So I just bought Pacific - 2000 edition

• I never owned this game and a local shop had an old copy of it so I thought I’d give it a try or buy it just to have different colored miniatures for Global40 neutrals and the task forces plastic miniatures+paper sheets.

When I opened the board I saw this really nice and colored gameboard that impressed me. I gave a first read at the rulebook, I have read the FAQs here and I have set the board (although I didn’t play it yet).

I must say that at least on the look part this game is very gorgeous! My only complain could be on the chinese infantries, but what the heck, I have pacific40 Chinese infantry to use anyway.

I also like the rules and I see now where most of the global40 rules come from (As I said I never played this game this past 10 years, I had experience of classic and revised but not scenario games). The only rule that I don’t like is the submarine submerging mechanics.

I absolutely love how the convoy works! Especially the convoy routes.

A first look at the board setup made me think that it might be easy for Japan to achieve victory by focusing on India, but I didn’t play this game yet! So who knows!

If I had a free night with 2 friends, would it be better spent playing Pacific or Pacific40 in your opinion?

What should I know about this game? Any advices?

• The thing to know is that it is easy for Japan to focus on India and avoid the temptation to take Hawaii as Japan.

Use the alternate set-up. But otherwise just play OOB.

If you got the cherry red Japan pieces you owe yourself at least one game with the prettiest of all the A&A sets. The graphic design aesthetic on that set just ‘works’ on so many levels.

• Official Q&A

Once you’ve gotten good at playing Japan, you may find it too easy to win.  In such case, play to 24 victory points rather than 22.

• @frimmel:

The thing to know is that it is easy for Japan to focus on India and avoid the temptation to take Hawaii as Japan.

Use the alternate set-up. But otherwise just play OOB.

If you got the cherry red Japan pieces you owe yourself at least one game with the prettiest of all the A&A sets. The graphic design aesthetic on that set just ‘works’ on so many levels.

Yes I was lucky and I have cheery red Japanese soldiers (And I love them! I wish I could get enough plus mechinfs, cruisers and t.bombers to implement them in Global40)

@Krieghund:

Once you’ve gotten good at playing Japan, you may find it too easy to win.  In such case, play to 24 victory points rather than 22.

Thanks! I will definitely up the VP at 24 after we get more experienced with this game, thanks for the advice!

• I also have another question:

I’ve read many ppl complaining about a game mechanic called something like “sub stalling”.

What is it? They mean blockers?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The ‘Sub Stall’ is an old rule, that’s about transports not being able to load from a seazone that has “submerged” submarines in it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m