• '10

Situation: Japan and US are at peace but on current Japan turn I would like to start hostilities by attacking US forces in sz26 from sz6. A US dd is in sz16. Can I bypass the lone DD to reach sz26 since I’m not technically at war until I reach  sz26

• no

• '19

:-)  dd blocking is a pain but oh so very effective.

• I think ships at peace don’t block per errata.

• Ok time for the detailed explanation.

When you declare any move during your combat move phase that will result in a state of war, you are considered at war.  All of your moves must be legal assuming you were at war at the beginning of the turn.

This would have been alot simpler if it was as follows:

At the beginning of your turn you must decide to declare war or not to declare.  If you declare then you may make combat moves as you normal would when at war.  If you don’t declare then you cannot do anything that would start a war.

Would have the same effect, so just treat it like that.

• Mmm… making war movement means you are at war… using Pacific 40 rules Yamamoto could have not done Pearl Harbour attack. This rules prevents surprise attack.

• Yes and no, you just have to setup next door the turn before your sneak attack is all.

• Official Q&A

@Vareel:

This would have been alot simpler if it was as follows:

At the beginning of your turn you must decide to declare war or not to declare.  If you declare then you may make combat moves as you normal would when at war.  If you don’t declare then you cannot do anything that would start a war.

You read my mind!

• @Vareel:

Yes and no, you just have to setup next door the turn before your sneak attack is all.

“Hey sir, what are all those Jap ships doing out there?”
    “Nevermind them, let’s play some golf instead”  :-D

• “Why are you moving those ACs next to my naval base?”
    “ACs? Which ACs? They are luxurious liners with tourists on board”
    “Mmm… and why there are three of them?”
    “Never heard what happened to Titanic? We do not allow our liners going around alone…”

:-D

Just joking and not sure my joke is understandable (it id difficult for me to make a joke in English)!

My point is: in A&A it is impossible to move “secretly” units in order to place them for a surprise strike. Only way of modelling something like a surprise strike is allowing combat move to be made as the powers were still at peace and then… in the combat phase declaring the state of war starting to roll dice. Even so I believe it is really difficult to obtain a surprise.

• @Romulus:

“Why are you moving those ACs next to my naval base?”
    “ACs? Which ACs? They are luxurious liners with tourists on board”
    “Mmm… and why there are three of them?”
    “Never heard what happened to Titanic? We do not allow our liners going around alone…”

Just joking and not sure my joke is understandable (it id difficult for me to make a joke in English)!

My point is: in A&A it is impossible to move “secretly” units in order to place them for a surprise strike. Only way of modelling something like a surprise strike is allowing combat move to be made as the powers were still at peace and then… in the combat phase declaring the state of war starting to roll dice. Even so I believe it is really difficult to obtain a surprise.

Yeah, it is impossible to make surprise attacks the only surprise Japan can bring is when it will attack.

I’ve read once about a variation on Classic that allowed for tactical surprises: you’d need 2 boardgames, each for 1 player and a 3rd player acting as referee. You’d only know the location of enemy units were adjacent to yours or if you sent fighters on recon missions to SZs/territories. The moves of both players were simultaneous: you’d make your combat moves together then the referee would inform each player of the number of enemies for each battle.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m