• '19 Moderator

I’m thinking this would be either a 80 vs 120 15 piece or 150 vs 200 20 piece(to get some big guns out)  Germans vs Brit/US/Can/Aus/French/Pol etc.  Maybe give the Allies a few Higgins for free…

• I’m curious about the compass rose.  Wouldn’t most of the attacks been in a southerly direction?

I like the map.  I like the open ground sited for killing fields and a sea side would have lots more roads.  I think there is too much space taken up by water, that should be only 1-2 hexes.  That way you concentrate on the actual ground battle.

Another option is to put the beach along the long edge and and have limited beachhead targets.

Excellent.

• '19 Moderator

The idea with the 4 hex water was that the germans get some pot shots at the landing craft if they set  defences on the bluffs.

The compas is mostly just for reference on the map, it could probably be turned in several directions depending on the beach or section of beach it represents.  This is just a genaric beach.

• The way I figure the beach landings in this game is that you concentrate on the moment the boat touches shore.  While you may get effective fire on the Higgens, the troops in  the Higgens can obviously not fight back.  They wouldn’t need to because the ship to shore bombardment would be in place for them to soften up the defences.  Therefore, I assume that both defensive fire and ship fire has been succesful to some degree and that what is in play is what we have the moment the boats touch the beach.

• '19 Moderator

I see what your saying, but I think I would rather give the allied extra points and then force them to deal with the randomness of what makes it to the beach.  I would also like to figure out a way to fog what is in the boat from the German player.

I am reducing the sea area by 1 but I am replacin git with a deployment zone, for Airborne, Hero, and other units that haven’t entered yet.

Dday.JPG

• '19 Moderator

No one else has an oppinion?

• So if you want to sink boats, factor in a roll for the 16" guns that are tearing the coastal defences apart as well. Then both have some randomness.  I can say from experience that going in on the attack and finding yourself down 1/3 of your force (pilot error, wrong LZ) forces you to think on the fly.

Just label the boats with a number or code and keep those units out of sight until the ramps drop.

If you go back in the annals of this site DJensen had a pretty good Dieppe scenario that I played several variations of.  It had landing craft figured in but I don’t remember how.

• Looks good, lets test it out.

Germans should get some obsticles for free, 4 free pill boxes and 3 sandbaged MG42.

I also think allied infantry should be allowed an attack to destoy obsticles.  On thier movement phase you can declare an infantry to destroy an obsticle in an ajacent hex (basically the infantry is placing the explosive).  On the attack phase the obsticle is destroyed on a roll of 4 or higher.

Only think the only thing missing is the German artilary firing on the beach.  How do you recreate that?

How about a similtanuous game on a seperate map, round for round.  With US para having to take out some german artilary in a hedgerow.  Until they destoy the artilary, the artilary fires on all beach units.  I’m not sure how to use the artilary.  I’m thinking on the d-day map, at the beginning of the movement phase, roll three dice.  On three sucesses the unit gets a face up disrupted counter.  Rolling three sixes and the unit is immediatly destroyed.  Again this is just an artilary attack for any units on the beach.

• '19 Moderator

I’d say place a 88 or 2 on the map edge or in the city and give them indirect fire ability.

@Audacity:

So if you want to sink boats, factor in a roll for the 16" guns that are tearing the coastal defences apart as well. Then both have some randomness.

Good Idea, I think that could work with the distroying obsticles as well.

Just label the boats with a number or code and keep those units out of sight until the ramps drop.

It’s easy to do at home but I need to figure it out for the forum games, I guess you could label them and post text file to be opened when the boat sinks or lands…

Also the objective needs to be determined, I supose it should be the city, that way the germans would have to defend it from Airborne, as well trying to hold on the beach…

• '19 Moderator

Mot can this be added as a map?

• Yeah sure.  I can put a new section after the scenarios section to house custom maps.

I can see some cut-n-paste lines in the water you might want to blend in a bit…

As an aside, there are offcial DDay scenarios too with the beach maps they released, no?

• @Half-Track:

Looks good, lets test it out.

Germans should get some obsticles for free, 4 free pill boxes and 3 sandbaged MG42.

I also think allied infantry should be allowed an attack to destoy obsticles.  On thier movement phase you can declare an infantry to destroy an obsticle in an ajacent hex (basically the infantry is placing the explosive).  On the attack phase the obsticle is destroyed on a roll of 4 or higher.

Only think the only thing missing is the German artilary firing on the beach.  How do you recreate that?

How about a similtanuous game on a seperate map, round for round.  With US para having to take out some german artilary in a hedgerow.  Until they destoy the artilary, the artilary fires on all beach units.  I’m not sure how to use the artilary.  I’m thinking on the d-day map, at the beginning of the movement phase, roll three dice.  On three sucesses the unit gets a face up disrupted counter.  Rolling three sixes and the unit is immediatly destroyed.  Again this is just an artilary attack for any units on the beach.

DZ, I’ve never seen your comments about this but I have some more ideas.  I still like the idea about the sandbagged MG42 and pillboxes.  I think both side should have

Artilery-Bombardment (I actually stole this from another scenario)
    Germans would be able to target the beach hexes, only the beach. 
    After the iniative phase the German player would roll one die.  The result is the number of units disrupted by the artilery bombardment.  (Germans players choice for disrupted units)

Naval-Bombardment
    The allied warships will be able to target a certain number of hexes inland. 
    After the German Artilery phase, the allied player will roll two die.  The result is the number of units disrupted by the naval bombardment.  Units in pillboxes are not affected.  It costs three to disrupt a sanbaged unit.  (Allied players chioce for disrupted units)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m