• okay it looks to me that most people just give up lenigrad. this seems silly to me. The Eastern front is basically a zero sum game between Russia and Germany. okay because Archangel is a NO plus it blocks any blitzing through the Urals even if you gave up leningrad you will HAVE to hold archangel. ( or at the very least trade back and forth). Leningrad’s fall would put a German factory right on the front line. It isolates the Baltic peninsula from reinforcement and allows the allies to make a nice landing there. So why not try to hold lenningrad at all costs and if it becomes untenable just either attack a weak point or try to hook back up with moscow via a belrussian retreat/attack or just fall back to archangel. Leningrad just seems too important to me to let go of it.

• oh yeah the math.  +5 for German NO, +2 for leningrad in German hands, +2 for out of Russian hands. that is a +9 diffirence in Germany’s favor. not to mention the factory. so you can spend 9 ipcs per turn there and still come out economically better than just retreating.

• what do you du turn 2 when 8 inf, 2art, 6 arm + air can reach KAR if GErmany sets it up?

you can have there 9 inf, art, 3 arm. so germany gets a superior attack. if you land allied planes, all the better for Germany cuz Russia gets less money.

• @atarihuana:

what do you du turn 2 when 8 inf, 2art, 6 arm + air can reach KAR if GErmany sets it up?

you can have there 9 inf, art, 3 arm. so germany gets a superior attack. if you land allied planes, all the better for Germany cuz Russia gets less money.

From what I can remember, I haven’t been forced as the SU to effectivly give up Leningrad on SU2. Sometimes I manage to take out part of the German armor (slowing their advance and giving me a third turn), sometimes I’ve been able to build up a pretty huge stack in Archangel while I retreated from Karelia (which denies Germany to effectivly take and hold Leningrad, thus giving them the bonus once).
    In another case, you might build a Russian fighter on SU2 (and place it in Karelia!) to boost your defense. If you don’t feel this will do the trick, consider sending in the UK fighter (hoping there is still at least one in reach). Even if sending in this fighter costs you your NO once or twice, it will still be worth it as long as you keep Karelia.

Needless to say I agree fully on the importance of Leningrad: keeping it as the SU for as long as possible is definitly worth it.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

St. Petersburg is a good attack for Germany, but often times, Russia finds itself in a position where it cannot possibly hold Karelia but can retreat and liberate it.

Gotta look at the cost of the units you will lose and the probably amount of damage you can inflict on Germany to determine if it is worth defending a territory or not.  Remember, Germany 40-55 IPC income, Russia 30-35 IPC income.  You cannot make too many negative trades and keep up against Germany!

I’ll often pull out of Kar or deadzone it early if Germany can threaten it.  Usually it is because Germany controls Epl and can threaten multiple Russian territories, including Moscow with armor if Italy clears the path.  Also, if Ger/Ita go south through Ukr, then any inf up in Kar are waaaay out of position.

I may lose or trade Kar somewhere between rds 2-4 but by rd 5 I should have it back with UK help.

Also if you pull out you can take the AA gun and then SBR it.  It may not be much but you should be able to do 3-4 damage, which cuts into the NO Ger gets for taking it.

• alot depends on what they do t1 with germany

often you can hit bst  turn 1

i think it’s worth landing planes to hold it if you can guarantee holding it rest of game pretty much.

• In our groups, we seldom dare attacking Leningrad. I have not seen that move in many many years. We have simply lost to many panzerkampfwagen to UK/USA naval counter attacks…

• when it comes to playing Russia you have to know when its time to cut your losses and regroup, because of this I have no problem trading Leningrad with the Germans because in the end its just buying me time until the cavalry ( UK/ US) arrives and lands in Norway.

Note: never ever ever ever trade the Caucasus

• Ive always played been Rusia, next time im planning on been Germany. i was thinking that it would be a better strategy agaisnt Rusia to go all out for the Cucasus.

• @gebs99:

Ive always played been Rusia, next time im planning on been Germany. i was thinking that it would be a better strategy agaisnt Rusia to go all out for the Cucasus.

IMHO if you have to advance evenly through Russian or else your forward units get cut off and encircled

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m