• What was the best World War II movie or movies you have ever saw?

European theater: PATTON

Pacific theater: MIDWAY

Fictional: WHERE EAGLES DARE

These are my favs…although there are lots to choose from…

• I liked the battle scenes in Saving Private Ryan.

• European Theater- A Bridge too Far

Pacific Theater- The Thin Red Line

• Tora Tora Tora and Either Longest Day or any episode of Combat!

• Stalingrad for Europe,
    and I second IL’s choice Tora Tora Tora, its how all war movies should be made.

• A Bridge To Far

• The Bridge, Stalingrad ,Das Boot and   Sharks and little fishs   but I like the novel way better…Band of Brothers is good too (even its not a regular movie and div. in episodes…

• Although with many historical flaws, I love Enemy at the Gates. I have seen it more then 10 times, I think.

• My 2 cents; or my favorite 12:

Bio pics: Patton and No Man is an Island

Coast watchers: Father Goose

Carrier warfare:  Midway

Asia: The Bridge Over the River Kwai

Truth in story: Tora Tora Tora and Longest Day

Escapes: The Great Escape and Von Ryans Express

Caper: Kelly’s Heroes

All around fun: Where Eagles Dare and (go figure my 12th) Dirty Dozen

• If you are looking for a good older war flick, All Quiet on the Western Front is good. It’s World War One.

• I forgot about the Bridge over the River Kwai…awesome film…

and the Dirty Dozen…Lee Marvin was born for that role

• Saving private Ryan for the best all time WW2 movie.

The Cruel Sea is one of the most underrated and best of the “unknown” WW2 movies, imo.

Edit: even if the title says WW2 movies, I will also mention the Battle of Algiers, not a WW2 movie, but obviously one of the best war movies of all times, and definitely the most underrated war movie since WW2.

• Oh yeah Das Boot is my favorite sub movie hands down.

• Have any of you watched Land That Time Forgot? It’s one of the best cheezy movies to come from the 70’s.

Spoiler:
    A German U-Boat sinks a British merchant ship in WW1 and takes on some survivers. The U-Boats then travels under the the northern ice sheets and ends up in a land full of dinosaurs and wild cave people.

• How about The Incredible Mr. Limpet.

• The first ten that come to mind…not necessarily the top ten if I think about it very long, but close to it.  In no particular order…
    Patton
    The Longest Day
    Tora Tora Tora
    The Enemy Below
    Mr. Roberts
    Sahara
    In Which We Serve
    We Dive at Dawn
    The Great Escape
    Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison

…and for television, Combat and McHale’s Navy…Rat Patrol and Hogan’s Heroes in second places for drama and comedy.

edit…oh, yeah, Battleground and They Were Expendable probably round out a top dozen for me.

• 2007 AAR League

@ABWorsham:

Have any of you watched Land That Time Forgot? It’s one of the best cheezy movies to come from the 70’s.

Spoiler:
    A German U-Boat sinks a British merchant ship in WW1 and takes on some survivers. The U-Boats then travels under the the northern ice sheets and ends up in a land full of dinosaurs and wild cave people.

oh wow!  i’ve seen it.  can’t believe somebody else has too.  its crazy how they go past the stage by stage development of humans.

• Patton
    Midway
    A Bridge Too Far
    The Longest Day
    Tora, Tora, Tora

fun ones: Father Goose, Operation Petticoat

worst one I have seen: Pearl Harbor- more like lame love story with Pearl Harbor back drop.

I liked the book for Flags of our Fathers but didn’t care much for the movie.

• dont forget Casablanca…that of course is considered a WWII film…good old Humphrey Bogart…here’s lookin at u kid…

• Pacific: Letters from Iwo Jima - fantastic film and being in Japanese makes all the better. This movie was way better than Flags of our Fathers. And there is a lack of really good authentic Pacific war movies. Lots of them just not always that good.

Europe: Saving Private Ryan - an epic

Honorable mention;

Cross of Iron, Patton, The Great Raid, Tora Tora Tora, Enemy at the Gates.

Non WW2 I always like to add…Zulu.  :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m