• I just looked it up in the dictionary, and war is defined as “Armed fighting between two nations” so technically we are not at war, though the Marines in Iraq might disagree. CC, soldiers are conditioned to be ready for death, death in combat is expected. getting your head blown off by some rookie that forgot his safety would be humiliating.

• '19 Moderator

I actualy did some checking on this a couple weeks ago. I used my home state as a comparison. The number of murders in Arizona is greater, by a couple hundred, than the number of US soldier deaths in Iraq. I think all that means is that the deaths in Iraq get a lot more media attention.

Oh, I also heard, I think it was last week, that for the first time since 1999 an entire day went by in Chicago without a reported murder. :o
    Duck Jennifer!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Baghdad 2004, for the average, unarmed American civilian, is way safer then Baghdad has ever been since World War II for Americans. It’s safer then New York!

I gaurentee you that more innocent civilians are killed in murders, rapes, muggings, and other violent crimes per month in New York then have been lost in Iraq since 1950.

Let’s face it. Yes, there are a few murders. Yes, there are some imported terrorists. Yes, there will be free elections in January 2005. Yes, our military is assisting the Iraqi’s in restoring peace to their lands and their government. Yes, there are contractors and soldiers who are dieing. Yes, it cost a little money. Yes, Kerry voted against all the safety equipment our soldiers needed and the Pres. didnt have the time to outfit them right. Yes, it means that our soldiers are at more of a risk. Yes, more men died in a single battle in Vietnam then the entire war against Terrorism + the casualties that started the war on terrorism.

If Clinton was doing this, you’d be lauding him with praise. But he isnt. He wouldnt. He should have after the two embassy bombings Osama did, or the USS Coal attack Osama did.

Get over it. This is war. Actually, this is War on Television, this isn’t even war…it’s a police action with force, if anything. On one hand you beg us to help with a dictator over here, then on the other you bitch when we take a corrupt one out over there.

And you wonder why I say “screw the world. Let Americans save Americans.” Sheesh!

• :roll:
    Numbers. How many Americans are in Iraq? How many are in New York? Talk apples to apples numbers. Base it on percentages. Ugh.

• talk situation lizard… war zone vs. metropolitan city in peace

ugh! :roll:

• I think 80 soldiers dieing in a month is irrelevant considering there are probably more killed in training accidents weekly then 80.

However, I do know there are more murders in the major cities of the US, more deaths to car accidents and certainly more deaths in air accidents then have yet occured in any single month in Iraq - and I’m including civilian casualties as well.

I think the better question is would you want your son or daughter to be among the dead? This is the best and supreme criteria to determine if a war is just or not. I’ve yet to hear any of the republican congressmen who support this war so vehemently volunteer their kids to die there. This says it all to me.

If Alexei was in the army, as a volunteer, defending freedom and following orders, I would prefer for him to die in war then in a training accident.

Does that help?

• AgentSmith, i think that is absurd. no parent, except the uberpatriotic, wants their child to die at war. this is no judge of whether the war is just. you can be ardently for the war, and still not want your child to be killed over there. that is just stupid. i expected better from you

• I think there is a difference between the word “want” and “willing”.

AgentSmith’s point might better have been made by
    “would you be willing to have your child die in the absurdity in Iraq?”

i think that this is something that Americans should really think of - are they so in favor of this war that they would be willing to sacrifice their child for its principles?
    If they actually believed in Bush’s BS, then possibly. These people will vote for Bush.

• AgentSmith, i think that is absurd. no parent, except the uberpatriotic, wants their child to die at war. this is no judge of whether the war is just.

NO my point was would you want your child to die in this war. If I had children and knew they had to die in war I could live with WWII, but not Vietnam or Iraq.

you can be ardently for the war, and still not want your child to be killed over there. that is just stupid.

Or maybe the point is that war is stupid. You cannot call yourself just and expect someone else to make a sacrifice you would not. Therefore I would argue war itself is stupid, but especially this one, and most certainly the concept of preemptive war this admin touts as reasonable.

If Alexei was in the army, as a volunteer, defending freedom and following orders, I would prefer for him to die in war then in a training accident.

Being Russian/Ukrainian, I’m not sure, how would you have felt if your son had to die in WWI, or better yet in our Vietnam, or your Afghanistan. While death is always uneniable many even the pacifists can argue for the justice of the civil war or WWII, but what about Vietnam and Iraq? Like I said I could accpet losing my son/daughter in WWII, but not Iraq. Therefore not only can I not expect anybody else to make this sacrifice, but I feel I must prevent it from even happening at all.

• Janus,
    I did not pick the comparison, I just pointed out why it was inacurate.

Jennifer,
    People still die in accidents. I would guess more not less, since war zones are harder to opperate in than free zones. Regardless, it’s ADDITIONAL casualties. Some people think having Americans die there could have (should have) been avoided. For them every American death in Iraq is a tradgedy. We are there now. What I hope Kerry does is rally people around the outcome. Rehashing the cause will get us nowhere. If Bush would have admitted the truth, like Tony Blair did maybe we would already be moving that direction.

• no agentsmith, its an absurd comparison.

a parent doesnt have to decide which war they want their kid to die in. they would pick no war. that doesnt mean the iraqi war was unjust. ask parents from WWII, they may have been proud if their kids dies heroes or even just doing something they believed, but i doubt any were even “willing” for their kids to die in WWII, let alone would “want” them to.

this really is the worst example you’ve ever tried to make.

• Personnaly, i cant think of any greater honor than dying for my country.

• @marine36:

Personnaly, i cant think of any greater honor than dying for my country.

so if i were to offer America $2.00 for the ability to kill one of its citizens, then you would offer yourself up?

sweet!

I’d offer him up for $2.00. wink That WAS a joke!

• “Personnaly, i cant think of any greater honor than dying for my country.”

See I agree with Patton.

“No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.”

In seriousness, dying is best left to the experts. Very old men and women.

• @marine36:

Personnaly, i cant think of any greater honor than dying for my country.

I can. 8)

• Well Liz, of course i would like to take a couple hundred enemis down with me. :) And stuka, what can you think of that is greater than laying your life down for your country?

• @marine36:

Well Liz, of course i would like to take a couple hundred enemis down with me. :) And stuka, what can you think of that is greater than laying your life down for your country?

oh
    “I know i know!!”
    how about 'living for your country"?

• '19 Moderator

Marine, You’ll realize eventualy that Dieing for your country isn’t as cool as it sounds right now.

Try helping to develope the cure for cancer or being the first man on Mars.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m