Finally, I have my map printed! Oh, yea!!!

• Customizer

You are to be commended on such a job Well Done!

Do you think the extra space makes a difference?

To me it does.

And I couldn’t agree more that a LARGER MAP definately makes a BIG difference,…pun intended.  I had mine enlarged 150 % to 48" x 108" by a proffessional digital sign company.

As he said, it cost me a good bit but I feel it was definately worth it to get rid of all the frustrations of having so many units “piled-up” on a gameboard that is realistically too small to handle everything easily.  And it looks SO COOL and is large enough to plan your moves on from a distance.

As I said before,…Well Done on your map!

“Tall Paul”

• @Tall:

And I couldn’t agree more that a LARGER MAP definately makes a BIG difference,…pun intended.  I had mine enlarged 150 % to 48" x 108" by a proffessional digital sign company.

“Tall Paul”

Cripes!!!  I thought mine was “big” at 84" x 38.5".  Yours boarders on flat out ridiculous!!!  My map was too dang expensive at my size anyways.  I shudder to think what the cost of your size was.

• Customizer

GSH34,

Nope, I wouldn’t say 48" x 108" is ridiculous at all.  I would say it’s a very pleasant size map to use.  When we first started playing our G-40 games one of our gang accidently dropped a Tank unit onto the gameboard in the middle of Europe.  WOW,…was that a MESS!  That helped me with the thoughts I already had of enlarging the map.

I remembered the huge combat maps I’d seen in several movies and wanted a Large Map to hold our wars on.

I originally intended to have it enlarged to 60" x 135" but I felt that it would be difficult to transport it.  I really wish I had gone ahead with the Larger 60" x 135" size now as I haven’t moved it yet!

Like you yourself said,…it so much easier to “fit” everything onto a larger map.  And by the way,…my Dad who is 87 and a WW2 veteran plays Axis & Allies with us and it really helps him see everything better.

“Tall Paul”

• Tall Paul,

I did not mean to say “ridiculous” as an insult.  I actually meant it as a positive….like people who use a negative term for something positive. (Think skaters…“That move was sick!!!)  For what it is worth, I think it is great a map of that size is practical for you. For some sea zones and territories I wish my map was larger too.  At some point though, I had to bring into consideration how much room it would take up on my wall and the cost factor.  At an appreciably larger size than 84” x 38", my map would’ve been relegated to the garage, which, with no air conditioning and being in Texas, would be a detriment to comfortable play for a large part of the year.

Also, I salute you and your dad for playing.  That is cool to be able to play with him. 8-) 8-) 8-)  It definitely makes what you have done with your map worth it.

• Customizer

GSH,

Don’t be concerned,…I certainly took your comments as POSITIVE ones.

And I truly meant my compliments on the FINE job you did.

I think this hobby should be “FUN” and be something we all might share and enjoy.  
    It is NOT a “contest” of any kind and neither were my comments concerning my map.

By the way,…I mounted my map on 1/4" Gatorboard and had planned on placing a sheet of iron(or steel) under it so I can “magnetize” my units, also.

Again,…you did a Great Job on yours and you should be proud of it.

------------------------------------------

By the way,…WHAT PART OF TEXAS ARE YOU LOCATED IN?  I’m in the Longview, TX area in NorthEast Texas.  If you’re close enough maybe we could get together for a War of our own.  
    I usually go over to Shreveport, LA where I’m from and my family still lives to get some A&A “action”.

“Tall Paul”

• @gsh34:

@salan:

wow, this is exactly what my wife and myself were talking about doing……

Your wife??  Who the heck plays this game with their wife? :-D   (sorry Jen, you are clearly the anomaly around here).  My wife pokes fun at me for playing this.

Hah, mid 30 year olds with 4 kids… not much to do in the evenings as we both don’t watch much TV…  Only problem is space with the toddler stealing half the southern hemisphere if I leave the board on a tabletop anywhere but locked in our bedroom (which works so far for g40…)  but this g39 map we have coming is bigger and won’t fit in our bedroom, so its gotta get magnetized and put on the wall.

I guess I lucked out with the wife wanting to be involved …

• Customizer

Salan,

Definately count your blessings!  Not only are you able to enjoy something you both like,…but it is QUALITY TIME for the two of you together(and gets your mind off all of your responsibilites).  You’re no doubt a lucky man.

“Tall Paul”

• @Tall:

GSH,

By the way,…WHAT PART OF TEXAS ARE YOU LOCATED IN?  I’m in the Longview, TX area in NorthEast Texas.  If you’re close enough maybe we could get together for a War of our own.  
    I usually go over to Shreveport, LA where I’m from and my family still lives to get some A&A “action”.

“Tall Paul”

San Antonio….deep in the heart of Texas!  My wife is in a dental residency program and we have another tike coming within the next month.  So, I will have to take a pass on playing up there by you.  However, if you get into my neck of the woods let me know.  Maybe I could squeeze something in.

• Wouldn’t the resolution of the map look bad at that size?

• Customizer

Zallomato,

The Digital Sign store that I went to takes digital pictures and routinely enlarges them
    into BILLBOARD SIZE prints of approximately 12’ x 36’.  They are real pro’s and their work is awesome.  So you can see that my little gameboard that was only enlarged 150% is still extremely sharp in it’s detail.  I still wished I’d have gone for the 60" x 135".

“Tall Paul”

• Wish I could find one in Ohio!

• Customizer

Zallomallo,

It shouldn’t be too dificult to find one in these “high-tech” days.  Shreveport, LA only has about 250,000 people so you should be able to easily find a sign shop in a really big city.

“Tall Paul”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m