• I am finally getting the chance to play AARHE. I haven’t looked at it for some time and recently printed and read the rules. I had some questions about things I thought where unclear

1.The infantry building: For the authoritarian governments(Germany,Italy,Japan,USSR) does VC connected to Capitol mean a VC that is adjacent or touching a Capitol? How does the UK and US work? In a non Minor VC the 1st you buy is 2 and the rest is 4?

2. The Convoys: You have to record all your convoys before the collect income phase? Is this not very time consuming? Is there a form for this or are you suppose to just right it down? In the example it says 8 to 9 space from Australia to UK. I don’t see how it is 8. I think it would be 9 to 10.

3. Land Combat Hit Allocation: It says that Land unit hits must be allocated to land units and not warplanes. What happens when you attack an area with just planes defending? What happens when Planes just attack land units?

4. Lend Lease: It says that the Lend Lease money must be offloaded in SZ 4(Archangel, makes sense like AAE) and SZ 34. SZ 34 is in the Indian Ocean. Wouldn’t you unload to the UK? I must be missing something.

The last thing is just a comment. I like the idea of the infantry building. It is more realistic but, where some of the powers can build Infantry is questionable historically. The Allies seem find where you can build infantry but, the Axis and a different question. Did the Japanese really recruit significant manpower from the Philipines, East Indies, and Borneo to justify building a corps or 2 of infantry there a turn? Same thing with Western Europe and Ukraine. I think it would be more historical if you could build in Norway/Finland to represent Finland’s significant contributions against USSR and not the few divisions that where recruited from Western Europe.

• I won’t give you a welcome and thanks for feedback kind of opening since you are a contributor.  :-D

Some of the issues were bought up before. But sorry haven’t been uploading newer files.

Also it seems you are not using the latest (August) file.

I probably won’t be uploading new version for some time as we are busy working on new colourful professional looking version. There’ll be changes too.

1. Connected means connected via land with only your territories. For example none of Japan’s VC are connected to Tokyo. Didn’t realise the its so confusing for UK/US. Maybe should list them separately. Non-minor VC 2, 3, 4… Minor VC 3, 4, 4…

2. Thats not the latest version. You don’t have to write anything down. August version…
    “An IPC path consisting of sea zones is a “Convoy”. It enters the sea from the source or an adjacent territory. It can then travel to the destination territory via the minimal number of sea zones or one additional sea zone.
    Each hostile naval unit except AP (transport) in a convoy sea zone may perform a convoy attack roll. 1 IPC of friendly convoys in that sea zone is destroyed on a roll of 3 or less.”
    Though Imperious is looking to change to convoy zone system.

3. In the first case your air units’ can go on enemy air units. Your land unit don’t have to roll. In the second case the air units get to fire for one cycle and then retreat. If they can’t retreat they are destroyed.

4. Imperious decided they were historic zones. I do think it should be more flexible. SZ34 is south of suez canal.

“Last thing”. Yeah can try to tweak the VCs. We wanted to be realistic. But for gameplay some things we had to let go. For example UK shouldn’t be able to raise troops in Egypt imo. Egypt was neutral and only give UK base rights due to treaties. Troops had to be shipped there.

• Did the Japanese really recruit significant manpower from the Philipines, East Indies, and Borneo to justify building a corps or 2 of infantry there a turn.

As you may know the placement of infantry on non-connected places like island cost 4 ipc. This doesn’t represent the draft of all indigenous peoples, but rather the cost of detached territories and the supply issues required to sustain men on islands. Of course we are assuming that ships not represented by transports are in fact transporting infantry to controlled territories. The problem with AAR is the fact that once the fleet is gone you basically cant do anything to get supplies (troops). I don’t think that the primary warships represented by this game are the only combat groups but only the major fleet elements.

Thus we only allow infantry on non-connected island groups.

If i was you id download the most current file of the phase 3 map and rules.

BTW the Japanese did recruit many peoples for garrison duty including chinese.

• 2. The Convoys: You have to record all your convoys before the collect income phase? Is this not very time consuming? Is there a form for this or are you suppose to just right it down? In the example it says 8 to 9 space from Australia to UK. I don’t see how it is 8. I think it would be 9 to 10.

++++ this is one of the changes in the new 1.3 version that has been dropped due to tedious counting

3. Land Combat Hit Allocation: It says that Land unit hits must be allocated to land units and not warplanes. What happens when you attack an area with just planes defending? What happens when Planes just attack land units?

+++++ land units cannot attack planes. if that happens the planes fly to a friendly territory within 1/2 flight range and the units can even blitz the territory because planes cant control territory alone unless they previously had land units that moved thru last.

4. Lend Lease: It says that the Lend Lease money must be offloaded in SZ 4(Archangel, makes sense like AAE) and SZ 34. SZ 34 is in the Indian Ocean. Wouldn’t you unload to the UK? I must be missing something.

+++ again more changes this was dropped. not to worry.

• 3. We don’t allow blitz like that. You would have to add that in.

• yes another thing to add. ok LOL! :evil:

• So where can I read the most up to date version? Thanks for your answers.

• Look under AARHE 1.3 latest files under my posts. Rules and map are posted and the rules includes set up sheets

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m