• So if Japan declares War on UK/ANZAC but not US why can’t it move ships through the Phillipines from the Carolines as part of an attack on UK/Anzac? Japan at this point isn’t at war with the USA.

• Official Q&A

Welcome, picard!

It can.

• My understanding of the Pacific 1940 rules is that when America is attacked (declared war upon by Japan via Japan attacking the UK)  the Income goes from 10 IPCs to 50 IPCs in the Western US.

This means on their collect income phase they recieve the income boost?  or do they get the money immediately to spend .  Makes more sense that they would have to spend money on hand and then wait to collect the new 50 IPC western US boost on their collect income phase.

Also , I understand it as the boost is permament.  but just want the blessing on that one too…  I might have a dispute as I played it wrong last game as a one time bonus (OK it was 5 am in the morning and I was tired tired and was playing it as a boost like A&A Europe 1940)

• Official Q&A

The IPCs are collected in the Collect Income phase, like all other income.  The income increase is permanent in both games.

• @Krieghund:

The IPCs are collected in the Collect Income phase, like all other income.  The income increase is permanent in both games.

THANKS!  I wanted it documented so if I got into any disputes it would be on the forum!

• Spam not dead.

• Related question to settle something that came up tonight, can Austrailia or UK move sea units into a sea zone occupied by Japan without declaring was?

• TripleA '12

@Krieghund:

The only time that you can declare war is at the beginning of your Combat Move phase.  The only exception to this is the US’s automatic declaration of war at the beginning of its turn 3 Collect Income phase.

Krieghund, I bring this matter before your attention please:

I think there may be a discrepancy in the Pacific 1940 rulebook. On page 2 it says “On turn 3, due to the realities of the global situation, the U.S. will switch to a wartime economy. On the U.S. player’s third turn, whether attacked or not, the U.S. will boost its income by 40 IPCs per turn.”

So, it would seem that the U.S. wartime economy automatically kicks in at the beginning of the Collect Income phase of their 3rd turn. But then on page 8 in the revised Political Situation section (taken from the official FAQ/Errata) it says “However, if the United States is still not at war with Japan by the Collect Income phase of its third turn, it may declare war on Japan at that time. Representing a switch from a peacetime to wartime economy, the American player collects an additional 40 IPCs. This wartime economy takes effect during the first U.S. turn in which it is at war with Japan, regardless of the event that triggered the state of war.”

So what is going on here? The phrase ‘it may declare war on Japan’ infers that the U.S. has the option to go to war with Japan or not, but that its wartime economy will automatically kick in either way. How can the U.S. have a wartime economy if she chooses not to declare war? Surely she can only have a wartime economy if she is at war.

Perhaps the wording on page 2 should be amended to “On the U.S. player’s third turn, whether attacked or not, the U.S. will automatically declare war on Japan and boost its income by 40 IPCs per turn.” What do you think of that?

Just so I understand correctly - the U.S. may not declare war on Japan during turns 1 and 2, but automatically declares war on Japan at the beginning of her Collect Income phase of turn 3. Is that right?

If that is correct, then how does it affect/is it affected by the European situation (sorry to bring this up here.) Or, are the Eastern and Western U.S. treated as seperate political spheres in terms of going to war with different Axis powers? In other words, does the U.S. being in a state of war with Japan have any effect on its state of play with Germany and Italy? I would be grateful if you or anyone else could just explain how that works to me.

Thank you very much, Krieg, for all your hard work.

• Official Q&A

@Lozmoid:

Perhaps the wording on page 2 should be amended to “On the U.S. player’s third turn, whether attacked or not, the U.S. will automatically declare war on Japan and boost its income by 40 IPCs per turn.” What do you think of that?

This has been reworked already for the new printing.

@Lozmoid:

Just so I understand correctly - the U.S. may not declare war on Japan during turns 1 and 2, but automatically declares war on Japan at the beginning of her Collect Income phase of turn 3. Is that right?

It’s not automatic, but I can’t think of any reason why you, as the US, wouldn’t declare war as soon as you can.

@Lozmoid:

If that is correct, then how does it affect/is it affected by the European situation (sorry to bring this up here.) Or, are the Eastern and Western U.S. treated as seperate political spheres in terms of going to war with different Axis powers? In other words, does the U.S. being in a state of war with Japan have any effect on its state of play with Germany and Italy? I would be grateful if you or anyone else could just explain how that works to me.

As soon as the US is at war with any Axis power, it is eligible to declare war on any or all other Axis powers on its next turn.

• TripleA '12

That’s lovely. Thanks very much for your answers.  :-) And now for another question:

When exactly during your turn can a Minor Industrial Complex be upgraded into a Major one? I can find no evidence of this, save the one sentence in the 3rd paragraph on page 22 under ‘unit characteristics’ for industrial complexes. So, when does the upgrade take place?

Also, the rulebook makes no mention of the fact that a Minor IC cannot be upgraded until its damage is fully repaired.

Have these issues been raised before? Thank you again.

• Official Q&A

@Lozmoid:

When exactly during your turn can a Minor Industrial Complex be upgraded into a Major one? I can find no evidence of this, save the one sentence in the 3rd paragraph on page 22 under ‘unit characteristics’ for industrial complexes. So, when does the upgrade take place?

It’s pretty strongly implied that this happens during the Mobilization phase.

@Lozmoid:

Also, the rulebook makes no mention of the fact that a Minor IC cannot be upgraded until its damage is fully repaired.

It’s in the FAQ.

• TripleA '12

It’s pretty strongly implied that this happens during the Mobilization phase.

Thank you, Krieg. Okay fair enough, I didn’t grasp that (and I hope this is made clear in the reprint). So - I trust you pay for the upgrade during the Purchase & Repair Units phase, and then the upgrade actually takes place during the Mobilize New Units phase. Is this correct?

If this is correct, then I assume that the newly upgraded IC (now a Major Industrial Complex) cannot begin to mobilize its full quota of 10 units until the owning player’s next turn. Is that right? It can still only build 3 units during the turn in which it was upgraded. Please advise if I am wrong.

It’s in the FAQ.

Thanks again, and I trust this will be corrected in the reprint.

• Official Q&A

@Lozmoid:

So - I trust you pay for the upgrade during the Purchase & Repair Units phase, and then the upgrade actually takes place during the Mobilize New Units phase. Is this correct?

Yes.

@Lozmoid:

If this is correct, then I assume that the newly upgraded IC (now a Major Industrial Complex) cannot begin to mobilize its full quota of 10 units until the owning player’s next turn. Is that right? It can still only build 3 units during the turn in which it was upgraded. Please advise if I am wrong.

You are correct.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m