• We had our first ‘real’ win as the Allies tonight. And by ‘real’ I dont mean we played it out to the bitter end (a waste of time IMO) but it was the first time Japan lost without either some pretty horrible mistakes or really bad luck on the part of the Japanese player.

In brief, it was a combination of Brit boots on the ground with some additional naval assets, US commitment to Australia and into the DEI, and Aussie threat from airpower based in Australia coupled with a handful of Subs and DDs.

I do believe that the Japanese play was not optimal, but it was certainly not sloppy. Japan poured a lot of resources into the ground war to match the Brit commitment but he did take down China as quickly as we’ve seen in some of our games. Some of that was the need to keep pressure on the Brits was some of it was simply being too conservative and avoiding risks. Peronally I think the Japanese player wants to push hard on the mainland before the US can intervene and divide Japan’s attention.

One thing we experimented with for the US was not going Carrier-heavy but instead concentrating on SSs, DDs, and yes, a number of CAs. The latter were more to see if we could make them work and they performed adequately as a threat when paired with a TR or two loaded with Inf/Art. The threat of the 2 shelling attacks caused to Japan to garrison a little heavier and be a little more cagey about what he left exposed. In combat, the surface fleet performed well. In terms of actual numbers, a loaded CV cost 36 or 37 (Depending on loadout - assume 36 for people who hate TacAir ;) ). For just 4 IPCs more you can get 2 SS, 2 DD, and 1 CA. On the attack that is 6 strength with 4 hits for the CV but 11 strenght and 5 for the standard ships. On defense, the CV comes off a bit better with 10 points and 4 hits vs 9 and 5 hits. The CV offers more flexibility if you have LBA around and it allows for strikes at range 3 if you arent at a naval base. But the standard surface forces have a lot of versatility in terms of dispersal and convoy attacks. I’d say a combo of both builds would be ideal.

At any rate the Japanese eventually wiped out the Chinese but were stalled trying to get into the Brit holdings. By the end of the game they still had not completely been able to subdue all of the DEI and the IJN had dwindled down to a handful of ships. Meanwhile the US was pumping out full fleets each turn and the Anzacs were launching forays into the DEI as well as opportunities arose.

All in all it was the first time that Japan 1) looked somewhat vulnerable and 2) did not seem to have enough assets to adequately complete all the necessary tasks. Dont get me wrong, it was still a harder win for the Allies than it had been previously for any of the Japanese wins, but it was still a pretty decisive win for the Allies.

• We just had our first game today and I won as Allies. I had the advantage of lurking on the forums and knowing a few bits of strategy but I shared it at the beginning.

J decided to go take out China and India first and only declared war on turn 4. Meanwhile the Brits took DEI, the Allies moved DDs to restrict initial J invasions to Phillipines, Borneo and Malaysia.
    Then J decided to vacate the Carolines on turn 4 and the US fleet moved in to take them. J counterattacked but took too much hits from the US fleet and the ANZAC fighters and left its DEI invasion fleet opened to US bombers. A few other US attacks on Japan SZ reduced its fleet even more but by then India was taking too long to fall and the US was putting the same amount of IPCs into navy as J’s entire income. We decided to end the game afterwards.
    I bought a mix of DDs, Subs, ACs and planes/both bombers. Subs are priceless to harass J and ANZAC should get 1 every turn if possible. It forces J to disperse its fleet to deal with them.

• IMO, and it looks like the thread would support this, The allies victory is a difficult and LONG road.  IF the allies are going to win, it will certainly take a few turns whereas the Japanese can force their opponent to concede fairly soon, even by turn 6-7 if they are crafty and lucky.

• As the Allies,  you need to be very patient. You need to pick away at the DEI with subs and Transports to land a few troops whenever pssible.  If the Japanese player ends up owning all of the DEI when they eventually take India, the allies are done.  You cannot give Japan the DEI at all costs.

As the US player, I usually send my first two fleets south towards the DEI and then send subs with bombers towards Japan to try and distract him from my southern fleet. Keep him having to split his navy, have him a little worried about Japan itself, this will also relieve some pressure off of Australia.  ANZAC should build subs and hit the DEI as well whenever possible.

My buddy and I are on our fourth game now and we both feel that the game is very well balanced.  First two went to Japan but Allies won the 3rd and look to have a slight edge right now in our current game.  It always comes down to Australia and I learned as the allies that you have to have most of DEI by the time Japan takes INDIA.  His income will be down to 55 while the US and ANZAC combined will equal close to 80. Unless he can take and hold Western Australia, I feel the Allies should be able to wear him down in 3 or 4 turns. I have a fleet heading to Japan next turn.

Great game that can go either way, depends on who makes more mistakes in my opinion.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m