All these AARs; why don't you mention the French units?

• @UN:

UN, Italy should take Bulgaria to get 4 inf to take Greece I2.

That’s entirely up to the German and Italian players to decide who gets Bulgaria.

Anyway, in our current game, France is down to 3 inf(UK, Sudan[came from West Africa], Morocco[facing an Italian inf in Algeria] and the Madagascar DD in Z39[will die on Japan’s turn]). In 2-3 turns, I bet the UK inf and maybe the Sudan inf will be the only French units alive(since Sudan will likely no be taken by Italy for a while

French player didn’t consolidate the North African infantry in Algeria? That’s smart. That should happen irregardless of whether Italy decides to take Tunis on its first turn or not. Honestly, the Italian player should throw everything its got at the Brits first; they’re a much bigger threat than leaderless French infantry. Of course, this is coming from a conservative player; I try not to try to do everything at once in my first turn as an Axis player. As Germany, I either invade Britain or the USSR, not both; I’ll use the Luftwaffe either to better defeat the Allied armies in France or take out the British navy, not both. That also means that, more or less, the Axis need to decide whether they want to dominate the Atlantic or the Med. Not, initially, both.

Britain tried a Taranto raid and failed, losing a DD, CA, and tac, while just damaging the Italian BB. Italy had 2 transports, so it used one to take Algeria and took Tunis with the Libyan inf.

• Here is our game position after R4:

AAG40_Gamer,calvin,BadSpell,Sgt_04bCommies.AAM

• UN, when are you going to make that “Why people underestimate the French” thread?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

UN, when are you going to make that “Why people underestimate the French” thread?

Meh, maybe sometime. It’s not that they’re a real gamebreaker or anything. The most effective they can be is to be a thorn in the side for Italy with its three North African infantry (assuming Italy doesn’t attack Tunisia), while defending the Brit fleet in the Med, or even attacking the Italian fleet if given the chance while the Madagascar destroyer defends the Red Sea (or joins up with the Med fleet in Europe 1940). I think once Paris is liberated is when it really begins to become a serious threat again.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Here is our game position after R4:

Western Europe is virtually undefended? Are the Allies ever going to try to push into China?

• @UN:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Here is our game position after R4:

Western Europe is virtually undefended? Are the Allies ever going to try to push into China?

Well, there are so far no transports in range.
    As for China, where do we push from? There are 2 options: India or Russia. Russia can send a few units, but need to focus on Germany. India is making 5 ipcs/tun. The 12 inf in Burma will be decimated if they get too close to Japanese air force

• @calvinhobbesliker:

UN, when are you going to make that “Why people underestimate the French” thread?

We dont, and that’s why no french units survive T1. We dont want a french can-opener, so we just kill them as soon as possible.

• @Razor:

@calvinhobbesliker:

We dont, and that’s why no french units survive T1. We dont want a french can-opener, so we just kill them as soon as possible.

UK inf will survive unless Germany decides to lose 5-6 planes strafing England. French West African inf and Madagascar DD will survive. Morocco inf will usually survive. If Taranto goes well, either the Syria inf or the Algerian inf will survive.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Razor:

@calvinhobbesliker:

UK inf will survive unless Germany decides to lose 5-6 planes strafing England. French West African inf and Madagascar DD will survive. Morocco inf will usually survive. If Taranto goes well, either the Syria inf or the Algerian inf will survive.

I really don’t think it’s right to use “will”, as though it’s set in stone that the French Med fleet won’t be saved, or the Italian player will always invade Tunisia. Out of the five Global games I’ve played, Italy has focused everything on Egypt first before whipping around to wipe the floor with the French in North Africa.

That’s what I’ll probably make a thread of, actually: the concept of chaos theory and Axis strategy instead of “this WILL happen” or “they WON’T survive”.

• @UN:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Razor:

@calvinhobbesliker:

I really don’t think it’s right to use “will”, as though it’s set in stone that the French Med fleet won’t be saved, or the Italian player will always invade Tunisia. Out of the five Global games I’ve played, Italy has focused everything on Egypt first before whipping around to wipe the floor with the French in North Africa.

That’s what I’ll probably make a thread of, actually: the concept of chaos theory and Axis strategy instead of “this WILL happen” or “they WON’T survive”.

Well, if Germany doesn’t strafe England, there’s no way that inf won’t survive. The West African inf can’t be attacked either so will survive. Mad DD will survive as nothing can reach it. I never said the Med fleet won’t survive. If Taranto goes smoothly, the French spips will die only if Italy decided to strafe them and then finish the carrier off with Germany

• One game I was able to use an ANZAC fighter and a French destroyer to kill a Japanese battleship on the Indian coast. It was pretty sweet, I lost both the fighter and the destroyer but the one-two punch was able to knock the battleship out.

• @bennyboyg:

One game I was able to use an ANZAC fighter and a French destroyer to kill a Japanese battleship on the Indian coast. It was pretty sweet, I lost both the fighter and the destroyer but the one-two punch was able to knock the battleship out.

That was luck. 1 DD vs a damaged BB will lose

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@bennyboyg:

One game I was able to use an ANZAC fighter and a French destroyer to kill a Japanese battleship on the Indian coast. It was pretty sweet, I lost both the fighter and the destroyer but the one-two punch was able to knock the battleship out.

That was luck. 1 DD vs a damaged BB might lose

Fixed.  :roll:

• @UN:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@bennyboyg:

No, “might” implies they have a small chance of winning. The correct phrase is
    “The DD might win”
    “The BB will likely win”

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@UN:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@bennyboyg:

“The DD might win”
    “The BB will likely win”

I don’t have time for your Anglo-Saxon language nonsense!

• @UN:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@UN:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@bennyboyg:

“The DD might win”
    “The BB will likely win”

Well, if you’re going to speak English, you should try to use the words properly. Otherwise, it would be like if I said: J’ai visité ma famille.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@UN:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@UN:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@bennyboyg:

“The DD might win”
    “The BB will likely win”

Well, if you’re going to speak English, you should try to use the words properly. Otherwise, it would be like if I said: J’ai visité ma famille.

Yes, let’s speak French on a Anglo-Saxon dominated forum.

I find your lack of logic disturbing.

• @UN:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@UN:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@UN:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@bennyboyg:

“The DD might win”
    “The BB will likely win”

Yes, let’s speak French on a Anglo-Saxon dominated forum.

I find your lack of logic disturbing.

I think you missed my point

• I think we all missed the point

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m