• Played a third game yesterday, this time as Japan, and I crushed my opponent just as he crushed me, twice.  I even attacked him all out on turn two.

I have played AA for 12+ years and I don’t see how anybody thinks this game as balanced?  I know many have commented on here that they feel it is unbalanced, and I am now beginning to agree.  Its starting to get less fun to play as either side due to the superiority of Japan.  Has anybody cracked the code yet??
    If you don’t agree with me and you have actually won a game as the allies against a decent opponent, I am all ears to hear your strategy(ies).

• We had an Allied win a few days ago.

I posted about it in another thread but I dont remember which one now. :/

But the long and short was that Japan was too conservative early on, tried to make up it for later in the game with a few gambles, and was defeated somewhat piecemeal as a result.

It’s very hard to discuss individual strategies as the Allies as so much depends on when Japan attacks. The game is RADICALLY different between J1 and J3 attacks.

I still feel that a J3 Japanese attack is the most effective, but that may change if the Brits spend all of their money on ground forces. J3 might be too late since it allows the Brits to collect 37 IPCs one turn and if it all go into the ground forces, Japan might run out of steam before taking India/Burma and finishing China completely.

So, FWIW, as the Allies I advocate Britain spending all of her money on ground troops while trying to occupy as much of the DEI as Japan allows. The US needs to concentrate down near Australia (if Japan allows) or else be prepared to move to the Solomons to start the war from there. If that is the case, the Aussies can support the US by building a naval base wherever the US needs for the mobility.

We learned some mistakes not to make with Japan in the last game and I think Japan will be very tough indeed if she presses her early advantage almost exclusively against the Brits and Chinese.

• @spectre_04:

Played a third game yesterday, this time as Japan, and I crushed my opponent just as he crushed me, twice.  I even attacked him all out on turn two.

I have played AA for 12+ years and I don’t see how anybody thinks this game as balanced?  I know many have commented on here that they feel it is unbalanced, and I am now beginning to agree.  Its starting to get less fun to play as either side due to the superiority of Japan.  Has anybody cracked the code yet??
    If you don’t agree with me and you have actually won a game as the allies against a decent opponent, I am all ears to hear your strategy(ies).

I will reserve judgement until more games are played by post here where one can review the strats used.  However, I am looking for a few Jap players to smash me if your up for a pbf game.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I’ve won 3 times as the allies, each game against different opponents, no J1 attacks though

• I’ve played two games so far, and won once as Japan and once as the Allies with 2 other people (I had Britain and China).

• The problem I think that people are running into is that you HAVE to react to what the Japanese do with their turns, since they move BEFORE you do. It seems paramount for the allies to not follow a “formula,” like many of the previous games where once the code was cracked it all came down to a strict set of opening moves that were always used to get maximum efficiency for a win. Now the game has many different angles for you to take, you have to look and think about what your opponent is doing to be able to stop the Japs, and then push them back.

• Im have played 4 games as the allies, against two different opponents. I have won three times (although one of those games was won with ridiculous lucky dice rolls) and the fourth time was a draw. Due to time we had to stop and everything was still open, no clear winner.

I think the allies must be very patient. The US fleet must play a game of threats and small gains. I mean always be in a position from where you can threaten several targets. So Japan must increase defenses all potential US targets. And as the US you should always get all the small island that you can. This severely limits Japanese flexibility.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m