9 Infantry and 1 tanks
    or
    8 Infantry and 1 Transport

• '19 Moderator

The first one. My Opinion of course.

• '19 Moderator

@El:

:oops: A dumb guy’s question…
    Is the Don from Don’s Essays the don_riggins who has a good # of posts here? Saw a few good one and a couple of quickies. :roll: A guy who cvould spew that much strategy/logistics might just post like that on other websites. Just asking!?! :-?

Yes

• The german purchase you guys are suggesting is wrong. On the first turn you should still maintain some armor. You should buy 4 Inf and 4 Arm. You need the armor to counterattack any allied landing in france. The destruction of an allied landing really slows down the allied advance and makes things easier for japan. Thus, the allies are forced to try to go through finland and karelia to defend russia, which is a really slow process. If you have 4 Arm coming out a turn, then you can wipe out an invasion of 20 some infantry, when the US lands in around 4-5 turns.
    I also disagree with your japanese strategy. Japan should concentrate all their forces on India and on Russia in the beginning of the game. Having an IPC and you’re navy there is a huge bonus, because you get battleship shots, and you can grab infantry sitting on the islands. The IPC factory is absolutely necessary. That way you can drop 3 tanks in every turn, which is an incredible amount of offensive firepower, which transports would be very slow in providing. You also need the constant production of tanks to be flexible in going from india up to russia, because infantry take a lot longer to walk. Right after taking India, Japan can start a nice little bastion out in novosibirsk, which russia cannot counter. Thus, using the rapid movement of the tanks, with the infantry that have built up from using the two transports you have in the beginning, Russia will be deprived of money, and facing 6 tanks a turn, infantry, and a superior japanese airforce.
    However, I do agree that the game becomes whether russia or germany falls first, and in my experience, it is germany.

Clayton Keir

• w.r.t. Germany - i think it is not a good idea to be producing 4 tanks in the first turn. Maybe in the second or third, but you need the infantry for cannon fodder and defense of EEU. You can always leave a bunch in WEU as defense as well, but the ipc differences between meaningful defence and offense i think is in the favor of at least an initial all inf purchase. Also retaking WEU - will happen with planes usually backed by inf. Still, its a fun idea having that many armor, but I think that Russia will be able to take EEU far too easily with this leaving the UK with the question of whether they want to go with Normandy, or simply support their friends in the east.
    As far as Japan goes - you might purchase an ipc in the 3rd turn, however you need the extra trns to toss on the infantry only Japan can produce. So you can produce 8 inf and 3 armor in a turn - big deal? If you’re only tossing 4 inf and 3 arm/turn then you’re losing your steam. Your tanks will catch up to the inf that you toss onto the mainland soon enough, and you won’t lose any momentum either.
    Does this make sense?

• Yeah, by buying four tanks a turn Then I’ll have too many armor and not enough infantry fodder. As for the Japanese IC, I think we found out that transports are way better.

• Germany should not be buying significant amounts of armour. Unless Russia makes a mistake, infantry is ALWAYS a better choice. You can always play the Germany strategy of mountains of infantry that just hunker down and hope Japan comes in time.

As far as Japan goes I agree that eventually you will want 1 IC on the continent. In the beginning of the game Japan transports infantry over and the fighters and bomber provide the offensive fire power. So after a half a dozen turns or so Japan is on Russias doorstep and finds they need a little more offense, tanks. You probably have about five tranports and you also probably want to keep buying 8-10 infantry a turn. To transport over two tanks you need two transports, 16 IPC, an IC is only 15 and you can produce three. Hopefully England will have done you the favor of building one for you in India.

• cc, mj_2 and CF have it right, I believe.

The inf build protects Germany from a 3 Ally attack with existing ftr assistance(and the occassional armor if IPCs permit.) Ftrs can be offensive for Germany/Japan when needed and defensive for Germany on the EEu front.

• Your hope that Germany should hunker down with infantry and wait for japan to arrive is both right and wrong. You are correct in believing that germany’s best hope is that Japan will beat Russia. However, Japan cannot conquer Russia alone, it needs firepower from the German army. The US, UK, both move in with transports through the back door of finland karelia and russia to fight Japanese troops. Japan cannot counter 10 US infantry, 8 UK Infantry and 6-7 Russian infantry a turn. Germany needs to have a significant amount of armor power to make a strategic timed attack on karelia, in order to split up the defenses and buy Japan a couple turns late in the game to outproduce the allies, in the two turns where allied troops don’t arrive in Russia. Furthermore, Germany doesn’t need that many infantry early in the game. Assuming the destruction of most of the english fleet, an invasion of Normandy requires waiting until atleast the 3rd turn, giving Germany ample time to purchase infantry. I’m also not sure why u think that Eastern Europe is ever under any threat. Russia lacks enough offensive firepower to attack the brunt of the german army in Eastern Europe, and the Ukraine is not likely to be held by Russia for very long, as battleship bombardments can kill infantry to help an attack on a small amount of infantry, (assuming Russia only leaves 1-2 infantry behind around the 2nd turn, otherwise, if they leave much more, a german en masse attack would be devestating, and without any chance for a Russian counterattack). Germany can buy large amounts of infantry later in the game, but it needs to maintain a strong amount of armor for an attack.

