• UK1 I buy an aircraft carrier, and land 2 US FTR’s on it during US1. So my question: If my UK CV moves into combat, does it take the US fighters with it? Do they participate in combat as well?

• The U.S.A. fighters would move along with the U.K. aircraft carrier when it moves; however, they can’t fly out to attack on U.K.'s turn … but, they can fight normally if the carrier’s sea zone is attacked. If the U.K. carrier moves into an enemy sea zone to attack, the U.S.A. fighters can’t be part of the U.K. attack; although, they can be taken as losses – if U.S.A. agrees to sacrifice them.

Mista Biggs 8)
    chadbiggs@hotmail.com

• Yup! That’s right.

• @MistaBiggs:

The U.S.A. fighters would move along with the U.K. aircraft carrier when it moves; however, they can’t fly out to attack on U.K.'s turn … but, they can fight normally if the carrier’s sea zone is attacked. If the U.K. carrier moves into an enemy sea zone to attack, the U.S.A. fighters can’t be part of the U.K. attack; although, they can be taken as losses – if U.S.A. agrees to sacrifice them.

Mista Biggs 8)
    chadbiggs@hotmail.com

of course the USA player will agree to sacrefice the poor bugers for if the carrier is sunk surley the fighters would go aswell (thats how i ploay the the game) LONG LIVE GREAT BRITAN ha ha :lol: ( im british as you probebly would have gest) :P :wink:

• @ethy:

of course the USA player will agree to sacrefice the poor bugers for if the carrier is sunk surley the fighters would go aswell (thats how i ploay the the game) LONG LIVE GREAT BRITAN ha ha :lol: ( im british as you probebly would have gest) :P :wink:

Not entirely true. If you play the 3rd edition rules for A&A … “When an aircraft carrier is sunk. The surviving aircraft on it can attempt to locate and land on a friendly island, territory, or aircraft carrier. These aircraft have one movement point to do so.”

Mista Biggs 8)

• @MistaBiggs:

@ethy:

Not entirely true. If you play the 3rd edition rules for A&A … “When an aircraft carrier is sunk. The surviving aircraft on it can attempt to locate and land on a friendly island, territory, or aircraft carrier. These aircraft have one movement point to do so.”

Mista Biggs 8)

In 2nd edition rules, a surviving FTR in this scenario can only land if an island (completely surrounded by water) exists in that SZ.

In 3rd edition rules, the FTR is allowed one movement point to get to a friendly landing spot.

• @laststrike:

In 2nd edition rules, a surviving FTR in this scenario can only land if an island (completely surrounded by water) exists in that SZ.

In 3rd edition rules, the FTR is allowed one movement point to get to a friendly landing spot.

That is correct…

• 2007 AAR League

Ok, I’m digging up an old one here… hopefully it will get another look.

This is from the second edition rules, page 16:

Carriers attack only at “1”; but they defend at “3” or less.  Any time a carrier is attacked, its fighter planes are considered to be defending in the air; so if a hit is scored, the carrier owner could choose to eliminate one of his or her planes as a casualty rather than losing a carrier.

However, given the context, the statement “any time a carrier is attacked”  still seems ambiguous to me.  Does it mean “any time an attacking or defending carrier is attacked”, or does it mean “any time a defending carrier is attacked” ??

I looked at the rule clarifications here: http://www.aamc.net/bunker/aaruleclrfd.htm
    and found the following under the Carriers and Fighters section:

2. If you have a fighter on one of your own carriers and it is flying out to attack, you must launch it before your carrier moves! Otherwise, if the carrier moved first with fighter on board and then the fighter moved, the plane’s range would be extended illegally; the same rule applies during the non combat phase. A carrier cannot move after a plane has landed on it, for it would extend a plane’s range illegally.

Unfortunately, that doesn’t really help clarify this example.

The replies in this thread seem to indicate that the ability to be selected as a casualty applies to both attacking and defending fighters.  I think during an attack the allied fighters would technically still be landed on the carrier, as I believe that the intent of the rules is that they can only take off on the allied player’s turn.  Hence, I wonder if they really should be able to be selected as casualties, or if they just “go down with the ship”, like transport cargo.

Thoughts?

• 2007 AAR League

hmmm…

this is indeed a tought one.  I believe that they can be targeted for casualties as is suggested earlier in this thread.  It doesn’t necessarily make intuitive sense though to play it that way (if they are indeed just “cargo” about the allied carrier, then wouldn’t they just be sunk with the carrier?).  Still, I think they can be targetted.  What do you think?

• i agree, it doesn’t make sense if the ship is being attacked that the fighters (whatever nationality) would not be launched to defend the ship, and should be able to be hit instead of the CV.

the rule clarification about launching before a CV moves makes sense only when you only allow fighters from your own country to be on your CV, which may also make more sense than your allies landing on yours…

alas, it may be one for the players to decide on before the game and sides are chosen.

• 2007 AAR League

Ok, Sean Bridges, the TripleA maintainer, has kindly pointed me to this FAQ: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/games/axis+allies/

The question is answered in this FAQ item:

*How do fighters fight on an ally’s carrier?

If a carrier attacks while carrying an ally’s fighter(s), the
        fighters cannot fight, but can be taken as losses, provided the
        owner of the non-fighting fighter consents to the loss. 
        Source:  Communication with Milton Bradley (dated July 27, 1995).

So, although it may seem odd, I guess the official ruling is that when a carrier attacks, allied fighters on that carrier can still be taken as losses, although they do not join in the attack.

Case Closed!

Yes.

Allied ftrs CAN defend, but they CANNOT attack.

A typical scerio is a UK 1 AC buy with the US landing 2 ftrs on the AC on US 1.

This Navy is all but untouchable for the Germans b/c the US ftrs defend with the Brits.

However, moving the UK AC on UK 2 to attack say German ships off Spain, the US planes can indeed be taken as loses but not fight offensively in the battle.

It is no different then land combat,
    multinational defense - yes,
    multinational attack - no.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m