Global 1940 Cold War goes Hot Scenario

• Oh, btw it uses the latest version of holy Larry’s rules (Alpha 3.9) for stuff like AA guns and convoy raiding.

I’ve included rules for having communist China as a player country or as a neutral. This scenario is set between the time it was a staunch soviet ally and the time of their big split.

This is a beast and my photoshop skills aren’t up for the task of making cards for all the neutral countries. Hopefully that won’t hurt your enjoyment of the scenario.

I’ll make a second version if you guys find it favors one side too much.

• YOUR HEAR!!! :-o :-o :-o :-o YES!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:! poloplayer15, ARE WAITING HAS FINNALY PAID OFF!

• Whoops I forgot to include the nuclear rules in that file
    Here is the new file with the nuclear rules

http://www.mediafire.com/?3f2o1lym4obaal8

• I set it up to what it looked like and looks fun! has anyone tried playing it?

• I can’t seem to open the files…

• @Bischoffshof:

I can’t seem to open the files…

Hmmmm wierd, I can. :?

• What program did you use? I can’t open RAR files.

• I opened it up in Express ZIP file copression.

• This is looking AWESOME.

I really like the diplomacy fase and all that stuff.

• I know!!! it looks so AWESOME!

• Are East Poland and West Poland combined into one territory? Because everything just says “Poland”

And is Paraguay’s special condition 5 points per turn? Or just a +5 boost so long as the German territories are held?

Looking forward to playing!

• @kdfsjljklgjfg:

Are East Poland and West Poland combined into one territory? Because everything just says “Poland”

Looking forward to playing!

I was under the impression that Western Poland was just called “Poland” on the map. Anyway, all the stuff in Poland is in the Western Part (the territory with the Warsaw victory city).

• I thought so, thanks.

• Now that I look, it’s because I’m currently setting it up on ABattleMap because my friend hasn’t had the time to come over recently, and it is Poland on the actual board, but ABattleMap calls it “West Poland (Poland)”

So that explains the confusion.

• Re: Paraguay its a one time only thing.

• Is this balanced at least a little bit? Why USSR controls Finland?

• @valtteri771:

Is this balanced at least a little bit? Why USSR controls Finland?

Yes.
    There are two scenarios. One is a 1945 start. While the USSR didn’t occupy Helsinki it did have control of Petsamo and and island base (which’s name escapes me). The idea is that, in the event of WW3 in 1945, the USSR would be able to seize Finland as quickly as it did the baltic states or East Poland.

The second scenario which is in a rar file a page or two back, covers the 1960s era. Finland is a neutral country in it.

• @dannyboy2016:

@valtteri771:

Is this balanced at least a little bit? Why USSR controls Finland?

Yes.
    There are two scenarios. One is a 1945 start. While the USSR didn’t occupy Helsinki it did have control of Petsamo and and island base (which’s name escapes me). The idea is that, in the event of WW3 in 1945, the USSR would be able to seize Finland as quickly as it did the baltic states or East Poland.

The second scenario which is in a rar file a page or two back, covers the 1960s era. Finland is a neutral country in it.

Okhay I might try the 1960 scenario

• Started a scenario with my friend, and we’ve taken a break after the 5th Soviet turn. So far, here is what I’ve found about the variant:

Either I found an exploit that you might need to alter the rules to fix, or I missed something in the rules, but basically I built 10 tanks for Colombia, it joined the Soviet bloc, and then with the Main Battle Tanks tech, I was able to blitz into Central US that turn, with East and West US empty because the US player was putting all of his money into diplomacy influencing.

Except if I wanted to, I could have waited a turn, saved my turn 1 cash, and threw like 40 tanks into Colombia, and with the US being only able to put 12 men each in East and West, could capture Washington DC before the war ever really gets too into it, unless the US constantly keeps 30-50 men garrisons in their territories.

Even beyond the area of capturing territory, neutral nations can essentially become military supercomplexes that allow you to rapidly deploy your entire income, if you should so choose, on the other end of the planet.

So either I missed something, or you should probably put in an abortive rule to prevent such a scenario, like a recently acquired neutral is inactive for at least a turn after it’s fully influenced to one side, or a cap on the amount of units you can give to a neutral per turn.

Also, tanks seem a bit overpowered. Maybe their base cost should be raised? A 2-hit land unit for 5 ipc’s (every country has that tech except for PRC at the start) is ridiculous, especially with the incomes that can happen in this variant. The Soviets start off being able to produce 2-hit 4-4-3 units for 5 ipc’s, and is only a step away from giving them 2 dice. Is there really any reason to build any other unit? Sloped armor should be a higher level tech, or the techs should be moved around so that there are less tank boosts.

Having said that, it’s still a very enjoyable variant and it adds a lot of new thinking to the game that makes it fresher, but without making it a complex, entirely new game.

• Thank you for the feedback.

Right now I’m considering the following rules for neutrals.

1.Once a country turns pro allies or pro communist, your side still has to move a unit in during non combat to seize control of the territory.

2.Each faction is limited to buying 1 unit per ipc value of the country per turn. So the Soviets/Warsaw pact could only buy 2 units for Spain and the allies could only buy 2 units for spain (unless its ipc value has been bought up).

I will look into the tank techs further. My initial thoughts for revising the tank techs are as follows

1.Sloped Armor just keeps tanks from being hit during the first cycle of combat (unless the opponent has tank destroyers)

2.Heavy Tanks now cost 10 ipcs.  They may no longer blitz. Automated assembly lines just reduce the cost of tanks by 1 ipc. They could be represented by a different piece if people have one, so they could still build regular tanks.

3.Main Battle tanks- moved to the final tech in that tech tree.

I’m interested in further suggestions.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m