Huge pre-war U.S. income in AA1940 Global. Alternate income schedule.

• '10

As I recall, Jeremy of FMG addressed this issue some time back. The huge pre-war income of the U.S. (52 IPCs). With this kind of income the U.S. is ready and in position with a large fleet when the war does come their way. For example when the Japanese do declare war the U.S. Pacific fleet is large and in position which prevents the Japanese fleet from moving too far from home waters when they need to be moving towards the Indies to increase their income. Now if Japan moves to attack U.S. territories on round one then this just hurts the Germans and Italians as the U.S. gains even more income through NOs and brings Americans to the shores of Africa or Europe sooner. What I am thinking of trying is giving the U.S. a smaller pre-war income but carrying the balance forward to later rounds so that the total is the same but they do not get it all so quick. It makes no sense to me that the U.S. should have such a large peacetime military budget. I will work out a schedule before our Alpha+1 game next Monday and see what difference it makes.

• With the Minor IC’s, the US can’t build too many ships.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

With the Minor IC’s, the US can’t build too many ships.

The minor ICs do not make much difference. First round the U.S. can build one CV, one DD and one f6f to place in sea zone 10. Plus two f6fs to place in central U.S. (52 IPCs) Second round they can build one CV, one BB and one DD in sea zone 10 and one f6f in central U.S. (52 IPCs) Fly the two f6fs from central U.S. that were purchased in the first round and add the original setup fleet and look what you have to start round three with. If my figures are correct you will have 3 fully loaded CVs, 2 BBs, 2 CAs, 4 DDs, 1 transport and 1 sub. All of this and the U.S. is not even at war yet.

• Sure. Meanwhile, the US has no navy in Europe, where Germany and Italy are on a rampage.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

Sure. Meanwhile, the US has no navy in Europe, where Germany and Italy are on a rampage.

The U.S. will probably start spending big money in the Atlantic at the start of turn four. Two keys to allied success in Europe. One is a smart U.S.S.R player. They have enough cash and time to purchase a combination of defensive and offensive units to keep themselves in the position to counter attack and kill expensive axis units when an opportunity presents itself. The other key is for as much as the U.K. navy to survive the early rounds so as to keep the axis navy bottled up. The U.S. is keeping Japan honest with its early built fleet in the Pacific and by turn five should be ready to threaten Africa. Norway and Gibraltar are two importent territories for the allies to take.

• If the US totally ignores Europe a smart Germany will pull of Sea Lion and be able to hold it since the US went all out Pacific. Just my two cents.  I think the minor’s are a good fix, the US needs that income or else the game becomes unbalanced.  The US must spend money in both theaters at once, hence the 52 IPC.  And the minor ICs allow a limit of total purchases in each theater, thereby increasing the incentive for the US to “spread the wealth” and not pursue a one-theater strategy.

• '10

@dadler12:

If the US totally ignores Europe a smart Germany will pull of Sea Lion and be able to hold it since the US went all out Pacific. Just my two cents.  I think the minor’s are a good fix, the US needs that income or else the game becomes unbalanced.  The US must spend money in both theaters at once, hence the 52 IPC.  And the minor ICs allow a limit of total purchases in each theater, thereby increasing the incentive for the US to “spread the wealth” and not pursue a one-theater strategy.

In our Alpha+1 game scheduled for this monday I am going to try a new income schedule for the U.S. I do not intend to reduce the total amount of IPCs for the U.S. they just will not get them so quickly to reflect the low pre-war military budget. The first turn they will get 30 IPCs and carry a balance of 22 forward. The second turn they get 30 again and carry a balance of 44 forward. The third turn they get 40 and the balance is 56. Turn four 50 and balance of 58. Turn five they get 60  and balance of 50. Turn six they get 70 and balance of 32. Turn seven 84 balance of 0. Of course when the U.S. goes to war the NOs also apply. If war is declared on U.S. early then the income jumps to turn four. The main point of all this is to slow down the building of huge pre-war fleets that appear at the end of turn three and in position to strike as well.

• '10

@Fishmoto37:

As I recall, Jeremy of FMG addressed this issue some time back. The huge pre-war income of the U.S. (52 IPCs). With this kind of income the U.S. is ready and in position with a large fleet when the war does come their way. For example when the Japanese do declare war the U.S. Pacific fleet is large and in position which prevents the Japanese fleet from moving too far from home waters when they need to be moving towards the Indies to increase their income. Now if Japan moves to attack U.S. territories on round one then this just hurts the Germans and Italians as the U.S. gains even more income through NOs and brings Americans to the shores of Africa or Europe sooner. What I am thinking of trying is giving the U.S. a smaller pre-war income but carrying the balance forward to later rounds so that the total is the same but they do not get it all so quick. It makes no sense to me that the U.S. should have such a large peacetime military budget. I will work out a schedule before our Alpha+1 game next Monday and see what difference it makes.

Used this income schedule in our game 12/20/10. Slowed the U.S. just a little. See posts under 1940 Global.@Fishmoto37:

@dadler12:

If the US totally ignores Europe a smart Germany will pull of Sea Lion and be able to hold it since the US went all out Pacific. Just my two cents.  I think the minor’s are a good fix, the US needs that income or else the game becomes unbalanced.  The US must spend money in both theaters at once, hence the 52 IPC.  And the minor ICs allow a limit of total purchases in each theater, thereby increasing the incentive for the US to “spread the wealth” and not pursue a one-theater strategy.

