• What happens to the planes on a loaded carrier when a Kamikaze is declared against the carrier?

Do carriers disrupt convoys even though they have no attack value?

When scrambled aircraft defend a sea zone, then the island they scrambled from was taken, they have the option to retreat, but in the rulebook it only states they can retreat “one space” to a friendly territory or carrier. Is this 1 movement space for the unit or 1 territory movement? I ask this because in the ocean 1 space only gets you to another ocean, unless Japan gets taken and the fighters land in like, Korea. Here’s an example: 2 Fighters on Phillipines scramble to defend sea battle, they cannot then fight in the battle for the island itself, so they I guess retreat after Japan claims the sea zone, then Japan attacks the island and claims it. Now these 2 fighters need to retreat 1 space, but the 1 space only gets them to another sea zone, not an island (that would be two). So do they die? Is that what the ‘one space’ is? Or is it they move to the next closest zone, say sz 44 and land on friendly Celebes?

Thanks!!

P.S. (From Errata) “ANZAC: Remove the minor industrial complex from New Zealand, and change the major industrial complex in New South Wales to a minor industrial complex.”

This sucks because its nice to be able to place ANZAC ships on a territory that has a NAVAL BASE TOO, like everyone else in the game. No naval or air base in New South Whales, lame sauce.

• Official Q&A

@bigopfer:

What happens to the planes on a loaded carrier when a Kamikaze is declared against the carrier?

Nothing, unless the carrier is hit.  If the carrier is damaged, the planes will be trapped on board.  If the carrier is sunk, the planes will go down with it.

However, bear in mind that kamikaze attacks only occur in response to a combat movement.  Under these circumstances, the planes on carriers will normally be in the air.  The only time that they will not is if they are guest fighters belonging to another allied power.

@bigopfer:

Do carriers disrupt convoys even though they have no attack value?

Yes.

@bigopfer:

When scrambled aircraft defend a sea zone, then the island they scrambled from was taken, they have the option to retreat, but in the rulebook it only states they can retreat “one space” to a friendly territory or carrier. Is this 1 movement space for the unit or 1 territory movement? I ask this because in the ocean 1 space only gets you to another ocean, unless Japan gets taken and the fighters land in like, Korea. Here’s an example: 2 Fighters on Phillipines scramble to defend sea battle, they cannot then fight in the battle for the island itself, so they I guess retreat after Japan claims the sea zone, then Japan attacks the island and claims it. Now these 2 fighters need to retreat 1 space, but the 1 space only gets them to another sea zone, not an island (that would be two). So do they die? Is that what the ‘one space’ is? Or is it they move to the next closest zone, say sz 44 and land on friendly Celebes?

In your example, the fighters would only be able to make it to the next sea zone.  If there are no friendly carriers there to land on, they will be lost.

• Thanks for the clarification and the new rules errata! I’m omw to play another game tonight and this time I’m Japan.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m