• @TG:

Hint:

Since it’s unfair that I covered part of the board, as I was making sure none of you would see the box, the section in red (on the actual board) represents the boot of Italy.  Which should lead you guys to believe the game is something… Roman.   :wink: :wink:

PS: It’s also a personal favorite of Mr. Toad’s.

Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage!

• @LT04:

@Jermofoot:

This tells me I just need to find a Canadian girlfriend.

I don’t know any Rome based board games, but it looks like Carthage is in there, so I’m gonna guess something to do with Hannibal.

If you decide to head north to find your self a woman you can stop here just 19 miles south of the border.  You don’t want to spend the night in a forign country.

Well, I spent the night in Canada two separate times while canoeing the Boundary Waters.  Not too bad, but I burn with rage and shake my tiny fists at the country for having the longest portage I recall.

And I was probably in your neck of the woods some years back backpacking the Adirondacks.

But if I do go woman shopping through our cold neighbors of the north, I will definitely stop by and say hey.  :-D

• Uberlager, you cracked it – what I thought was the most difficult question in Mr. Toad’s Gauntlet.

The answer is Hannibal: Rome Vs Carthage
    I suggest you all check this game out.  Not only was the game designed by Avalon Hill (when the name meant something), but the remake by Valley Forge Games establishes Hannibal as one of the best looking games on the market.  The random Fate deck and innovative combat system makes Hannibal less predictable than Axis and Allies.  Lets face it, from all the games in Big Board Con Essen, Miss Canada chose this one.  That says something.

**This concludes the first round of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride       **

The True Believer was U-505 with 5 questions answered.  He was trailed closely by LT04 and balungaloaf with 4 scores apiece.

U-505, you now have the honor of asking three trivia questions of your own.  You may post them whenever you’re ready.

You mean that Jen isn’t the only female in the human race to play A&A?

A woman’s brain is much easier to rewire than a man’s.  If little girls can cross over to male-dominated activities like video games, comic books, punk rock, and martial arts, there’s no reason why A&A can’t ferment in woman the desire to become generals and dictators.  Anyways, Amber (TM Moses VII) was a part of the community long before Commander Jennifer.  In fact, she participated in the first Play-Online Axis and Allies Game held on A&A.org.

• @Jermofoot:

Well, I spent the night in Canada two separate times while canoeing the Boundary Waters.  Not too bad, but I burn with rage and shake my tiny fists at the country for having the longest portage I recall.

And I was probably in your neck of the woods some years back backpacking the Adirondacks.

But if I do go woman shopping through our cold neighbors of the north, I will definitely stop by and say hey.  :-D

Well, I will hold you to it.  :-)

@TG:

Uberlager, you cracked it – what I thought was the most difficult question in Mr. Toad’s Gauntlet.

The answer is Hannibal: Rome Vs Carthage
    I suggest you all check this game out.  Not only was the game designed by Avalon Hill (when the name meant something), but the remake by Valley Forge Games establishes Hannibal as one of the best looking games on the market.  The random Fate deck and innovative combat system makes Hannibal less predictable than Axis and Allies.  Lets face it, from all the games in Big Board Con Essen, Miss Canada chose this one.  That says something.

**This concludes the first round of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride       **

The True Believer was U-505 with 5 questions answered.  He was trailed closely by LT04 and balungaloaf with 4 scores apiece.

U-505, you now have the honor of asking three trivia questions of your own.  You may post them whenever you’re ready.

You mean that Jen isn’t the only female in the human race to play A&A?

A woman’s brain is much easier to rewire than a man’s.  If little girls can cross over to male-dominated activities like video games, comic books, punk rock, and martial arts, there’s no reason why A&A can’t ferment in woman the desire to become generals and dictators.  Anyways, Amber (TM Moses VII) was a part of the community long before Commander Jennifer.  In fact, she participated in the first Play-Online Axis and Allies Game held on A&A.org.

Yea, I would have to agree that women are better “wired” for picking up new skill sets.  When I was in the Army women that never fired a rifle did much better then a man who never fired a rifle.  That’s not prejudice that just simply what I experienced as an NCO.

Well Mr. Toad (aka TG Moses VI) + 1 for hosting a fun time.  Thank you for having me.

U-505 I look forward to reading your first question.

LT

• @TG:

Uberlager, you cracked it – what I thought was the most difficult question in Mr. Toad’s Gauntlet.

So where’s my karma? :wink:

• 2007 AAR League

Give me a bit of time to get my questions in order. Don’t want to make them too hard or too easy, either.

• Give me a bit of time to get my questions in order. Don’t want to make them too hard or too easy, either.

Okay.  While U-505 is getting set up, here is a question that was left on the cutting room floor.

Bonus Round - Political Science

Before the passage of the 20th Amendment in 1951, United States Presidents were allow to run for an unlimited number of terms in office.  The only president to be elected more than twice was Franklin D. Roosevelt.  How many terms was FDR elected to office?

Uberlager,
    Here you go +1.   :-D

LT

• @Uberlager:

Ah, crap I think your right.

• @TG:

How many terms was FDR elected to office?

Is trick?  Say office not President or Office of President?

• If trick he elected 8 times.  2 to New York Senate, 2 to New York Governor. 4 to President of the United States.  For bonus, he not finish any of his offices.  He resign from Senate before end of term, he win President and resign from Governor.  He die in office before finish fourth term as President.

• Good job all.  The correct answer is Four Terms

FDR was first elected to the office of presidency in 1932, then reelected again in 1936, 1940, and 1944.  President Roosevelt would serve less than a year in his fourth term before succumbing to a cerebral hemorrhage in April 12th, 1945 – less than a month from VE Day.

If trick he elected 8 times.  2 to New York Senate, 2 to New York Governor. 4 to President of the United States.  For bonus, he not finish any of his offices.  He resign from Senate before end of term, he win President and resign from Governor.  He die in office before finish fourth term as President.

The goal is not to see how well you can look up information online. ;) 
    Rather it’s a test to see how good you are at retaining information.

• Is not to look up online.  Is that the question you ask was trick.

He elected to office eight times.

You not post right question, you not get answer you want.

• 2007 AAR League

OK. I believe that I am ready with the first 2 questions, at least. The third question will be determind by whether the first 2 are easy or hard for you guys. I have also changed the format slightly in that I will be asking 2 questions, 1 that is easier and 1 that is harder.

Question 1: Ox-headed.

Who was Bucephalus?

Bonus question: How was he honored in death?

• I had to look it up.  Had the wrong culture (albeit, a neighbor) and wrong “tale.”

• No Clue.  Seems like Mesopotamian mythology?

• Hmmm… the name sounds familiar… but for some reason I’m thinking it’s the name of a horse…

The name looks Greek to me.  It just seems to flow off the tounge the same way the words Apocalypse and Parthenon would.

I’m going to go with a Greek horse.  I’m not sure who his / her owner was.

No idea about the bonus question.

LT

• 2007 AAR League

@TG:

No Clue.  Seems like Mesopotamian mythology?

You’re in the neighborhood and the relevant kingdom does begin with an M.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m