• We played last night. I lost. I’m going to the volcano to sacrifice virgins to appease the dice gods now ;)

• Pray tell, what happenend? Global startegy for each player?

• The dice beat Hobbes.  I was just there for the ride.

In the game previous, Hobbes beat me, and not with luck.

So honestly, I can’t say I’m at all on the same level as Hobbes yet.

In related news, Zhukov beat me with a sub/fighter/infantry/tank R1 build.  I think I can get him, though.  I don’t break out into a cold sweat nights thinking about his game, anyways.

Blow by blow recap of bunnies vs hobbes:

R1 buy 5 inf 1 art 1 tank.  Combat was WR/UKR attack with 2 tanks 1 fighter to Ukraine, 2 tanks 1 fighter to WR (purpose was destruction of German units at Ukraine, not necessarily capture, and more strength at WR to preserve Russian infantry)  Combat results left 7 infantry plus asst. at WR, 1 inf plus asst. at Ukraine. Rather a blowout in dice.  Noncombat, moved units west, left 3 infantry at Yakut, 1 at Buryatia to pressure Japs.

G2 captured Anglo-Egypt with 1 tank remaining.  Other than that, lost fighter in sub/fighter/bomber attack vs UK battleship.  Lost another fighter vs cruiser at W Europe.  Destroyer moved northwest of Norway to stop UK landing, subs split between north and northwest of Western Europe.  Ended with 1 inf at Karelia, 1 inf at Belorussia, 3 tanks at Ukraine.  Slightly bad dice with fighter losses, and with 1 unit left at Anglo-Egypt.

UK1 killed German Baltic transport with bomber, destroyer with fighters.  Send infantry/fighter to Anglo-Egypt, and cruiser, transport, and infantry to Borneo.  AC used vs Kwangtung transport. Used Australia transport against New Guinea.    Failed at New Guinea.  No losses in other places.  Note:  I forgot to unload my Borneo transport, but Hobbes (polite opponent that he is) allowed the turns to cycle and IPCs to be adjusted so we could play as if I had not committed that serious blunder.  Turned out I captured Borneo with both UK infantry surviving.  Landed bomber in Asia, fighters at Moscow; India fighter landed at Persia with consolidated 2 infantry and AA gun, UK sub ended at Solomons.  (This threatens 1 sub 2 fighters 1 bomber 1 AC 1 cruiser to sea zone east of Japan on UK2.  Japan can dodge a lot of this by moving fleet west of Japan, but that slows Japan’s development)

J1 bought 3 transports 1 destroyer, did Pearl Light (sub/cruiser/fighter/bomber), with Jap BB vs UK AC, Jap BB+AC vs UK cruiser, and inf/tank/2 fighter vs 2 infantry at Borneo.  5 inf + 2 fighter vs China.  Japan retook Borneo at the cost of 1 inf 2 fighters.  (kept tank, as tank is 5 IPC unit, Borneo 4 IPC territory, plus logistic advantage of nearby transport).  Lost fighter and cruiser at Pearl.  Destroyed US forces at China, but lost 5 infantry, and did not capture territory.  Sea zone east of Japan had 1 destroyer, 1 AC, and 2 fighters.

US1 bought AC, DD, transport, 2 tanks, 1 infantry.  Attacked Japan fleet with sub/fighter.  Got 1 destroyer 1 fighter out of the deal.  Purpose of this attack to weaken the fleet for the UK followup.  Flew US bomber to Archangel, US fighters to UK carrier northwest of London.

R2 sent 2 inf 1 fighter vs 1 German inf at Karelia, inf/artillery vs 1 German inf at Belorussia, 2 inf 1 art 1 tank 1 fighter vs 3 German tanks at Ukraine, 1 inf vs 1 Jap infantry at Manchuria.  Failed at Manchuria.  Took Karelia with 1 inf, Belorussia with 1 artillery, and Ukraine with no casualties.

G2 performed various territory trades and capture of Anglo-Egypt with inf/tank.

UK2 attacked Trans-Jordan with 2 infantry 3 fighter to give US fighters a place to land after anticipated US2 attack (2 fighter 1 bomber) on German Med fleet.  Before trying that attack, though, I attacked sea zone east of Japan with sub and bomber.  Killed carrier, lost UK bomber.  Japanese fighter couldn’t hit UK sub, so Jap fleet lost.

