• Hi, I am a fan of the “normal” Axis and Allies and play int since several years. Now a friend of mine has bought the pacific version, we played it a couple of time and I must say, I’m quite dissapointed. Maybe we play it in the wrong way, because we`re used to the other version, but in non of our games the allies had even a chance to win the game.
    During the first turn the Japaneese player kills much of the allied fleet and in round two he owns all of the Islands in the south western pacific. The british have enought to do with protecting their capitols, and even if they manage to do so, Japan has 10 to 15 Victory-Points, at the moment the US-Player has a new fleet, that is big enough to be dagerous for the Japaneese ships. From that point on the allied can start to conquer back their territories, but its quite impossible to do so fast enough, to prevent the Japaneese player from winning by victory points.

What goes wrong with us?

• Other than being inexperienced, I can’t say there is anything wrong with your game play. First off, many players have found winning with the Allies to be difficult due to the seemingly easy task a good (or even inexperienced) Japanese player has of gaining the 22 VP’s. There are two things you can do. I have posted a link below to a webpage with the FAQ’s. This will answer many questions you may have on the rules, and will clarify others. Most importantly it has a slightly modified set-up to help balance the game. Avalon Hill admits they may have layed an egg with the VP’s, so make the Jap’s have to gain more than 22, somewhere between 24-28.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/faqs/axispacific

Secondly,if you wish not to mess with the rules and set-up, I suggest looking under strategies on this website. Under Axis and Allies Pacific you will find nearly a dozen excellent strategies written by Saburo S. Covering both Axis and an Allied strategies.

This is, IMO, the best variant of the Original. It is critical to continue playing it. The more experience you have, the more options you will find yourself finding, and thus the more balance you will find exists in this game.

• @Haacon:

Hi, I am a fan of the “normal” Axis and Allies and play int since several years. Now a friend of mine has bought the pacific version, we played it a couple of time and I must say, I’m quite dissapointed. Maybe we play it in the wrong way, because we`re used to the other version, but in non of our games the allies had even a chance to win the game.
    During the first turn the Japaneese player kills much of the allied fleet and in round two he owns all of the Islands in the south western pacific. The british have enought to do with protecting their capitols, and even if they manage to do so, Japan has 10 to 15 Victory-Points, at the moment the US-Player has a new fleet, that is big enough to be dagerous for the Japaneese ships. From that point on the allied can start to conquer back their territories, but its quite impossible to do so fast enough, to prevent the Japaneese player from winning by victory points.

What goes wrong with us?

The Out of Box rules for AAPacific are heavily slanted in favour of Japan.  Equally capable players will see that Japan will almost always win.  To even our the game, give the Allied players 12 extra IPCs to spend (one time only) at the start of Allies 1.  The Allied player allocates these extra IPCs among India, Australia and US before J1.  This is in addition to the convoy money that is split between Australia and UK.  Finally, have Japan play to 24 IPCs.  Leave everything else the same and you will see that the game is well balanced.

SS

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m