• Here is a great Allied strategy that I’ve come up with:

USSR T1: Buy eight infantry. Take the fighter from Karelia and the sub from the Karelian seazone and have it attack the German sub and transport from the Germany sea zone. You should win. Retreat the sub into the UK sea zone and place the fighter in the Caucasus. Next, take all of your units from Karelia and the fighter from Moscow (Russia), and have it attack Finland-Norway. You should win. It will be a costly battle, but it shouldn’t matter since the transport in the German seazone should be taken out. Make the fighter land in Karelia, and place all 8 infantry you bought in Karelia as well.

G T1: They will most likely destroy the British fleet around UK proper and attack Caucasus/Karelia. If they take either one, just have Russia take it back on their next turn (the main goal for right now was to kick the Germans out of Finland-Norway).

UK T1: Build a fighter to place in UK proper and an IC to place in Gibraltar. Take the Battleship from the Gibraltar seazone and the sub from the Syria-Iraq seazone and have them attack the Battleship and transport in the Southern Europe seazone. really a 50/50 chance, so if you are playing conservatively, then don’t attack yet but move (in either case) the tank from E. Canada to UK proper. If Germany hasn’t destroyed your fleet around UK proper, then try to invade Western Europe…You will not win (most likely), but it will hurt the German forces a lot.

J T1: It only matters if they took Hawaii or not.

USA T1: Alright, here is where the fun truly starts. Build a battleship and a fighter. Transport two infantry from Eastern USA to Spain (yes, Spain - which is why you need the extra IPC’s, even though you’ll still have three left over). Land the bomber from East USA in Gibraltar. Try to take back Hawaii with everything you’ve got if the Japanese took it, and if not, move all of your naval units and one fighter from western USA there anyways. The goal for right now in the Pacific is to simply stalemate Japan.

Now Germay is in a rut, facing invasion from north, east, and west. Within the next two turns, Western Europe should fall to the Allies, as well as north Africa and the rest of the German fleet, while the USA continues to stalemate Japan in the Pacific. Once Germany has no more navy and has territory on the European continent itself, the UK and USSR can finish Germany off while the USA can switch its full attention to Japan. The main reason for taking Spain, once again, is for the USA to assist in an invasion of Western Europe. (obviously, on the next USA turn, more units would be transported there).

So, what do you guys think?

• Gibraltar doesn’t carry any IPC’s, so can a factory there produce anything? It’s a good idea, but I don’t have the rule book handy, and I don’t remember what it said about that. Spain is a pretty appealing tactic though. I’ve yet to try it but it sounds good in theory.

• @Zax:

Here is a great Allied strategy that I’ve come up with:

USSR T1: Buy eight infantry. Take the fighter from Karelia and the sub from the Karelian seazone and have it attack the German sub and transport from the Germany sea zone. You should win. Retreat the sub into the UK sea zone and place the fighter in the Caucasus. Next, take all of your units from Karelia and the fighter from Moscow (Russia), and have it attack Finland-Norway. You should win. It will be a costly battle, but it shouldn’t matter since the transport in the German seazone should be taken out. Make the fighter land in Karelia, and place all 8 infantry you bought in Karelia as well.

G T1: They will most likely destroy the British fleet around UK proper and attack Caucasus/Karelia. If they take either one, just have Russia take it back on their next turn (the main goal for right now was to kick the Germans out of Finland-Norway).

UK T1: Build a fighter to place in UK proper and an IC to place in Gibraltar. Take the Battleship from the Gibraltar seazone and the sub from the Syria-Iraq seazone and have them attack the Battleship and transport in the Southern Europe seazone. really a 50/50 chance, so if you are playing conservatively, then don’t attack yet but move (in either case) the tank from E. Canada to UK proper. If Germany hasn’t destroyed your fleet around UK proper, then try to invade Western Europe…You will not win (most likely), but it will hurt the German forces a lot.

J T1: It only matters if they took Hawaii or not.

USA T1: Alright, here is where the fun truly starts. Build a battleship and a fighter. Transport two infantry from Eastern USA to Spain (yes, Spain - which is why you need the extra IPC’s, even though you’ll still have three left over). Land the bomber from East USA in Gibraltar. Try to take back Hawaii with everything you’ve got if the Japanese took it, and if not, move all of your naval units and one fighter from western USA there anyways. The goal for right now in the Pacific is to simply stalemate Japan.

Now Germay is in a rut, facing invasion from north, east, and west. Within the next two turns, Western Europe should fall to the Allies, as well as north Africa and the rest of the German fleet, while the USA continues to stalemate Japan in the Pacific. Once Germany has no more navy and has territory on the European continent itself, the UK and USSR can finish Germany off while the USA can switch its full attention to Japan. The main reason for taking Spain, once again, is for the USA to assist in an invasion of Western Europe. (obviously, on the next USA turn, more units would be transported there).

So, what do you guys think?

