• hey guys, im pretty skeptical that against good allied players, the axis (even if they are as good as the allies) will always win. i know the advantages of playing the allies but come on! the axis can get an economic victory over the allies if the axis team has a combined total of 84 IPCs a turn, while the allies have to get a military victory to win.

• Well it’s not 100%, but it is about 95% without Russia Restricted and probably about 80% with RR.

Everyone is skeptical about it at first and rightfully so - if two relatively inexperienced players are playing each other, the game is pretty balanced. But ‘certain Allied victory’ is an important concept that signifies the transition to advanced player, and from then on you will always play with rules that bolster the Axis. Here is the catch: the game is only unbalanced when the Allied player is experienced, and only when they use one specific strategy. Many players criticize Axis and Allies by saying that once you really learn how to play, it is the same game every time. This is mostly true for the early part of the game, say the first 5-8 turns or so, but advanced players find enjoyment in the more subtle aspects of the middle and end game.

There are several websites and posts in this forum with the the specifics of that strategy, but here are the basics:

1.) All 3 Allied countries concentrate on Germany and ignore Japan as much as possible. The goal is to defeat Germany before Japan defeats Russia. This is done by playing conservative and buying large amounts of infantry every turn. Time is on the Allies side.

2.) The UK and US build protected transport fleets that shuttle large amounts of infantry to Norway every turn. This infantry then travels to Karelia and puts overwhelming pressure on EE. Also, some can head east into Russia to help them defend Japan if needed.

3.) The Allies agressively kick Germany out of Africa so that Germany doesn’t have extra income to help defend themselves in Europe.

#2 is the key. Picture 5 US transports and 4 UK transports in the North Sea dropping off 18 Allied infantry into Norway every turn and you will get the idea. Karelia will never be in danger of falling, and it is only a matter of time before EE does. Also, this navy threatens WE, Germany proper, and EE every turn. This really forces Germany to spread itself thin. Also, keep in mind that the Allies have a 1-2-3 punch with the UK, US, and Russia all being able to attack the same German country in one turn.

Most A&A games are played with Russia Restricted and bidding for the Axis. You can find posts on bidding in this forum if you are unfamiliar with the process. If you want to simulate the most common bid, give Germany two extra infantry in Libya at the beginning of the game. This prevents #3 above, which in turn helps Germany gain the extra income it needs to defend itself until Japan takes Russia.

Also, it is very difficult to get an Axis economic victory against a good Allied player because they will be very aggresive in Africa - it is easier to take Russia with Japan.

• These aren’t perfect - they are a little overzealous and outdated - but they are still hands down the best collection of A&A strategy essays and will improve you play immensely if the ideas are new to you:

http://donsessays.freeservers.com/

It will be a lot of fun for you if you are the first person in your group to learn this stuff, because you will start whipping some serious butt, and then it will be your job to prove to your friends that the Allies can win almost every game. They won’t buy it at first and will keep wanting to try new ways to stop you! :)

One more warning: 95% of the ‘tips’ on this website are total crap! Many of them are jokes written to be funny by veteran players - other veteran players recognize the absurdness of them and ‘get the joke’, but inexperience players have no idea and think they are legitimate strategies.

• Well it’s not 100%, but it is about 95% without Russia Restricted and probably about 80% with RR.

I sure hope not, as I’m playing the Axis right now! :wink:

• @TG:

Well it’s not 100%, but it is about 95% without Russia Restricted and probably about 80% with RR.

I sure hope not, as I’m playing the Axis right now! :wink:

I was assuming Eyeless was talking about without bidding…

• Yeah, we’re not bidding either.

• I still like to play without bidding online ocassionally, but I’ll only play as the Axis. Great way to sharpen the skills. I hope you are playing with RR at least! :o

Good luck and let us know how you do - some of us are stuck at work! ;) We need a play-by-play!

• @TG:

Yeah, we’re not bidding either.

Yeah, but i think that the rules we’re playing by favor a quick Axis victory. We’ll see what happens, But i think if Russia’s income may be dropped to 17 by turn 2 then the Axis are not doing so poorly.

• Are you guys playing online or am I missing something?

• check in the “Events” section - the game log for Crypt, Moses, Darth Maximus and Cam (not sure the order . . . )

• Cool! I had no idea those were there - I’ll have to watch them unfold!

• Hahahaha… yeah check the events section, buddy. :wink:
    We already finished up one game (not sure exactly the names of all who played). I know the Allies won – no thanks to TM! :evil:

• I don’t think that its 95 and 80 without/with RR. If I was Axis playing a game with no RR and no bid, I’d just go all out on risks, and play very aggressive with both Germany and Japan. Sure, I could lose these risks, but the odds are already against me.

• Well, I’m never a big risk take unless I must, so even if the odds are stacked against me, I continue to play the way I use to.

• Are there any other rules for balancing the game than Russians restricted and bidding?

And I mean rules which work, are balanced and make the game more fun! =P

• Have you tried used A&A:E style SBR? Maybe let Germany start out with rockets and jet power, while giving the Japanese supersubs.

• @Yanny:

I don’t think that its 95 and 80 without/with RR. If I was Axis playing a game with no RR and no bid, I’d just go all out on risks, and play very aggressive with both Germany and Japan. Sure, I could lose these risks, but the odds are already against me.

You might be able to talk me down to 90/70, but that’s about it. No RR is devestating for the Axis!

• I think I can win about 20% of the time in a completely standard rules game with no bid as the Axis. Like I said though, I’d be pretty aggressive. It would require some lucky early in the game with Japan and Germany, especially keeping the German Airforce alive.

• Yeah, without RR or bidding… there’s no other choice but to hail mary and take that 20% chance. However with RR or bidding, I’m more inclined to play the numbers out instead of risking everything on the first two turns of the game.

• Well yeah, my strategy would be radically different without RR or a Bid than it usually would be. I’d have to pull out all the stops, but if the first two turns go well, I think I would be able to overcome the initial disadvantage and be able to hit Russia and Britain hard and fast enough to stay in the game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m