• I got the game yesterday and even after reading the rule book I am unsure how airplanes work.
    Which units can they attack and can the attacked units defend (without an AA gun).
    1. Can fighters, tactical & strategic bombers attack land units?

For example:
    If britain have 1 tank in one terrirory can Japan send a fighter and a tactical bomber to attack it?

• When the rules say that “You can never use an industrial complexes that you captured or purchased this turn” does that apply to upgrades from minor to major ICs?  Specifically, on the turn you upgrade an IC can you also build there based on the three capacity of the minor IC being upgraded or does the act of upgrading render that territory “neutered” for creating any new units that turn?  Thanks!

• Sorry, nevermind…just saw this in the Errata:

Q.  If I upgrade a minor industrial complex to a major one, how many units can it mobilize on the same turn that it’s upgraded?
    A.  Three.  Just as you can’t mobilize units from a new industrial complex, you can’t use the increased mobilization capacity from the upgrade until your next turn.

• Official Q&A

@redcloud:

I got the game yesterday and even after reading the rule book I am unsure how airplanes work.
    Which units can they attack and can the attacked units defend (without an AA gun).
    1. Can fighters, tactical & strategic bombers attack land units?

For example:
    If britain have 1 tank in one terrirory can Japan send a fighter and a tactical bomber to attack it?

Air units can hit, and be hit by, any other units, with one exception.  Subs may never hit air units, and air units may hit subs only if there is a destroyer friendly to the air units in the battle.

• Just to be sure….

I guess it’s possible for the USA to built a minor IC in FIC, if recaptured from the Japs and controlled by them.

Correct?

• @Krieghund:

@Stoney229:

Can a sub fire on lone transport if the 2 powers are not at war?  if it can, is it a declaration of war?  If so, would this still be true of a USA sub and Jap transport?  Although the USA cannot attack until it is at war, it seems in this situation it is more of a defensive “attack” than an offensive one.

A power other than the US would be able to do this under any circumstances.  The US would not be able to do it, however a combat movement by Japan that resulted in a state war with the US would free the US to respond in this manner.

I hope this does not mean on J1 the Japanese sub can wipe out the lone transport at Hawaii, without causing war with the USA?

• The last sentence, was my question…not a quote.

• How does chinese recruitment work? I thought I read somewhere that they can purchase infantry without
    owning an industrial complex.

• China purchases units by using IPCs it collects.  It can only purchase infantry, unless the Burma road is open then it can also purchase artillery.  It can then place these units in any of the territories controlled by China, including ones that China captured in the current turn.

• @KH:

The last sentence, was my question…not a quote.

I believe any combat action against another power is considered an act of war.

• Official Q&A

@KH:

Just to be sure….

I guess it’s possible for the USA to built a minor IC in FIC, if recaptured from the Japs and controlled by them.

Correct?

Yes.

@HannibalSW:

@KH:

@Krieghund:

@Stoney229:

Can a sub fire on lone transport if the 2 powers are not at war?  if it can, is it a declaration of war?  If so, would this still be true of a USA sub and Jap transport?  Although the USA cannot attack until it is at war, it seems in this situation it is more of a defensive “attack” than an offensive one.

A power other than the US would be able to do this under any circumstances.  The US would not be able to do it, however a combat movement by Japan that resulted in a state war with the US would free the US to respond in this manner.

I hope this does not mean on J1 the Japanese sub can wipe out the lone transport at Hawaii, without causing war with the USA?

I believe any combat action against another power is considered an act of war.

KH Stuka is correct.

• Hi all, first post.
    I was a little confused with the way subs work.
    Suppose I am the US player, and i have 2 subs in SZ 19.
    The Jap player, on his turn, moves a battleship and a cruiser into the seazone, and chooses to conduct combat. (he may do this, not?)
    A. Can I submerge my subs rather than firing, thus never conducting combat?
    B. If I do this, are my subs still elgible to conduct convoy raids on the Jap’s collect income phase? 
    Thanks in advance for any help.

• Official Q&A

The answer to all three questions is yes.

• So the subs don’t need to survive a round of combat before submerging?

• Evidently not. The rule book states that the subs may submerge when they would normally fire, and they would fire in the opening round if there were no destroyers present.

Looks like destroyers are going to be a must-have.

EDIT: The rule book refers to the subs opening attack as a Suprise Strike, not an opening round. That is back from the days of revised, I believe.

• How does the UK start with 16 IPC with only 15 showing on the game map?
    India          3
    Burma        1
    Shan State 1
    Malaya      3
    Kwangtung  3
    Borneo        4

Do you add in the Canadian Territory?

• Yes, British Columbia counts for the UK….

• Played first game yesterday.

Had a question with the political rules- just wanna make sure I’m reading this right…

For the US to go to war it either has to wait on Japan to attack them OR wait until after the third turn correct?  It is not allowed to just attack Japan when it feels like it as the UK/ANZAC can correct???

Thanks in advance Kreighund,

:-)

• Official Q&A

Right, except if Japan invades Dutch territory or attacks the UK/ANZAC without being attacked by them first, the US also goes to war.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m