USSR T1 - first your fighter should move to Karelia - if it lands in the weakly defended Caucases then you will lose a fighter for a song. The fighters are really handy offensive units and expensive. Also your sub can not "retreat from the battle. It’s studck in the Baltic
    G T1: If they lose Finland (which they won’t in RR) they will not attack Karelia. They might attack Caucases if there is a free fighter there. They WILL take out the mediterranian bb and the syria sub as well as they UK fleet. Also Germay just may reinforce W-Eur, and buy a trn for the med sz in which case your IC is an even worse idea.
    UK T1 - as Germany i like to land stuff on Gibralter. Just to deny a plane landing there. Also i don’t think that ic can even pump out one unit/turn. If it is there, a smart Germany will bomb the crap out of it costing UK valuable IPC’s. Also your ECan trn will die a miserable death in the UK sz.
    J T1 - can take a LOT of pressure off of Germany by killing Russia. Also can attack Alaska delaying US attacking time.
    USA - i love the idea of buying this fun stuff, but it is a bad idea. the trn will die, you will likely lose your gibralter stuff, Hawaii is not THAT important (handy, yes, worth delaying an assault on Germany? No). Usually you do not need to work hard to stalemate Japan in the pacific as for the first couple of turns Japan’s interest is acquiring territory and kicking the Russians asses.
    The Spain invasion is a classic, but usually not until around T3 or so - when the US has more support in the Azores
    I hope i’m not overly critical, but there are some flaws in your reasoning, and i think if i were the Axis in RR going up against your plan i’d have little to worry about - at least until US 10 or so.

• Z_ & B_,
    No, you cannot build anything in a previously neutral territory.

I concur with c_ c_,

Are you playing 2HBB(2 Hit Battleship) and SS(Submerged Sub) Variation?

I disagree with your R1 - buy same

• attack BLTC sz with ftr(KAL) and ss(KAL sz)
    • attack F/N with ftr(RUS), 2 arm(RUS), 1 arm(KAL), 3 inf(KAL)
    • land both ftrs(KAL)
    • move 1 inf(RUS) to EVNK
    • move 3 inf(RUS) to KAL
    • move 1 inf, 1 arm(SFE) to YAK
    • move 1 inf (EVNK) to YAK
    • move trn(KAL sz) to UK sz
    • place 7 inf in KAL
    • place 1 inf in RUS(to move to EVNK next turn)

One alternative is to take EE instead of F/N

I disagree with your G1 analysis - I’ve often seen the entire UK sz fleet and the S/I sz sub eliminated on G1. leaving the UK (GIB sz) BB to face 1 BB and 2 trns in the C MED(unless you want to risk your BMR on UK1).

For UK1 try - buy 1 IC(save 15[or 7, see last two lines this para.] IPCs for a large purchase on UK2)

• attack C MED with 1 bb(GIB sz), 1 ss(S/I sz), 1 BMR(UK - returns to same) - YES, kill the trn(s) in the C MED or,
      if German units are in the E MED sz move the bb(GIB sz) to UK sz and make sure you built 1 trn to be fodder during purchase phase
    • move 1 inf (AES) and 1 inf (S/I) via trn(IND sz) to IND,
    • fly 2 ftrs (UK) to KAL(to fly 1 or 2 to IND next turn(see, one way to slow Japan)

I disagree with your J1 analysis -
    Most Japan players will hit 2 out of 3 of these countries - CHI(definitly to stop ftr from hitting trns in JPN sz),SFE, IND(maybe, especially if 1) IC is there, 2) it is not reinforced, and 3) the British trn is not in IND sz or FIC sz)
    Many J players will ignore the US except to destroy the US fleet @ Pearl and the WUS. Then they let the remaining IJN fleet protect the trannies. That is often all they need to do. Can help with amphib. ass. on SFE.

As for US1 -
    1 bb cost 24 IPCs+ 1 ftr cost 12 IPCs= 36 IPCs, :oops: ! With your US1 plan you will have no IPCs to do the neutral move. And, you will have little offensive capability on US2
    Try build 3 trns, 4 inf -

• trns(EUS sz) 2 inf from EUS to ALG or FWA(whichever’s open),
    • fly 1 bmr, 1 ftr (EUS) to UK,
    • fly 1 ftr WUS to EUS(of course, if japan brought a trn with inf to Haw[or within 2 sz of US] do not move ftr,
    • move bb(WUS sz)to W PNM sz(headed for EUS),
    • move trn(WUS sz)to MEX sz(blocks JPN attack on bb on J2)
      With this plan you might attack ALG or FWA on US 2 or wait to build more and attack F/N or WE on US 3/4(especially if UK built a carrier on UK 1-3 and you put a ftr or 2 on it on your part of the same turn :D .

No, Germay is NOT in a rut in your plan, facing invasion ONLY from the east.

• that was me !
    DKJTFCPO DGF IHRRF KUUR CLYTR!
    –---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I JUST CHECKED AND WAS LOGGED IN A MINUTE AGO! - Xi

• I must apologize but I have to bring up two things:

1. I meant to say build an aircraft carrier for the western USA T1 and a fighter for the eastern USA T1…I do not know why I said battleship…Probably just one of those things where if you have a word in your head, even if its not the one you mean, you say it anyway. My apologies.
    2. OK This deserves a HUGE apology. Like most boardgames, when I play A&A with family/friends, there are house rules. There are mainly two: 1) AA guns CAN be destroyed, but don’t have to in order to decide a batte’s outcome, and, the relevant one as pertains to this situation: 2) You can build IC’s anywhere, so long as you owned the territory since the beginning of the turn. (The Carolines often become a favorite territory for Japan when I play with these house rules). Once again, I apologize for not explaining this earlier.

• You can build an IC in previously neutral territories, and in other territories without any income value. An IC in territories like this can produce one unit each turn.

Look at the manual (second edition) page 14.

RW

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m