On the Japanese subject. If you are going to buy an IPC later in the game, then u’ve just wasted the money on the two transports, because its unlikely Japan will be able to fill all four transports late in the game with 2 IPC’s on the shore. Instead of trying to get 8 Inf and three tanks coming in a turn as you said, you get 6 tanks and 2-4 infantry.

clay

• Yeah If I buy a IC on the asian mainland then I’ve wasted money on transports. As for Germany I just keep buying Infantry and but them on Germany, Italy, France and E. Europe and wait for Japan to threaten the USSR. This usually happeneds at around turn 4. At this point Germany begins to take a more agressive role. I usually buy 1-2 tanks every turn during at this point and come at USSR from both sides.

• Yada yada yada! I didn’t say hunker down. Germany and Japan must both put pressure on USSR. HOWEVER Germany is defending against 3 enemies who can put pressure on within 2 turns… GREAT pressure within 4-5 turns. Therefore, Germany defends. Otherwise, in five turns he may defend with 10-20 more armor units(less due to attacks) instead of 16-33 more (max) inf.

As Germany, take what you can of Africa and hold it. Trade Ukr and EEu with USSR. As UK &US ship inf/arm/ftrs you will begin losing ground. Maybe Japan can send ftrs from Ind to Ukr or EEu(most likely) to help defend.

yada, Do you always play Axis? Your recommendations would lead me to believe your Allied opponent is rather beneign.

mc, 1 arm per turn max for Germany until you have enough inf to outnumber every Allied unit east of Germany plus 2 more USSR builds. Then build armor(but you’d better have inf on Germany to lose incase UK and/or US attack the Fatherland.

Of course if your plan always works play someone new who tries different things.

Happy gaming…

• I have two problems with my Germany right now

1. On the first turn I attack the North sea with 2 Subs, a Transport, 5 Infantry and a Bomber. Afterwards I don’t know what to do with my Luftwaffte. Do I countinue to run Kamazazie attacks against Transports or do I use them on the mainland.

2. I have a problem with taking Africa, usually my Opponent attacks my mediteranning fleet with a Bomber, Sub and Battleship. I don’t know what to do

• '19 Moderator

I assume since you are using both of your subs you are playing Russia Restricted. I also assume you meant fighters in the north sea as infantry don’t kill boats too good.

Try this:

Attack the North Sea fleet 1BB,1Trn Brit and 1Sub,1Trn Russian with:

Baltic Sub and Trn, Finnish Ftr, Eastern Euro Ftr, German Ftr and the Ukrainian Ftr

Attack the Canadian Trn with the Western Euro Fighter

Attack the Gibralter BB with the German Bomber and the Spanish Sub

Attack the eastern Med Sub with the Italian BB and Trn.

If the Russians forget to move their fleet take the Urainian Ftr to the Eastern Med.

You should never risk your fighters to attack anything stronger than a transport without naval support.

• Yadayadad - Germany does not buy the inf because they need them to defend in the first round. They buy them in order to push them to the Russian front and menace Karelia, Caucasus, and keep the pressure on Russia early. Inf are very handy cannonfodder. They protect your arm and planes against the enemy. Also if you purchase inf in the first round (or 2) then you might purchase arm in the second/third round. These will eventually catch up with your inf via blitzes so you might have a co-ordinated attack against Karelia.
    With regards to the Japanese - i disagree with you. It’s not necessary to have 2 ipcs, however you can unload the inf onto the mainland quite quickly with the ones that you have. 6 inf from Japan via trns a turn is pretty nice, particularly if you are also cranking out 3 arm a turn in Manchuria (requires 33 ipcs). If you have a lot more ipc’s THEN you might consider the 2nd ic for the extra 2 arm/turn.
    But i can guarentee you that unless you send them to explore the south pole and ignore AUS/New Z then you NEVER have wasted money on two tnrs in the first round.
    mjc - After you’ve cleared the UK sz in the first turn, you generally determine what to do based on the UK’s actions. If they’ve dropped an AC with a couple ftrs from the US there, then you weigh the odds and usually ignore it. IF they have some trns in easy reach, then why not sink them if there is nothing much bigger. Otherwise i just use them on the mainland and attack with infantry. Again - the infantry can soak the damage, hold the land, and your planes smell clean :)

• cc, thanks! I was turning blue in the face.
    Guess I didn’t get my point acrost. :wink:

• @Yanny:

I’m 100% against a Japaneese IC in any place at any time during the first 10 turns. Transports are more efficient. We had a wonderful discussion about the issue about a year ago.

In turn one (as Japan) I take india, china and sinking. turn 2 I build a factory in india and take the 2 eastern soviet territories and persia.

the India IC is my headquarters for africa, eastern pacific islands and australia with infantry coloms made to support the attack on moscow.

The game is uasaly over by turn 3 or 4.

This is beacuase I am playing the computer, I have never played a full game with a human being, beacuase most of my grade 6 friends are not into war games.

I hope after I come back from Bulgaria to play over the internet with the CD or by PBEM.

• pbem will be QUITE different, i assure you.

• The way I play, no one can attack on the first turn, so this give germany a Huge advantage.

first turn purchase: 6 Armours.

Germany first turn: move all avaliable forces to east europe or ukraine S.S.R, wichevers closest to Belgium.

Let Russia attack Finland/Norway through Karelia, then use all of your forces on Karelia, then use your Armours to Blitz. into the capital.

also, if you bend the rules to make the uk your allie then you can win on the second turn.

U.K move all avaliable forces to east Canada on first turn, and buy 2 bombers. have germany attack the american transport. then move into the
    capital, maybe heavy casualties but you will win.

• '19 Moderator

That is an awful lot of rule bending. :-?

• not really…. if i remember correctly you can do that. I think.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m