• I’m sure this question must have been asked and answered on this forum somewhere but I couldn’t find it when I searched.

From what I understand when you play TripleA via email or forums, you roll on the dice server and then choose appropriate casualties for the other side.  This makes obvious sense if you have to choose between a tank or an infantry.

But let’s say you attack with 2 tanks into a territory that is defended by one bomber and one fighter.  The dice server rolls 1 hit for you and 2 for the defenders.  How do you choose the casualty for your enemy?  Since a bomber is not simply an upgraded fighter you cant say that one is better than the other.  Bombers attack on 4 and maybe they really want to continue their “fuck your IPC” campaign.  Or maybe they feel they really need that fighter defense.

Maybe that example doesn’t pan out, but surely there must be SOME situation where a defender might have to make a decision on casualties

• My strategy for choosing casualties is useally the following:
    For land battles - when choosing oposing side’s  losses, if oponent it defending choose the unit with highest def roll making next rounds def weaker. When they are attacking choose unit with strongest attack roll. Sea battles work about the same except when air and CVs are involved.  If their air dosen’t have any moves left select the CV in this way while you  lose their fighters can’t land at the end of turn and therefor also lost.

When I can select my own casualties I usually do  exact opposite unless I need to take land and it’s a decision between a tank and fighter. Hope this helps.

-Ish

• In such situations, the attacker should email the defender BEFORE DEFENSIVE ROLLS ARE MADE and ask what the defender wants to allocate as casualties.

This email can be sent after the attacking rolls are made (at latest), or even a couple turns before the attacker makes the move (at earliest).

How could such an email be sent a couple turns before a move is made?  Suppose the defender can’t do anything about an upcoming attack; the attacker can then ask about conditions and order of losses without worrying about changing game conditions.

Like suppose me and my opponent both know my fig/bomber will be hit by 2 tanks (nothing more or less).  I might email my opponent instructing him/her “If your tanks get 2 hits then that’s clearly that; if your tanks get 1 hit on the first round, I’ll take a chance and take my fighter as a casualty; if your tanks get 0 hit on the first round then we’ll see how it goes; email me with the results.”

If the attacker already rolled the defensive dice, those are discarded.  That’s about how it works in a serious recorded league or tournament game.

If an attacker keeps making “wrong assumptions” and tries to discard a lot of dice that just happened to go poorly, obviously the attacker’s a schmoe.  Such attackers must wear the Ceremonial Hat of Shame at the annual meetings.

If it’s a casual game, clearly people can make their own informal agreements.

There is no secret annual meeting/orgy nor is there any actual Ceremonial Hat of Shame.  There will not be Belgian Waffles this upcoming Sunday at any alleged secret Officers’ meeting.  Bernie, I don’t have your hat from last Sunday.

This whole going back and forth with the emails and the checking of dice server rolls is why I prefer live games to PBEM games.  TripleA.  Weird dice sometimes, but very convenient.

• first of all, I’m tired of the spam trying to get me to buy hat of shame ceremony tickets.  If the ceremony isn’t real I’m probably only gonna get 5 or 6 more and that’s it.

second of all that makes sense, sounds like a server game would be much less complicated.

@ isnala:  I imagine you win a disproportionate amount of games that way

• Truth be told I’ve only played  in person games where you select your own casualties and I’m about average win/lose rate with the guys I usually play with. Never really played where you choose your oponents loses.

• @Isnala:

Truth be told I’ve only played  in person games where you select your own casualties and I’m about average win/lose rate with the guys I usually play with. Never really played where you choose your oponents loses.

yea, my point is when you are in a position where you have to choose your opponents losses you have to choose what they would want to choose if they could do it themselves.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

just save the game mid-battle, post the attack result, and ask them to choose.

Or if it’s their capital, and you are going in hard, just give them the best dice advantage, and if they get pissed, allow them to edit their units after to place whatever they want.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m