Game called.

• ouch.  bad dice can be extremely frustrating, hats off to hobbes for not getting down about it.  i can see from this description that you guys are playing on a whole other level compared to me, i’m pretty sure i couldn’t’ve won against either of you with loaded dice!  in fact i’m terrified to play against a human at all on triplea, but i’ll get there i’me sure.

i feel like i had a point when i started this reply, but i’ve lost it somewhere between then and now…  sorry about the ramble!

• @ragnarok628:

i feel like i had a point when i started this reply, but i’ve lost it somewhere between then and now…  sorry about the ramble!

Murphy’s Law? ;)

Bunnies took advantage of the opportunities presented, so his win was not only because of dice.

• '12

Out of curiosity, where do most of your games occur, on this site, triple a or in person?  It doesn’t seem like many '42 games are played here which is unfortunate.  I like to review the games here and viewing the maps provided is key.  Its a great learning opportunity to see how people handle dice and adapt to new situations.  Saying “I did this in Round 4” doesn’t mean much without the context of the game-state and how it came to be like that.

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Out of curiosity, where do most of your games occur, on this site, triple a

I play mostly TripleA, with a live game with my friends from time to time. Others also play by email or using the forums or use the official online game.

• '16 '15 '10

@MrMalachiCrunch:

Out of curiosity, where do most of your games occur, on this site, triple a or in person?  It doesn’t seem like many '42 games are played here which is unfortunate.  I like to review the games here and viewing the maps provided is key.  Its a great learning opportunity to see how people handle dice and adapt to new situations.  Saying “I did this in Round 4” doesn’t mean much without the context of the game-state and how it came to be like that.

Most online 42 gaming happens live on the TripleA or GTO lobby.  In the TripleA lobby (where BPW and Hobbes and I have been playing) you can join tables to see what is happening in real time and look at the game history…

I think it would be cool if we organized a small club or perhaps a small round robin tournament either here or at the TripleA War Club–those games could be pbem or live.

@Bunnies:

In related news, Zhukov beat me with a sub/fighter/infantry/tank R1 build.  I think I can get him, though.  I don’t break out into a cold sweat nights thinking about his game, anyways.

Lol well I’ll try to be more convincing next time then.  It was a pretty tight game until the dice in the Battle for Moscow went Stalin’s way.

• @Zhukov and Hobbes:

Would it be possible that you guys (or some other of the ,AA-elite’) sometimes play a ,public game’, announcing it one day before, since it depends on pure luck to catch up with you in the TripleA-lobby.

That would be a very great help for the absolute beginners (to which group I belong too).

• @Zhukov44:

I think it would be cool if we organized a small club or perhaps a small round robin tournament either here or at the TripleA War Club–those games could be pbem or live.

i would look into being a part of something like that, i can’t get many people to play live with and the triplea AI plays on the level of a demented squirrel.  how long does an online game tend to take for triplea?

• @ragnarok628:

@Zhukov44:

i would look into being a part of something like that, i can’t get many people to play live with and the triplea AI plays on the level of a demented squirrel.  how long does an online game tend to take for triplea?

Really depends on the level of both opponents. Some of my games only last 2 hours, the more challenging ones tend to last longer.

I play almost everyday nowadays, either around 5 pm or 12 pm GMT, if anyone is interested in having a look.

• @Hobbes:

I play almost everyday nowadays, either around 5 pm or 12 pm GMT, if anyone is interested in having a look.

You apply the same nickname there, I suppose?

• @polybios:

@Hobbes:

You apply the same nickname there, I suppose?

Hobbes___ with a tail ;)

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Out of curiosity, where do most of your games occur, on this site, triple a or in person?  It doesn’t seem like many '42 games are played here which is unfortunate.  I like to review the games here and viewing the maps provided is key.  Its a great learning opportunity to see how people handle dice and adapt to new situations.  Saying “I did this in Round 4” doesn’t mean much without the context of the game-state and how it came to be like that.

