with. This is how I did it.

Units:

Inf Cost 3IPC Air-0 Power Land-1(2-Defending) Sea-0

Art. Cost 4IPC Air-1(Doesn’t Matter how many still 1) Land-2 Sea-0

Armor Cost 5IPC Air-0 Land-3 Sea-0

Anti-Air Guns-5IPC Air-2(Doesn’t Matter how many still 2)

Fighter Cost 10IPC Air-2 Sea-1 Land-1

Bomber Cost 15IPC Air-1 Sea-2 Land-2

Transport Cost 8IPC Air-0 Sea-0 Land-0

Sub Cost 8IPC Air-0 Sea-1 Land-0(Sneak Attack)

Destroyer 10IPC Air-1 Sea-1 Land-0(Detect Subs on 2 or Lower)

Cruiser 14IPC Air-1 Sea-2 Land-1

Carrier 16IPC Air-1 Sea-0 Land-0

Battleship 24IPC Air-1 Sea-3 Land-2

Some of the other thinks I changed was only the battleship would take two hits like regular A&A. The combat was also changed some too. On the battlebox it goes Inf, Inf, Armor, Armor, Art, Art. Anti- Air guns are not captured and only destroyed if attacked with no other units defending it. Hits are only scored on a 1. Battles take place for up to 3 rounds. You may choose to retreat before each round of battle but armor and fighters get a parting shot of 1 Power each. Armor may attack a territory 1 space away and if all units where destroyed it may blitz to another space to attack. Battles can end with both sides occupying the same space. If so, no one gets the IPC from that territory.

Units are produced up to the limit of IPCs of territory like A&A Revised. Russia starts off with a factory in Siberia and the Caucasus to represent the factories moved away behind the front lines.

The UK can place 1 unit a turn in Egypt to represent Commonwealth troops. All the oil territores’s IPC goes to the UK except Iran which goes to Russia. Theses territores are treated the same as all the others. Canada’s 3IPC and the 5IPC convoy next to it must be spent in Canada to represent Canadian troops and equipment that had to be trained and built there and brought to Europe. If the United Kingdom is invaded Canada can still build troops.

The sequence of turns is the same as Guadalcanal except for these changes. You unload troops from transports then you move Infantry and Artillery already on land. Finally you move Armor last.

Strategic bombing occurs after the bomber has survived any flack and protecting fighters as normal Guadalcanal rules. You then may roll 1 die of damage.

The first round Russia may not move any of it’s forces to simulate the surprise of the invasion. Of course the Russians do defend with what they have in any territory attacked. Also the United States can not move the first turn because it is not yet at war with the Axis. They may spend 10IPC to build the first turn though.

The maxium anti-air power on land is 3 power. That would be a Anti-Air Guns for 2 power and Artillery 1 power. More than one of these in a territory does not increase it over 3.

The Allies go first for the first 2 rounds to simulate the initiative the Axis still had at this point in the war. After this the opposing sides roll a die to determine who goes first for the next 4 rounds. Then after this the Allies get plus 1 to their dice roll. In Guadalcanal it is advantageous to go second and it is as well in this game. I see it like breaking the other sides codes or surprising an unready opponent.

For the Cruiser pieces I of course used the Guadalcanal American piece for the U.S. I use the MB battleship for the UK and Axis Cruisers.

The only think I do for a separate Italy is use light grey MB German pieces for any units in Italy and for some of the units in North Africa. Then any pieces a build in Rome are made light grey. You may want to have Italy a completely player but, this what I did.

The units in Tunisia I also moved to Libya.

I believe this works pretty well. There still might be some kinks to work out. If anyone has any comments or tries this out and has feedback that would be awesome.

Long post…

• @Admiral_Thrawn:

The Allies go first for the first 2 rounds to simulate the initiative the Axis still had at this point in the war. After this the opposing sides roll a die to determine who goes first for the next 4 rounds. Then after this the Allies get plus 1 to their dice roll. In Guadalcanal it is advantageous to go second and it is as well in this game. I see it like breaking the other sides codes or surprising an unready opponent.

Can you give me an example why its advantageous to go second?
    Haven’t played Guadalcanal before.

Rolling for each round sequence is interesting.

• It is advantageous to go second because you get see where your opponent is going so you usually have the advantage to counter his move. Example: In guadalcanal the 2nd unit you move is the battleship. Usually you can tell where their main effort will be by seeing where they move or don’t move their battleship. Unless sometimes you can feint a move that can draw someone to commit somewhere you are not going. The first player does have the advantage with the subs though. They get to move and fire first.

• You must try Guadalcanal. Easily the best A&A Tactical battle board games. I think with a few changes the Guadalcanal combat system should be used for A&A Deluxe or Advanced that they say is coming.

• OH I see
    I’ve always wondered about the order of movement by units.
    Now I see what thats all about.

So you trying to make play AAE with a “everyone moves then everyone builds” kind of game seqeunce?

• Yes, exactly. I think that way is superior. I can’t wait to play that way again with my A&A group. I played it that way with a friend but we had a Artillery rule that was broken so we need to play again without it. But besides that it worked well.

• Yeah it probably is superior.
    Seems less waiting time too.
    And if you fail an attack the enemy could counterattack powerfully (before your newly built units are deployed).

• The waiting time is less. I love that. Your always in the game. Back in forth moving different types of units. Yes, the counter attack can be bad. If you have to take into account the units the enemy has in the surronding territories. They can move in to reinforce the territory you attacked. If anyone tries the Guadalcanal rules with Europe or any of the strategic games tell me how it turns out.

• It would also seem that this system might work well with AAP, substitute armor for the aa gun, since AAP is not really armor heavy.

• :-o
    I came up with a simular combat system many years ago. It was simpler, and random, every player rolled two dice, the highest moved first, (ties rolled off against each other). First all players did their buys. Then, in order, their combat move. Once all combat movement was completed combat was resolved in the same order. After that, everyone did their NCM and placed their builds.
      I liked it a lot, trouble was, I couldn’t find anyone willing to try it. Too damn many traditionalists!  :x

• Sounds cool. When you did the combat move you would move into an area and then roll for combat or was like you moved all your units then the other person could reinforce an area before combat. Have you played AAG? Combat system is awesome and of course the inspiration for my rules.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m