In our Alpha+1 game scheduled for this monday I am going to try a new income schedule for the U.S. I do not intend to reduce the total amount of IPCs for the U.S. they just will not get them so quickly to reflect the low pre-war military budget. The first turn they will get 30 IPCs and carry a balance of 22 forward. The second turn they get 30 again and carry a balance of 44 forward. The third turn they get 40 and the balance is 56. Turn four 50 and balance of 58. Turn five they get 60  and balance of 50. Turn six they get 70 and balance of 32. Turn seven 84 balance of 0. Of course when the U.S. goes to war the NOs also apply. If war is declared on U.S. early then the income jumps to turn four. The main point of all this is to slow down the building of huge pre-war fleets that appear at the end of turn three and in position to strike as well.

• '10

@Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

With the Minor IC’s, the US can’t build too many ships.

The minor ICs do not make much difference. First round the U.S. can build one CV, one DD and one f6f to place in sea zone 10. Plus two f6fs to place in central U.S. (52 IPCs) Second round they can build one CV, one BB and one DD in sea zone 10 and one f6f in central U.S. (52 IPCs) Fly the two f6fs from central U.S. that were purchased in the first round and add the original setup fleet and look what you have to start round three with. If my figures are correct you will have 3 fully loaded CVs, 2 BBs, 2 CAs, 4 DDs, 1 transport and 1 sub. All of this and the U.S. is not even at war yet.

Someone brought to my attention that I had made a small player error in this post. I had thought that the cost of a CV was 14 IPCs. Oh well no big deal. Ths first round the U.S. can actually build two CVs and one DD in zone 10. Then one f6f in central U.S. Fly the two f6fs from Hawaii and one f6f with one SBD from west U.S. to land on the new CVs. Round two purchase one CV, one BB and one DD for zone 10. Plus one f6f to place on the east coast. Fly the f6f in the central U.S. and the original f6f from the east coast to zone 10 to place on the new CV. At the conclusion of round two you could have 4 fully loaded CVs, 2 BBs, 2 CAs, 3 DDs and 1 sub. That is an impressive fleet in anybodies book. That is enough to keep the Japanese honest. By the way, I dont use the P38s for carriers. Just for my land based planes. They look funky on carriers.

• Why do you call fighters f6f?

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

Why do you call fighters f6f?

Because the single engine plastic sculpts that we have are supposed to be f6f hellcats.

• '10

I’m excited to see what you come up with.

• '10

@FieldMarshalGames:

I’m excited to see what you come up with.

Scheduled to finish our current Alpha+1 game monday. 12/27/10. The U.S. player is weak in the Atlantic after six rounds but he did put most of his resources in the Pacific. Plus he did over extend himself and lost one U.S. fleet to the Japanese.

• I like the idea of this income chart i re-wrote it as a chart to make it easy when collecting income, but a question came up, If USA losses/gains territories before turn 7 are these losses/gains not reflected? This scale shows USA collecting 52 ipcs a turn for the first 6 rounds but if they loose Philippines say on turn 3, those 2 ipcs are continually generated until the end of turn 6. Is this the intention or a non-issues that should be placed under the category K.I.S.S?

NEW USA INCOME SCALE
    Starting                           30ipc
    End of Turn 1 Collect         30ipc (+N.O. if at War)
    End of Turn 2 Collect         40ipc (+N.O. if at War)
    End of Turn 3 Collect         50ipc + N.O.
    End of Turn 4 Collect         60ipc + N.O.
    End of Turn 5 Collect         70ipc + N.O.
    End of Turn 6 Collect         84ipc + N.O.
    End of Turn 7 Collect         Actual chart income + N.O.

• '10

@cressman8064:

I like the idea of this income chart i re-wrote it as a chart to make it easy when collecting income, but a question came up, If USA losses/gains territories before turn 7 are these losses/gains not reflected? This scale shows USA collecting 52 ipcs a turn for the first 6 rounds but if they loose Philippines say on turn 3, those 2 ipcs are continually generated until the end of turn 6. Is this the intention or a non-issues that should be placed under the category K.I.S.S?

NEW USA INCOME SCALE
    Starting                          30ipc
    End of Turn 1 Collect        30ipc (+N.O. if at War)
    End of Turn 2 Collect        40ipc (+N.O. if at War)
    End of Turn 3 Collect        50ipc + N.O.
    End of Turn 4 Collect        60ipc + N.O.
    End of Turn 5 Collect        70ipc + N.O.
    End of Turn 6 Collect        84ipc + N.O.
    End of Turn 7 Collect        Actual chart income + N.O.

Happy New Year cressman. My U.S. income chart is just a player aid to help avoid confusion. The U.S. income record is still kept on the chart along with the other nations with the exception that the U.S. starts at 30 IPCs. The left hand column on my chart will vary according to gains and losses as normal. The right hand column does not change as it just shows a balance carried forward. So if Japan takes the Philippines on J3 then the U.S. income will be marked at 28 IPCs. At the end of the third turn for the U.S. the chart will be moved to 38 IPCs unless the U.S. retakes the Philippines. If they do then the chart is set on 40 and the U.S. collects that amount plus NOs. Now with that said I am only in my first game playtesting this. So far we have completed eleven rounds and the change has only slowed the U.S. down a little. It is my intention to change sides in the next game and play the allies. After that game I should have a better idea if this new schedule has accomplished anything. Now one more thing. We never have played these games with victory cities. We play until one side is defeated or surrenders. So our games will last a little longer than some. You can find the our current game report under Global 1940 on page two or three.

IMAG0012.JPG

• '10

U.S.A income schedule                                            Turn                        IPCs                          Balance                    #1                          30                              22                        #2                          30                              44                        #3                          40                              56        + NOs        #4                          50                              58        + NOs        #5                          60                              50        + NOs        #6                          70                              32        + NOs        #7                          84                              00        + NOs        #8                          52                              00        + NOs

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m