I play on TripleA.  Your comment on context is dead on.  I would have commented more, only people tend to fall asleep when I go on.  And on.  And on.  :roll:

• @Bunnies:

I play on TripleA.  Your comment on context is dead on.  I would have commented more, only people tend to fall asleep when I go on.  And on.  And on.   :roll:

Well, if you experienced this, it’s a pity. Actually, I am completely convinced that if you (or Hobbes or someone else) posted a game here with screen shots explaining to what extent the moves have been turned out as ,good’ or ,bad’ moves or which moves were supposed to be a promising strategy, many new players and newbies (like me) would be utterly grateful to you for such an effort. Moreover, I am quite sure that we could learn a lot! Not everyone has the board completely in mind as the best players here seem to have.

So, without any intention of sucking up to you, I could listen to you (i.e. reading you comments) as long as you are willing to do so…

• '12

Polybios, ABattleMap is a good start.  When I read strategies/moves I often fire it up to view a digital map of the game.  When I first used it I still used my board/setup as it seemed more natural, it didn’t take long to forgo the real life board and stick to the digital map.  Of course I sit in front of my 55" LG and use it as a monitor since my accident, much more convenient than the stairs to my office, least that’s what I tell the GF!

Then with that you can review online games played here and download the maps and do a play by play, see their moves outlined here, see how the dice play out, see the NCM moves and view if moves/options were missed.

Zhukov44 and other triplea users:

I have yet explore triple a so forgive me if I ask silly questions :-)

1. Does the game have to be in progress to view it?

2. If so does that imply then that once a game is ‘over’/‘closed’ it becomes unaccessible ?

What is the big draw of triplea?  More opponents?  Better opponents?  Faster response time for turns?

There really are few examples of '42 play on this site, much more than there was in the summer but much more than next to nothing is still not a plethora.

It would be neat if there was an easy was to view a catalog of games played here sorted by version and perhaps subordered by bids and optional rules.  I suppose that could be done via search but a human generated list would be better, just more work and perhaps more than it is worth.

• '16 '15 '10

I agree that any strategy article would be better if there is a TripleA file to go along with it as a visual.

Re. TripleA, each save file is a finished game or a game in progress.  You can look at them in single player mode.  If you wanted to, you could go on the TripleA lobby, find Hobbes’ game, and then save the game file for yourself so you can look at it later.

The “Game History” function lets you see every move and buy that was made in the game (along with a visual of how the board looked at that stage), so imho a TripleA file is a better learning tool than looking at Battlemap maps and forum pages.  TripleA also offers an excellent PBEM function, which is far less time consuming than Battlemap.  Playing TripleA pbem ladder games, I tend to practice moves in single player mode (with pbem mode off) to see how they play out, before I actually take my turn in the pbem game.  Also, with TripleA you don’t have to worry about cheating or unintentional map errors messing up games, which is especially important if people aren’t making moves very often.

Biggest draw of TripleA is the software simplifies the game and is bug-free.  The features are great (save, edit, game history, in game calc).  It’s also lightweight and doesn’t eat up much bandwith or memory.  There are a wide variety of maps to play (there’s an engine to create user-generated maps, and approx 50% of the games played are user-created maps).  And you can play it live or by email.

I wouldn’t say there are more or better opponents than you find here.  However a TripleA pbem goes way faster than a Battlemap pbem, for obvious reasons.

Personally, if I wasn’t a really fast typist, I wouldn’t mess around with Battlemap at all, because of the time required to type everything out.

If you’re interested in learning more, download the latest Stable and see for yourself!  But bear in mind, it does take a little getting used to!

http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki
    http://www.tripleawarclub.org/

• '12

Zhukov44, thanks for the reply, I will get up to speed on triplea then if for no other reason than the learning opportunity.  But……once a comfort level occurs who knows.

I am sure AxisandAllies.org will always be my AandA home however, great community here!

• I am a big fan of triplea PBEM but a quick look at the find players forum doesn’t yield any posts for triplea email partners, unless I am looking in the wrong place.  I have played with a few people that I know locally, but is there a list somewhere of players that do triplea PBEM Spring 1942?  Just wondering, of course I would play any of you……

• For TripleA, you just show up in the lobby and look for a v4 game.  (v4 is Spring 1942; v3 is 50th edition).

Maps like New World Order and v3 1941 and 1942 scenarios are far more popular right now on the TripleA lobby than v4 (Spring 1942).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m