1942 2nd. Ed. Update with Rules for GEN CON

• Guys,

All I am going to provide you is with the Rules that we have come up for the 1942 2nd. Ed. game for GEN CON, based on our play to date of the game.

http://smo63.fatcow.com/pdf/19422ndEDrules3.pdf

So, enjoy.  MM, has also give a really good description of such.

Peace,
    Gregory J. Smorey
    Event Organizer/Tournament Director/GM - GEN CON/Origins/Spring Gathering
    www.headlesshorseman2.com

A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow. - General George S. Patton

• Guys,

I have downloaded the official Rulebook as well on the Swamp.  So, take a look.  Though, as noted in the thread above, there are some changes that will occur based on mine and Larry’s conversation regarding such.  They are basically typo’s and need to be fixed.

http://smo63.fatcow.com/pdf/19422ndedrulebook1.pdf

Thanks,
    Greg Smorey
    Axis & Allies Tournament Director/GM - GEN CON/Origins/Spring Gathering

• Nice thanks! :mrgreen:

• I like the 2 optional rules- interceptors and Turkey strait.  They can be used to balance the game if needed.  a few more territories and sea zones may justify an extra hour or 2 of play for tournaments IMHO, but we’ll see, its been a while since I played 42.

• Q,

I agree with you - I almost wonder if another hour would be good to add - something that might be looked at for next year’s tournaments. Since the game is so new and is still very much tied to the current 1942, we decided that the same time frame would be good to use for the first year out of the gate.

MM

• @miamiumike:

Q,

I agree with you - I almost wonder if another hour would be good to add - something that might be looked at for next year’s tournaments. Since the game is so new and is still very much tied to the current 1942, we decided that the same time frame would be good to use for the first year out of the gate.

MM

right the 41 and 42 tournys will be crazy this year b/c the games are somewhat new to everyone- a lot of crazy games I’ll bet.

• Yeah Questioneer, I agree,

I can’t justify adding time to an event that has been scheduled since February.  That is one of the hurdles one has to deal with when designing events for you guys.  Sometimes some just understand.  And I am not talking about you Questioneer…I appreciate all the help you have given me and used it to the “T” and plan to do so again at GEN CON.  I hope the results are different for G40.

But as for 1942 2nd ed.  That is why I am trying to put something together so everyone is on the same playing field for GEN CON.

Peace,
    Greg Smorey
    Axis & Allies Tournament Director/GM - GEN CON/Origins/Spring Gathering

• Page 8 of the 1942 Second Edition Rulebook provides a decent picture of the new game board.  Now we just need to see the setup cards for each power.

• Great to see the DD protecting the transports for US vice the cruiser (blury on my screen, but is the cruiser by Brazil? Can’t tell)…this greatly reduces my Germany opening move now…

Russia looks like it’s all into Moscow, I worry what is on that German Front (looks small on the west side)…

Is that, could that, would it be a complex in India?  Oh, Moscow may be screwed but Japan is now under lots and lots of pressure to bail out Germany if it’s even feasible now.

• Japan’s only saving grace is that it’s setup card is huge so that may give it help, but against a complex in India with a Brit territory to provide a meat shield against any blitz?

AND GREEN CHIPS!

• Yes I love the GREEN CHIPS- very cool.

• Ack, w/o knowing the German/Japan/UK Defense (well land for UK anyways), it would be hard to think of buys, but I think as Russia can you really afford a tank anymore? Maybe one off the initial buy, but I would say 5inf/2art,6inf/1tank, 4inf/3art are your only three options w/o more info.  I guess it comes down to what the frontline looks like…

With the British fleet sure to be gone now for sure in G1, G2, G3, etc, and having to defend India, a CV/2DD is out, and w/o DDs to back up a CV (because the 16 would probably go to India in some way), do you planeport to Russia?  (2FTR, 3Inf {2inf/art}opening buy?) Or is Sealion likely here too?

I guess the US will have to be the Atlantic fleet, so do you go 1CV for each side and add a plane for US1? That would give you at best CA/DD/CV/2Trans East and DD/BB/CV w/ random sub (I always submerge, so I always have that, unless the DD that was talked about for Japan comes for the ride).

• TripleA

thanks for posting the rulebook smorey.

• Would have liked to see a 3rd optional rule for no ICs on islands (Oz has brought this up on another tread). We really liked that in G40, and I kinda expected it to be brought over to 1942 2nd edition. Maybe it will be added as an option in the official faq

Smo63 will that be the case in the tourney’s, will you outlaw island ICs? Didn’t see anything about it in your pdf file about 1942 2nd ed tourney rules.

• @WILD:

Would have liked to see a 3rd optional rule for no ICs on islands (Oz has brought this up on another tread). We really liked that in G40, and I kinda expected it to be brought over to 1942 2nd edition. Maybe it will be added as an option in the official faq

Smo63 will that be the case in the tourney’s, will you outlaw island ICs? Didn’t see anything about it in your pdf file about 1942 2nd ed tourney rules.

Didn’t plan on it.  Why would we?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m